Lightning

Hotchkis handling kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2001, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hotchkis handling kit

I spoke to Mark today from Hotchkis about their handling kit for the G2 Lightning.

The kit consists of, re-engineered springs front/rear, different anti-sway bars, different bump stops, ect... Sorry but I don't remember everything verbatim. After the installation your L will be 1" lower than normal on all 4 corners. The disturbing part of this project is that they have such a high standard of quality that the normal vendor for the shocks can't supply a replacement for at least 1 year. I guess that we could use the poopie 01 Blistines for $135.

Mark drove the prototype extended cab F-150 2" drop and felt that compared to stock it was quite surprising.

They will start to sell the kit in about 8 weeks minus the shocks for $1000. Once the kit is available to the GP then you can buy the entire package or piece by piece.

Sport truck did an expose today on the test truck and will have an article in the next few months.

Personally I was expecting a little more, while I do like the 1" drop and the fact that the rear springs were addressed.

I think I'll see what SoCal can do in a 1"-2" drop.

Any new ideas from anyone?

Old 04-12-2001, 09:28 AM
I've talked to them also. I thought the rear was going to be a 2" drop. We probably will not know until a production kit is available.

Hotchkiss makes solid stuff and their quality is second-to-none. I've decided to wait for their set-up.

Old 04-12-2001, 10:26 AM
Talking

I just installed the Bell Tech 3/4 drop but a little different than most.

For you new guy's. Most lowering kits are actually made for a standard f-150 so the drop to our trucks are actually about an inch less than stated. The Bell Tech 3/4 will acutally drop drop an L about 2/3.

I happen to like the stock rake of the truck. I grew up in SoCal in the 60s & 70s and a raked vehicle with FAT tires was the only way to go. I can't stand the look of a truck that sits perfectly level like a car.

So....

I did the complete Bell Tech kit with the Nitro Active shocks, but, I left my stock shackles on. This gave me EXACTLY a 2" drop front and rear.

For less than $500 my truck now looks AWESOME and handles like a slot car. I love it.

------------------
Dave

dgoetsch@socal.rr.com

2000 Red SVT Lightning - Built 6/26/00 #4197 of 4966

Performance Mods: Superchip R9, JL 12" Powerstack Air Filter, Magnaflow Muffler P/N 12568

Appearance Mods: Snugtop Snuglid, Line-X Spray-in Bedliner, Stull Billet Grilles, Clear Corners
Super White Bulbs, Tinted Side Windows, Lightning Hitch Cover, Many more to come.......

Old 04-12-2001, 10:38 AM
Question

does anyone know where I can find stiffer springs that DONT lower my truck? I like my ride height but really want to improve handling.

Old 04-12-2001, 10:57 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeedFourSpeed:
I've talked to them also. I thought the rear was going to be a 2" drop. We probably will not know until a production kit is available.

Hotchkiss makes solid stuff and their quality is second-to-none. I've decided to wait for their set-up.
</font>
Yes we are both correct, the kit is a 2" drop for a standard F150 and a 1" drop for a G2 Lightning.

I also aggree that Hotchkis Kits are second to none, but at least I was expecting them to suggest a interum shock until theirs came in. I'm not sure what to do when the shock required is a nonstandard size.

Old 04-12-2001, 03:49 PM
Old 04-12-2001, 03:51 PM
Nathan you have mail...

Old 04-12-2001, 08:19 PM
Thumbs up

I guess it depends on how low you want to go, I did the BellTech 3/4 drop kit with the BellTech nitro-active shocks. It gives the truck a more agressive look and improves the handling. Here is a few pics.. Bill

------------------
Bill
'00 white lightning-#2030 of 4966-4/6/00 thursday
muth mirrors,door key pad mod,fog light mod, Homelink remote
clear corners, super white; headlights,corners,fogs,
trenz billet upper and lower grills, billet 3rd brake light cover,
Bedrug, harley davidson tonneau cover,
JDM flip chip, JDM lower pulley, 90mm mass air, JDM tranny mod,
JDM 5"aluminum driveshaft,
J.L. stage 2 ram air kit
BellTech 3/4 lowering kit
2001 tails installed
20" chrome lightning wheels on order
more to come....
my zing albums-_-click here-_
'00 harley davidson FLSTC tons of custom parts..
'99.5 nissan pathfinder le-STILLEN EQUIPPED
'88 toyota show truck(TONKA)
'91 toyota mr2 turbo (to many mods to list)
'00 yamaha banshee(toomy race kit/chrome pipes)

Old 04-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Looks very nice Bill. Now I've got another @#&$% decision to make!

Old 04-12-2001, 08:58 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hdmlnium:
I guess it depends on how low you want to go, I did the BellTech 3/4 drop kit with the BellTech nitro-active shocks. It gives the truck a more agressive look and improves the handling. Here is a few pics.. Bill

</font>

Bill you hardly ever see a white one, very nice.

Like the DA that I am, I looked for a car/truck for about 1 month after I returned from Japan. I never saw anything interesting other than a new Carrera.

I finally saw a white 99 Lightning on a TNT car show and proceded to the local Ford dealership to pick one up that day!

If you read between the lines there's a huge joke in there.

To this day I've never seen a white 99 L in person?

Old 04-13-2001, 12:49 AM
lgogether - I here you on the shock issue.

Red Racer - I'm with you on the rake appearance. I think you've got a cost effective solution that will not kill me if I want to go with Hotchkiss in the future. I see to much wheelwell for my tastes and as you indicated, lowering the center of gravity could help the handling some.

Quick Reply: Hotchkis handling kit