Lightning

Should I Go WIth 3.73 Or 4.11 Gears Or Leave In The 3.55's????

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2000, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should I Go WIth 3.73 Or 4.11 Gears Or Leave In The 3.55's????

I am thinking about changing the gear in my new L and would like to know if I should go with th 3.73 or the 4.11 gear? I am leaning towards the 4.11's since I only drive my truck on weekends so I am really not worried about gas mileage. Does the new L's respond well to the gear change? Does anyone know the difference in rpms from stock to the 4.11's? I did a search on the gear change and noticed that a lot of people were having problems getting all the correct parts to do the swap. Can you get all the correct parts for the swap now? If so where would you recommend me to purchase the gear from? Lastly I would like to know how this will affect my warrenty. I know that Ford will probably will not cover the new pinion set but will it affect them covering other parts of the truck? Thanks, HANKFAN

Old 07-18-2000, 07:56 PM
HankFan

I have been trying to decide myself. To change or not to change that is the question.

From the info. that I have gathered, the difference between the stock and 3.73's is around 200 RPM. Not enought to really make that big of a difference to justify the cost.

The 4.10's is a different story but the cost is more expensive. I have had quotes around $800.00 to do the job correctly. A lot of $$$ but one should notice the difference in performance.

And yes, the 4.10's would indeed cause a problem with the warranty. Plus, you would need a chip to have the speedometer register correctly.

This just my .02 but I hope someone on the board can tell me that I am stupid for not going ahead and make the 4.10 change. Go ahead I need an excuse any excuse

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, 35% tint
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 07-18-2000, 08:30 PM
Exclamation

I think Jim pretty well covered most of the bases. You didn't say why you contemplated the swap, though. If you plan to drag race a lot then obviously you are going to get some drag radials, which as I understand it are smaller than the stock F1s, and the 3.73s might work well. Also, since they are a Ford part you can get the shims, etc, from Ford, and your speedometer can be programmed by your dealer without installing a chip. However, if you are talking street use on the F1s I don't think you will see much difference with the 3.73s. Not only will the 4.10s give you better accelleration out of the hole, they will dramatically improve the top speed, too, because the stock gears never let the motor get on top of the power curve in O.D. I think the 4.10s should have been standard, but I guess Ford was looking at C.A.F.E. and possible bitches about gas milage.
There are lots of caveats with the 4.10s, though. They are expensive. The install needs to be done by somebody who really knows what they are doing, and most dealers don't. I had one guy ruin a set of gears because he used the wrong pinion nut. Some of the necessary parts may need to be fabricated because they can't be purchased off the shelf. And your truck won't shift right with the 4.10s until the speedo is reprogrammed, and you have to have a chip to do it. So, it can be a big, expensive hassle, but in my case, given the improved drivability of the truck, I don't begrudge a nickel of it.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, cam bolts, 4.10 gears
(soon, Swanson's chip and MAF, Cal-tracs)
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, Radar, and Sounder/DGPS chartplotter

gmvye@pacbell.net

Old 07-18-2000, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all of the information. I would like to know if someone could list everything that I would need to do the swap to 4.10 gears(part nunbers)? I was thinking about buying Ford gears but I heard that they quit making them. Is this true? Also what part is not available off the shelf that I would have to get my shop to make?

Thanks, HANKFAN

Old 07-18-2000, 11:16 PM
Correct, Ford no longer sells the 4.10's. I know. I just had my order cancelled by the dealership.

The only thing that you need for the change is $$$$$$$$$. The gear shop should have or be able to get all the stuff you need.

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels,
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, 35% tint
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Old 07-18-2000, 11:28 PM
HANKFAN: I've had my 4.10's now for about 5-6 weeks now and all I can say is this: Remember the grin you got on your face when you first drove your L? Go find where you put it, cause you'll be wearing it again, it's that dramatic.

Regarding specific part numbers, it depends upon whose gears you go with. The Ford Motorsport (FRPP) gears are M-4209-H410 (catalog states $199.99 retail). You will need the following pinion nut from the regular parts counter: N811024-S100 (about $9-12.00 depending upon if you get any discount). Make sure you tell whomever does the install if you use the gearset above to _not_ repeat _not_ repeat _not_ reuse the old nut (don't ask me how I know)...

As has already been mentioned 4.10's will require speedo correction via non-factory means (chip or speedo shop). I have been thru 2 of the roadside radar informational displays that show your speed and my PSP is dead accurate.

I know you said gas mileage wasn't a factor but I got 15.5 mpg on the interstate with the A/C on, T/Gate up and driving 65-80 for about 1800 miles round trip.

3rd members when setup correctly are pretty much bulletproof, so warranty shouldn't be much of an issue. It should not affect the remainder of your warranty unless the dealership can prove that particular modification caused the part in question to fail (see the Moss-Magnusson <sp?> legislation for details). That doesn't mean they won't try to hassle you or make you believe your complete warranty is toast. Basically it says (for instance) if you go in because your A/C doesn't work the dealer can't blame your aftermarket gears. If you go in complaining of gear whine however, you should bring along a paddle, because the creek will be messy.

Now, as others have already stated, the difference between 3.55's and 4.10's is 400 rpm. Whereas the stocker will rock-n-roll from a 55mph stomp you'll get the same from 50 mph with the steeper gears.

This is one modification I don't recommend you try at home unless you've done it before. This doens't mean you should just hand over your checkbook to the guy either. Try and find out where the 4x4 guys get their drivetrain stuff done and go there.

