Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Sorry, Jim - the point I was trying to make is this is not a Motorcraft vs. Autolite thread, it's a promising looking solution to a basic design flaw in making a 2 piece spark plug that is developing quite a history of coming apart. The plugs coming out of the Honeywell factory for this particular engine could say Rotunda or Prestone on them for all that matters, they are seriously flawed, period!
Yes , that is a problem that needs to be addressed and resolved, I've been following that for awhile now and agree.

But Federal Mogul ? I have the feeling that the manufacturer (Fomoco) could fix this problem. They haven't stepped up yet and I'm not sure why. I would like to believe what the OP is saying, but it's just words - statements without supporting data.

If this is indeed legit , then maybe it will spark (no pun) the right a$$ to get it in gear and resolve the defect. The manufacturer may fear a fix of this nature could constitute recall actions. I'm not sure. I would think with the technology today an improved design can't be that difficult. That makes it political - always the stopper.

BTW - It was my impression that the OP thought that Autolites and Motorcraft are one in the same. When the fact is, Autolite is more of a knockoff compared to Motorcraft - A cheap copy that hasn't work very well in the past and in these motors, not in my experience.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-30-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yes , that is a problem that needs to be addressed and resolved, I've been following that for awhile now and agree.

But Federal Mogul ? I have the feeling that the manufacturer (Fomoco) could fix this problem. They haven't stepped up yet and I'm not sure why. I would like to believe what the OP is saying, but it's just words - statements without supporting data.
"Fomoco" as in FORD!? When is the last time FORD made a spark plug? When they owned Autolite, but technically Autolite made the plugs, Ford was the parent company. Kind of like Champion, they MAKE plugs, Federal Mogul doesn't.... BUT Champion a division of Federal Mogul DOES.

If this is indeed legit , then maybe it will spark (no pun) the right a$$ to get it in gear and resolve the defect. The manufacturer may fear a fix of this nature could constitute recall actions. I'm not sure. I would think with the technology today an improved design can't be that difficult. That makes it political - always the stopper.
That could be, "fixing" something proves you acknowledged the "no problem" PROBLEM

BTW - It was my impression that the OP thought that Autolites and Motorcraft are one in the same. When the fact is, Autolite is more of a knockoff compared to Motorcraft - A cheap copy that hasn't work very well in the past and in these motors, not in my experience.
I'll give you that to an extent, brand-name vs. store-brand often the same guy makes them, just at a little lower cost.

However in this case, Autolite/Honeywell is the ONLY company that makes a plug for this engine, and GOD help them if they are making the Autolite cheaper than the Motorcraft already is.

My bud was in meetings all day, I'll push him to get me a picture (and a set for me and my future truck) and post it out here.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 AM

The only way Ford is going to step up and fix this problem is if the get alot of bad publicity about this issue. Now seems like the right time as they are launching their 09 F-150 at the autoshows.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:14 AM
im runnin autolite irridums right now never could be happier they offer a life time replacement warranty on them. if they ever burn up u get another one free.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Iridiums are not platinums. Whole different ball game.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
im runnin autolite irridums right now never could be happier they offer a life time replacement warranty on them. if they ever burn up u get another one free.

5.4L 3-valve is what (most of us) are talking about here. The extended 2-piece shell carbons up and comes apart in the engine.

I didn't hear anything from him today, I think they had a long night and is traveling back today. I'm going on vacation, so developments might be slow, if I hear something I'll let everyone know.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey guys, back from vacation, and look what I had in the mail!

Sorry camera phone pics, the second one is on yesterdays paper, which I brought to work today, I am going to call and price a truck today!

(for you non-believers, cough-cough jbrew cough-cough)

It looks very robust, its one very solid piece of machined steel, strong single (gap able) platinum ground as well as fine wire platinum center electrode.

The terminal end is weird looking/small, it has a longer insulator without adding length, further reduction of flash-over is the reason/benefit I was told.

Man this looks like a winner!

Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed753
Hey guys, back from vacation, and look what I had in the mail!

Sorry camera phone pics, the second one is on yesterdays paper, which I brought to work today, I am going to call and price a truck today!

(for you non-believers, cough-cough jbrew cough-cough)

It looks very robust, its one very solid piece of machined steel, strong single (gap able) platinum ground as well as fine wire platinum center electrode.

The terminal end is weird looking/small, it has a longer insulator without adding length, further reduction of flash-over is the reason/benefit I was told.

Man this looks like a winner!

Pics aren't showing...

Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Much better! Any idea when these will be released?

Last edited by bamorris2; 02-11-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Pics should be coming over, unless you have a filter? (I'm not good at posting pictures)

I guess they started shipping to NAPA this month, and Advance Auto soon. I'm sure they are not down to the retail stores yet.

The plug has "7989" on the ceramic, I'm pretty sure that is the part number.

Last edited by Ed753; 02-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 PM
I posted the pictures as one of my photo albums too:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=15837

Old 02-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... I will only run AUTOLITES in my 5.4 2 - valve. I've tried the NGK's, Champions, and the Denso's. Didn't have good luck with any of them. I change my plugs 4 times a year (once a season) no matter the mileage. I run the AUTOLITE AR copper core race plugs. Cost is only $25(CAN).

I'm currently switching over to 3 - valve heads on my built 5.4. I'm thinking of sending the heads out to have the spark plug ports machined to run a normal 2 - valve spark plug. I'll just have to run a custom coil set-up, which is no big deal.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
I'm currently switching over to 3 - valve heads on my built 5.4. I'm thinking of sending the heads out to have the spark plug ports machined to run a normal 2 - valve spark plug. I'll just have to run a custom coil set-up, which is no big deal.
I don't think that is possible, 3 valves and the spark plug hole all fighting for space in the combustion chamber cylinder head dome. Ford would have done that from the get-go if it were possible. That is why the put the threads up high and snuck the tip down into the combustion chamber.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
So, this is a one piece design right ? I can't tell from the pics. That would be cool . Well, if the heat ranges were in agreement w/ford spec.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-11-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bout time some company Maned up & came out with a solution! If these plugs run well, I'll be installing them at next plug change!........

Quick Reply: Champion Develops "FIX" Plug for 5.4L 3 valves!