Lightning

Shift kit vs. shift program from chip

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shift kit vs. shift program from chip

I have decided to start putting some mods on my truck. I have not decided on what chip I am going to go with yet. But I wanted to ask a question about the transmission. Which is going to be better in the long run for my transmission a Level 10 or Trans Go shift kit or just higher line pressures from the chip I decide on ? I am leaning toward a shift kit since I want as much reliability as I can get. But please give me your opinions. Also this is only a street truck I do not take it to the track. Thanks for your time.

John..
2000 Silver Lightning

Old 05-18-2001, 10:40 AM
I'd go both. The Level 10 kit took me 30 minutes to install (just a plunger and a few springs). Anyone's chip you get will increase your line pressure. You just have to tell the chip burner about the shift kit. I didn't tell them on my first burn, and my back-end was coming around on 1-2 shifts!

Old 05-18-2001, 10:42 AM
I'd say your best bet would be to first decide what chip you're going to get, and see if the shift firmness from that alone is what you're looking for. From what people have said, it seems that there is variation between how much pressure the chip tuners put in their respective programs. The chip alone will make a pretty big difference over stock.

Personally, I have the ever so trendy chip/filter/90mm MAF combo AND a Factory_Tech accumulator valve, and although have yet to get a legit bark out of the second gear shift, the tires feel like they are on the verge and every ounce of power is being transfered to the ground- which I suppose in the interest of speed is a good thing (although a chirp here or there would be nice). Hopefully when my pulley comes in I'll be singing a different tune, but we'll have to wait and see. But then again, I don't know if I'd even here the tires light up over the sound my straight pipes make. They are L-O-U-D.

As for durability and which shift mod is better for your tranny, the way it was explained to me is that tranny wear occurs due to slow shifts (longer clutch slippage or something like that), not due to firmness, so by shortening the duration (which any kit will do), you'll be doing your tranny a favor. Good luck with whatever you choose. Later...

------------------
Being Single...
Seeing Double...
Going for the triple
(((Garrett))))
'00 Silver Lightning
'01 CR250
'00 NESC MX Amateur Champ
#65 NESC / #465 AMA

motoxer@wpi.edu
gkaye@rjagroup.com
AOL IM: GK65A

Old 05-19-2001, 12:07 AM
Level 10 Kit and PSP Chip, or come in second everytime.

------------------
"1 Bad Tk"
1999 Red Lightning
"Tweeked To The Max"
<A HREF="http://www.haloclub.com" TARGET=_blank> </A>
"See Ya At The Tree"
Yahoo Messenger: onebadtk

Old 05-21-2001, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just what I think,

Never use software to alter shift duration (the time it takes the shift to occur), chips are fine to alter shift points (when the shift occurs) but when you start modifying line pressure with software you run the risk of the chip maintaining line pressure to the accumulator at the expense of the lubrication circuit (can anyone see where this is going), using valves to control line pressure eliminates this possibility because the boost occurs after the SS, and the minimum pressure to the lube circuit is upstream of this. I'm not saying that your chip will starve the lube circuit, I'm sure that some chip burners have thought about this contingency, but I'm sure a few haven't, (I've discussed this with Sal, so I know he's factored it in), but if you don't know for sure, do you want to bet?, a new tranny is $1484, plus $1000 core charge and about $900 labor to install, and if the lube circuit has been starved by software commands it ain't under warranty. Sal sells the kit I designed, just ask Spiro for one, of use the Level 10, it's essentailly a very similar kit, (the one Sal sells is allready installed into a new accumulator, Level 10 you install valves and springs into your old one) but the point is use a mechanical solution, not software. Just what I think....

G

Old 05-21-2001, 11:21 AM
You mention the core charge, does that mean when the chip has caused the failure and or the damage is to sever that they wont accept the old tranny as a core?

Tt

Quick Reply: Shift kit vs. shift program from chip