Lightning

Drop shackles vs. Roush suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Drop shackles vs. Roush suspension

I will be wanting to drop the *** end of my lightning when I get it and was wondering would it be better to just do the shackles to save money or use the Roush suspension kit. Have anyone had any problems with using shackles? and what are the pros and cons to the roush. thank you

Old 01-16-2001, 06:00 PM
Evil:

While the Roush kit is certainly a complete solution, if you're only wanting to drop the rear 2", the shackles are the easiest fix for that. With that type of mod, you don't even need pinion shims. Total cost is -$70.00.

The full BellTech kit is less than 1/2 that of the Roush kit and gives you the same effect.

Hope that helps.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. 100HP Shot NOS, BellTech 3/4 drop, Super Chip(TRAC). K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, Sir Michael's roll pan, smooth corners and steps w/billet inserts, clear corner lenses, Cervinis Ram Air hood, ARE Cover w/ wing, Momo billet pedals, cd changer, cover, Phantom boost and nitrous gauges, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX Thunder 4000 subs. 5-channel 500w. Clarion amp.(APA5241), (4)Polk Audio 3-way, 130w. DX 7's, Color-matched Muth signal mirrors, Soundproofed cab, BedRug, Trenz billet grills, Piaa 9007 Super Whites, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/

2001 PT Cruiser - Limited Edition
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-16-2001, 06:31 PM
If anybody claims problems with just shackles,they are foolin you.They work great and should not even cost you $70. even at $70,Its a steal!

Old 01-16-2001, 06:34 PM
Where is the best place to purchase shackles? and where can I find info on the bel tec stuff. Thank you both for the help

Old 01-16-2001, 06:34 PM
If you want a great deal,call Godfather customs(they are a large advertiser in 'TRUCKIN magazine) and order 88-98 chevy 2 inch shackles.They are THE SAME part as fords with a different # They will cost you $29 plus shipping about $7.fords are probally 49-59. save money,trust me they are the same.That is what has been used on 3 of my last late model fords!!

Old 01-16-2001, 07:56 PM
AIM shackles are little pieces of *****, IMHO... Find the BellTech ones. I've had both so I can make an honest observation.

Rich

Old 05-01-2001, 11:00 PM
Well I finally found a set of those Belltech shackles. I just put my order in for them tonight from Lightningforce. I know these shackles are sort of hard to get a hold of because there are not many people running them. I have been reccomended to these over the AIM shackles by several people. Give him a ring at UNI4MONEY@aol.com and he'll set you up with a pair.

Roger Lee

------------------
Silver 2001
Bed Rug
Black Max tonneau

Old 05-02-2001, 11:51 AM
DB
Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TampaBayLightning:
AIM shackles are little pieces of *****, IMHO... Find the BellTech ones. I've had both so I can make an honest observation.

Rich
</font>

Why do you say that? Is it a quality issue? I've got a pair of AIM's sitting in the garage waiting for an install, but if there is an issue with them, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 05-02-2001, 01:04 PM
Anyone have the Roush kit? If so how do you like it and how much was it? Just curious since the lowering of my truck is as probable as another Jesse Jackson junior turning up.

Thanks,
Adam
01 Black Lightning - JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

Old 05-02-2001, 01:16 PM
Hello all..

When it comes to drop shackles I think it is a matter of taste.. I too have compared BellTech, Western and AIM shackles side by side.. and to be honest.. I did not see any real difference.. I did not break out my calipers and get all crazy comparing them.. but for what they do.. they are fine.. Now when it comes to Spindles and other items that can more seriously effect your suspension geometry.. DO NOT BE CHEAP.. You get what you pay for..

Just my 2 cents..

------------------
Got Boost ?
1999 SVT Lightning

Old 05-02-2001, 01:57 PM
All that I can say is that the Rouch set up is sweet. No cutting, no drilling, no bad dreams of stuff braking becouse you f-ed with it. I am not trying to start up anything but from a profesional stand point I dont think it is good to start cutting and moving stuff. Sorry but I see stuff come in hear that has been choped and dropped and it would make a grown man cry. Just my brain overloading, sorry.

Paul

Old 05-02-2001, 02:04 PM
If you drop the back 2 inches will it affect the ride of the 2001L? I was thinking about dropping the back of my L with the roush kit and was wondering if it will be a harder ride. Also how much does it cost for the rear 2" roush drop?

------------------
Proud owner of a Silver 2001 Lightning!
Magnaflow 12468
******** X-2000
Synthetic
BaBolts Exhaust Tips

Old 05-02-2001, 02:13 PM
Also where is the best place to by Roush products?

Old 05-02-2001, 03:31 PM
My question is this. If the 01 L is lower than the 00 L by 1 inch in the front and 2 inches in the rear, won't it sit an inch lower in the rear comparativley? More important will the rear look lower than the front?Anybody?

Old 05-02-2001, 03:35 PM
DB
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mondo1:
My question is this. If the 01 L is lower than the 00 L by 1 inch in the front and 2 inches in the rear, won't it sit an inch lower in the rear comparativley? More important will the rear look lower than the front?Anybody?</font>
Mondo,

I think that 01's are at the same ride-heights (front/rear) as the 99-00's.

Quick Reply: Drop shackles vs. Roush suspension