The biggest downside would be green light traction. This will depend upon any other mods done, etc., but in my case even M/T ET Streets at 26x11.50x16's won't let me hook. Rolling start driveability however is pin-you-in-your-seat (see grin above).

Would I do it again? Yes...and sooner than before because drag racing traction isn't that important to me. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-18-2000, 11:39 PM
Rest In Peace
Location: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Is there anything between 3.73 and 4.10 or 4.11 for that matter? From the looks of it, 3.90 would be a good gear ratio (not sure if it is made).

roger,

Have you gone top speed with your present gear setup? If so, do you dare say haw fast? Or what your tach was reading. And did you do the swap yourself? If not how much did it cost out the door? Nice thread.

Old 07-19-2000, 10:08 AM
Important point to throw out...yes, the 3.73:1 gears only increase engine RPM by 200 at all speeds, however, it increases SUPERCHARGER RPM by 500RPM at every speed. While in a naturally aspirated car, such a small gear swap would seem insignifigant, I believe its the SC that makes the big seat of the pants difference with this gear swap.

------------------
AtomHeart
2000 Silver Lightnin'
1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra R code w/ 3.91 dragpack
atomhart@cyberhighway.net

Old 07-19-2000, 10:49 AM
Hey all,

I had 4.10 gears on order for six weeks before they finally told me Ford isn't making anymore. I got my 4.10's installed at Pyle Brothers in Baytown, Texas. All these guys do is differentials! Anyway, you can get the complete gear set from them for $289. They ship worldwide. I saw a .15 second improvemnt in my 1/8th mile times and suspect two to three tenths in the quarter easy.

Their phone number is (281) 421-5878. The key with gears is to find a good (very experienced) installer.

Old 07-19-2000, 11:22 AM
The difference in tire height between the stock 28" tall tire and a 26' tall drag tire is about the same as going to the 3.73 instead of the stock 3.55.
I put the 4.10 in and with the shorter tires the dynamic ratio is closer to a 4.56.
On a mid 12 sec. run you are just about wound out in 3rd gear.
On a low 12 sec run you are over winding 3rd gear. That was why BABolt and myself made the 15" wheels. To run taller tires and take out some dynamic gear.

Go with the 4.10!

HIGH RISK

Old 07-19-2000, 11:58 AM
Thumbs up

HANKFAN,
I might as well throw in my .02 cents worth. I did the 3.73 swap a few weeks ago. It was a project considering I took it upon myself to also rebuild the carrier(whole different story there) and the gear swap at the same time.Yes, the 4.10's are dicontinued.I believe that Downs Ford in Toms River NJ still has a few sets at a price of 550 a set . If your looking for a strip gain I would reccomend the 3.73's. With a 26" tire that would be a 4.09 at the track. Now, if you had the 4.10's, that would be somewhere like a 4.31 gear. In my opinion just too steep for the shorter tires. You would need a taller tire just as HIGHRISK informed you.
If your looking to purchase the gears, I would suggest calling JEG"S Performance, or Summit Racing.They both sell the gears for 199. You will also need to purchase a new pinion nut and new pinion bearing to be pressed on the new pinion to complete the job. For the gear change only, there's not much too it.Just be sure to have a qualified person do the job.
If your not planning on running the strip, and just looking for difference on the street. I would not even bother wasting the money, I have not really noticed a big difference on the street,exept that OD pulls very strong . Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to contact me at Spiro99SVT@aol.com.

------------------
Spiro-TEAM PSP
BLK. #1476

Best run to date
12.753 @107.98
Best 60` 1.84
Best m.p.h. 107.98
@ 4700 lbs.
"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

LAUNCH HARD

[This message has been edited by Spiro99SVT (edited 07-19-2000).]

Old 07-19-2000, 01:01 PM
Lightning BOB, Good to hear from ya'. Yup, those Pockets are just about Empty for now . I think I should slow down and wait lol. This is all going way too fast for me.... See ya soon Bud

Spiro-

Old 07-19-2000, 10:03 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I will be ordering the 4.10 gears shortly. I called Pyle Brothers and a 4.10 US Gear with shims and a pinion nut will cost me $326.00 delivered. Not bad I guess. I would like to know how much wheelspin should I expect from the stock F-1's with the 4.10 gears? Currently with 3.55 gears and I Superchip I am having a hard time lauching without some wheel spin. Is there wheel spin in between the 1st and 2nd gear shift?
Thanks, HANKFAN

Old 07-19-2000, 11:58 PM
Tundra: I haven't done a top speed run since the gear changeover. I have done a dyno run to 5500 in 3rd but the readouts I just referenced didn't have the MPH listed anywhere. I may try to call them tomorrow and see if they could pull those up and find out for me.

I didn't do the install myself. I don't have the tools to setup the ring & pintion depth so I use a shop that specializes in rear ends and trannys. They've done 2 gear changes for me over the years and I haven't had one problem (knock on wood) with the gears after I got the vehicles back.

Price was gears + $200.00 labor for the install. Cheaper prices can be found but this guy's track record was such that I didn't even think about it.

HIGHRISK: Any more info on the 15" wheels? How about the brake caliper issue? What tires did you guys end up going with?

Old 07-20-2000, 12:16 AM
Roger,
BABolt has posted several pictures of the wheels on my truck. Search 15" wheels in action. He is going to post pics of the calipers after shaving them down but my truck is under the knife right now. Ask BABolt about the part nos. and specs. He did all the reasearch and I was just the ginney pig for them.

HIGH RISK

Quick Reply: Should I Go WIth 3.73 Or 4.11 Gears Or Leave In The 3.55's????