Lightning

Does lowering a truck = better 1/4 times?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2000, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Does lowering a truck = better 1/4 times?

Does lowering a truck = better 1/4 times? Wouldnt it make the veicle more arodynamic?

------------------
99 F-150 Sport XLT Black x-cab 4.6L auto 3.55
K&N filter and dual series 40 flowmasters

Old 06-21-2000, 07:40 PM
Question

I was wondering the same thing, but about
launch times.

I wouldn't think the aerodynamics would be better, but then again I'm no aerospace
person.

But before I put my Roush suspension
in, if you floored it, you could feel the
real axle torque down before it moved
forward. After the Roush kit, it doesn't do
that anymore. Anyone notice better launch
times?

------------------
99.5 White F-150 SVT Lightning
Roush Suspension
6 disk changer
Towing Package
Duraliner Bed Liner
And of course tinted windows

Old 06-21-2000, 08:35 PM
Talking

Your launch will not improve with lowering. You may lose 1 to 2 tenth. Go check it out I did.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 06-21-2000, 09:07 PM
I agree. If the suspension is now tighter, especially in the rear, then weight transfer will be worse than stock.

Also, as far as aerodynamics...its not going to make a hill of beans with the times these trucks run. Unless you're doing like 120-130+...which is unlikely in the 1/4 mile.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)--390rwhp/441rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)--362rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 06-21-2000, 09:24 PM
I had my truck lowered and I also added traction bars. I would say my suspension is quite a bit stiffer than stock. I am FAR from knowledgeable in this area but just from my own experience it seems there are pros and cons to a stiffer rear. When I had my stock suspension my truck was too "wiggly" when I tried to launch, it would dig in (and dig up all the track), swerve to the left and right, and I would have to back off before going sideways. When I first installed the traction bars it was TOO stiff and I couldn't get any weight transfer. But after backing them off it seems the key is to find a happy medium where the rear is balanced and stiff enough to launch in a straight line, but not so stiff as to not allow any weight transfer. Obviously the tires will hook up better if they stay straight. My launches have definitely been better than when it was stock.

Mike

Old 06-21-2000, 10:00 PM
Question

Those of you with the Roush Lowering kit, i called roush and they said they didnt recommend their kit on the LIghtnings, so which kit are you guys using from Roush?

Old 06-21-2000, 10:33 PM
Smile

Black2000L,

I purchased a Chassis Tech Drop Kit. This included coil springs for the front and leaf spring hangers for the rear. Also included shims to angle the rear-end / drive shaft correctly. This kit dropped my truck 2 inches.

You MUST get the front-end re-aligned and make sure they install a cam kit. I’m not too sure how others are getting away with out using a cam kit, the front-end is way out before the additional 2-inch lowering kit was installed (My front right tire was already showing inside wear at 3,000 miles). I guess Ford Motor Company installs the drop spring, which lowers the Lightning 1 inch lower than a regular F-150, and does nothing to the caster/camber or alignment.

Well after a great front-end guy my Lightning drives straight as an arrow and rides terrific.

Good Luck

------------------
2000 Lightning, Chassis Tech Drop Kit, 80 mm Mass Air, w/ K&N Filter, Flow Master 40 Series Exhaust, Billet Upper & Lower Grill, 100HP Nitrous Oxide NOS System.
GO FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES

Old 06-21-2000, 10:33 PM
Cool

I have the standard Roush F-150 suspension with the Bilstein shocks. The work was done by an approved Roush garage and I now have a Roush serial number sticker inside the passenger door facing. I've been very pleased with the improved cornering ability and I probably have lost some payload (maybe 40%?). It wouldn't surprise me if I lost some traction at launch as well, but since I did not take it to the strip before the suspension work, I can't say for sure.

I'd do it again in a minute. As far as aerodynamics goes, the frontal area of the truck remains unchanged. The only difference is about a 3" tall section of the front tires.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 06-22-2000).]

