Expedition / Navigator

2007 Expedition Radio + speaker install

Old 07-30-2007, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I think about it tomorrow, I'll take a picture of the factory sub that I removed. It might help you figure out how much space you've got to work with.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:06 PM
thanks for the pics. a shot of the old sub would be great too. I love your box. looks really clean. I see a new box in my future. I've got two leftover from my ford pickups and one out of the mustang. None would really fit well.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM
OEM Pics (Post 1 of 3)

Okay, here are the pics of the OEM stuff. Sorry about the background, just took 'em down from the garage attic, plopped them down on the nearest flat surface and snapped the pic.

Name:  sub01-1.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  109.5 KB
Audiophile Sub

Name:  sub02-1.jpg
Views: 1451
Size:  86.0 KB
...again

Name:  subtop.jpg
Views: 3264
Size:  89.5 KB
Top View

Name:  subside.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  69.0 KB
Side View

Old 08-17-2007, 10:41 AM
OEM Pics (Post 2 of 3)

Name:  tweeter01.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  46.2 KB
Audiophile Tweeter

Name:  tweeter02.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  38.5 KB
Back View

Name:  frontspeaker02.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  113.1 KB
Audiophile Front Speaker

Name:  frontspeaker01.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  84.3 KB
Back View

Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
OEM Pics (Post 3 of 3)

Name:  backspeaker02.jpg
Views: 1191
Size:  103.0 KB
Audiophile Back Speaker

Name:  backspeaker01.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  91.1 KB
Back View

Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Nice pix! I always wondered what they look like. The rear coax doesn't look half bad compared to what I have seen before. The older ford upgraded stuff use to use a paper cone type speaker for the rears.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 PM
great pics, now I know I want to yank that factory sub... well not me but a good installer....

thanks for the info!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Jason,

What Polk DB series speakers did you put in?(locking for the model number) Just install a ddx7019 now I want to upgrade the speakers. The rears stink. Also has anyone added any additional speakers to the rear to help out the people in the third seat hear? Thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by huntermaz
What Polk DB series speakers did you put in?(locking for the model number) Just install a ddx7019 now I want to upgrade the speakers. The rears stink. Also has anyone added any additional speakers to the rear to help out the people in the third seat hear? Thanks
Polk db6501 Components in the front and db571 Coaxials in the rear doors.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/newdb.php

As for installing speakers in the 3rd row, I think that's a great idea. Now hurry someone, go out and do it and post the pics and results!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by JasonMerrick
...As I mentioned in another thread, I just installed a 6-channel JBL amp and my old Alpine 10" sub in my EL this week...
How do you think that sub set up would fit in a reg '07, ie. non-EL?

Originally Posted by JasonMerrick
...As for the head unit, I personally didn't want to go that route this time. I had installed a Pioneer 7800 in my '06 Expedition and while it sounded great, I really missed the 6-disc mp3 functionality and the stock look. I'll sacrifice a little bit of sound quality for a better looking and more functional system this time around.
I have the oem Navigation/6 disk mp3 player and the overhead DVD system, so I want to retain all of that... I'm just wanting some more bass.

Well, maybe I'll replace the door speakers as well, so long as they are compatable with the existing HU/amp

Old 11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
You can replace the door speakers no problem. Just pick the most efficient ones you can. Infinity Reference are a good choice.

No one make a prefab enclosure that fits in place of the OEM sub at this point. You would have to have your subs in the cargo area, in which case you can build your own box, etc.

Or you could have a shop make a fiberglass enclosure where the factory sub went, but that's gonna cost you bux IMO.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Buzzz
You can replace the door speakers no problem. Just pick the most efficient ones you can. Infinity Reference are a good choice.

No one make a prefab enclosure that fits in place of the OEM sub at this point. You would have to have your subs in the cargo area, in which case you can build your own box, etc.

Or you could have a shop make a fiberglass enclosure where the factory sub went, but that's gonna cost you bux IMO.
That's pretty much what I was thinking...

I have Infinity speakers in my work truck and had Polks in my old '99 Expy. I prefered the Infinitys.

as for the sub, I can't have a sub box. I will have to have it hidden away somewhere. I need to keep the cargo area open.

I was considering a nice little class D amp and a nice aftermarket woofer to juice up the oem box/location. I don't need to hear the hatchback rattle & hum, I'm just looking for some extra thumb.

Has anybody looked into tossing an 8 in the front console????

Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Petrol

I have Infinity speakers in my work truck and had Polks in my old '99 Expy. I prefered the Infinitys.

as for the sub, I can't have a sub box. I will have to have it hidden away somewhere. I need to keep the cargo area open.

I was considering a nice little class D amp and a nice aftermarket woofer to juice up the oem box/location. I don't need to hear the hatchback rattle & hum, I'm just looking for some extra thumb.

Good luck finding a spot for the sub other than the cargo area. As for the center console, I remember reading on one of the manufacturer's sites (JL?) that their custom sub enclosures for the center console cannot be installed if the Expedition is equipped with RSC. I'm not sure if that info pertained to '07s or not, but I think the '07s all include RSC. So make sure to do some research on that before you make a purchase.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by Petrol

Another option that I see more and more are low profile subs in a box under the rear seats. Check ebay and such.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by Buzzz
Another option that I see more and more are low profile subs in a box under the rear seats. Check ebay and such.
Have you seen any of these installed in Expeditions Buzz? When I was looking for a place to install the amp, I thought about the middle row but when I looked under there realized it wouldn't be possible. The main problem is the 40/20/40 split and all the braces and hardware holding up those seats gets in the way. It's been much easier in older SUVs and trucks that have a 60/40 split or solid bench.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Expedition Radio + speaker install