Lightning

Calling 3/4 Belltech Lowered

Old 05-07-2001, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Calling 3/4 Belltech Lowered

Got the3/4 belltech lowering kit, and it seems to bottom out in the back end quite easily. Have you changed the shocks out too? When I eye ball it, it seems like the remaining shock travel is less than the distance from the stop to the axle, which means you are hitting the top of the shock before you bottom out on the axle. Rear height from wheelwell to ground is 29 and5/8", and front is 30 and3/4". I have seen these the nitro active drop shocks(which are shorter and regain the lost travel), any comments?

------------------
01L,Lowered, Black,Downey SST,Straight Pipes,Chipped........ Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/Lowered
...... ......

Old 05-07-2001, 09:18 PM
Do you still have the stock bumpstops? Usually if you drop your car/truck much you need to change shocks also. I would find out first what it is bottoming out on. The bumpstops are an easy fix compared to new shocks..

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Gone but not forgotten
01 picked up on 5/5/01
hud@mc.net

Old 05-07-2001, 10:06 PM
Changed the stops to the ones that came with the Belltech, However, when you eyeball the differerence, between the axle to the stop and the shock travel leftover, the shock travel looks a lot less than the distance from the stop to the axle!
(I don't think I spelled diference right)

------------------
01L,Lowered, Black,Downey SST,Straight Pipes,Chipped........ Toy: 91 Heritage Softtail Classic/Lowered
...... ......

Old 05-07-2001, 10:17 PM
NOSTROMO
C-Section Time......

Old 05-07-2001, 11:55 PM
You need to change to shorter shocks. Although after you do your axle will probably hit the frame once and a while. I "C" sectioned mine to eliminate the banging.

------------------

Airaid, Spal Fan, FPPTB,PSP Pulley, Brembo's, R9 Flip Chip, PSP loop, 4:10's.

Old 05-08-2001, 12:03 AM
Nope, you sure didn't. Neither time! "difference" Hope this helps ;-)

------------------
US ARMY DRILL SERGEANT
HOOAH!!

HIS:
00 HD F-150: Clear corners, bug deflector and ventvisors, 01 Lightning tail lights
00 Triumph Daytona 955i

HERS:
01 Nissan Pathfinder
00 Buell Blast

Old 05-08-2001, 01:11 AM
I have found one of the rear spring clamps hitting the top sway bar mount.I am going to build my own end links and I am going to change the rear shocks out later.On the front it is siting on the stops I have yet to go back and cut them down it sitting at 30 1/4 in the front and 29 3/4 out back. It is not a bolt on kit they never are...but it looks way cool

Old 05-08-2001, 09:51 AM
Talking

I did the BellTech 3/4 with the Nitro Active shocks. With the BellTech kit the truck bottomed out a LOT (axel to bump stops) in the rear. Even with the shorter bump stops. No problems with the front. Also the back looked too low, lower than the front. (It actually was lower than the front)

I ended up putting the stock shackles back on which raised the back about an inch. It only bottoms out occationally now and it looks MUCH better. More Hot Rod looking and less Low Rider looking.

My thoughts on the kit after having it on for a few months....

1) Looks: Awesome !

2) Handling: Like a slot car !

3) Ride: (Here's the trade off) Much stiffer than stock. Kind of bouncy and jouncy. No where near as nice as stock. Sometimes I feel like I'm riding around in one of those bouncing Low Rider cars.

Would I do it again ? Yes ! (see item 1 above)

------------------
Dave

dgoetsch@socal.rr.com

2000 Red SVT Lightning - Built 6/26/00 #4197 of 4966

Performance Mods: Superchip R9, JL 12" Powerstack Air Filter, Magnaflow Muffler P/N 12568

Appearance Mods: Snugtop Snuglid, Line-X Spray-in Bedliner, Stull Billet Grilles, Clear Corners
Super White Bulbs, Tinted Side Windows, Lightning Hitch Cover, Many more to come.......

Old 05-08-2001, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info. Maybe it's just me but I haven't heard of the BellTech bottoming out problem yet, at least not to this extent. Is everyone (besides you guys) just installing them and not saying anything about them bottoming out?
Being this is my daily driver I'll be looking at other kits since I don't need my truck bottoming out, espically since I will use it as a truck and put stuff in the bed ocassionally. Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what lowering kit gives the best ride for daily driving and general truck use?

Thanks,

------------------
Adam
01 Black Lightning - JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

Old 05-11-2001, 10:17 PM
NOSTROMO
You might want ot consider the HOTCHKIS kit....it lowers the truck one inch in the front and two in the rear....perfect for a daily driver....although the 3/4 drop in my opinon looks way better.

Old 05-11-2001, 10:43 PM
Posting Rights Suspended
Adam:

I've done the BellTech 3/4 also, and the only time I've bottomed is when the shackles are set to the lowest setting. IMO, the lowest setting looks wrong due to the reverse rake. The back will actually sit 1" lower than the front.

If you set the new shackes to the next setting, no bottoming is noticed and it will sit perfectly level...

I just installed BellTech Nitroactives a couple of weeks ago. Haven't driven it yet to say if I've notice any difference. Will let you know.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. 100HP Shot NOS, NGK TR6 Plugs, BellTech 3/4 drop, BellTech Nitroactive shocks, Ford MotorSport Chrome Lightning wheels, Super Chip(TRAC). K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps w/billet inserts, clear corner lenses, Cervinis Ram Air hood, ARE Cover w/ wing, Momo billet pedals, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost and nitrous gauges, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000 subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Color-matched Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, Trenz billet grills, Piaa 9007 Super Whites, Bucket Seat Conversion, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/

2001 Lexus IS-300
2001 EB Expedition

[This message has been edited by TampaSVT (edited 05-11-2001).]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Calling 3/4 Belltech Lowered