Old 06-21-2000, 11:37 PM
Lightbulb

If it means anything,I just installed my 2 inch shacles and I just got my best 60 ft time on F1s 1.98>>>>>>>>

Old 06-21-2000, 11:56 PM
I have lowered my with the beltech kit, and also add new stiffer (expensive) shocks. The bolt never launched better. I don't know the problems BABOLT had but this truck launches better than ever, I raced my buddies 99 C5 Vette & I took him out of the hole by 1 1/2 car lengths, he close a little on the 2-3 shift but I still took him by 1\2 car lenght.
Terry

------------------
99.5 Factory Red Clearcoat, Chromed SVT rims, Polished Billet Grills, F1 Cobra Hood, Color matched Lo-pro snuglid, clear corner lenses & tailights, superchipped, sal air filter, Bel-tech 3/4 lowering kit, okole seat covers (red), rhino liner, color matched muth mirrors, 25 piece REd carbon fiber dashboard kit, JBA headers and V1 radar detector.
BTW-Some secret stuff...
Completed on 4/21/00.
Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 06-21-2000).]

Old 06-22-2000, 12:26 AM
Talking

asdeman
There is no problem. My truck sits with a rake (nose down). I debated for several months as to lower or not to lower my Lightning. I think that I was the first to do so, at least the first one that Roush did. I saved all of my time slips both before and after lowering. It did slow down at the drag strip. Yes it handles great and I would recommend it but not to the all out drag racing guy. I don't know if your are addressing real drag racing or street racing, there is a difference and all too often because a car may be fast in one venue it does not mean that it will be fast in another. I know of no one that has a calibrated A$$ and can state how fast a vehicle is (close yes right on I don't think so). In less than a one week span I have tested 4 different chips at the drag strip. They all gave me great expectations on the street and left me disappointed at the strip. Next step I will be dropping my Lightning an additional .25 inches all for looks. I really don't care if I am the fastest just want to look and run good.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 06-22-2000, 01:33 PM
I had my Roush suspension installed in
So. CA in December. They didn't have any
problems doing it.

-Tom

------------------
99.5 White F-150 SVT Lightning
Roush Suspension
6 disk changer
Towing Package
Duraliner Bed Liner
And of course tinted windows

Old 06-22-2000, 01:49 PM
BABolt, I beg to differ with you on the calibrated a$$ thing. Just take a look at some of Ray's recent post. You will see that he can feel what times his truck will run before he goes to the track. LOL

Jerry

Old 06-22-2000, 03:23 PM
You re a funny guy
Lets see if it adds up.

I said after my superchip install My truck wasnt as quick as my 99 13.7.I guess I was right

After my swnsons chip install I specifically quoted my estimate at 13.3!! Gee I guess I was right.Im not saying that I can do this on any vechicle but when you drive one all the time you can feel differences.Ive been to the track before and after all of my installs and YES Jerry,I can feel even slight differences.You should not be so quick to jump on someones opinion ,Especially when they have been right almost everytime!

One more thing ,Some of you are real smart a$$es,Remember the sunoco 94 thread???Ya I think you do.Well guess what,I ran 92 in my truck last night and golly,My truck detonated a little going down the track,I have never had this happen before.Ive raced many many times.So I guess I was right about that one too.I still claim to feel the diffrence between ultra 94 and reg 92.One difference is detonation now,the other like I said it feels a little more crisp.

You guys must be right,You are all experts.Just like some are wimps when it comes to tatoos and some take it like nothing.This has to do with senses and everybody is different.Pain is the same but everybody takes things different.even though Jerry didnt say anything wrong,I can tell by his previous post concerning my threads that he was trying to be a smart A$$ in this one.Its that sense thing

Old 06-22-2000, 03:31 PM
I photoshopped the picture of Sixpipes truck to lighten it a bit...

Doug

Quick Reply: Does lowering a truck = better 1/4 times?