Towing & Hauling

Towing a Uhaul trailer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a Uhaul trailer

I'm going to be moving soon about 180 mile trip one way plan to use a uhaul trailer there 6x12 enclosed one. On my bumper my ? is I never towed before so what should I look for when I go to pick up the trailer. Also why do they only recomend a slow @$$ speed of 45 I'm sure the tires on the trailer can handle faster speeds than that.

Old 08-26-2002, 10:13 PM
You'll need a 4 pin wiring connector to work with the lights on the trailer and make sure your bumper can take about 5000 # - those 6x12's can get pretty heavy.

They have surge brakes, so you don't need a brake controller or a 7 pin connector and they have a 2" ball as I recall.

I have towed lots of Uhauls and never paid any attention to the 45 mph thing - I think you would be more dangerous on the highway doing 45 than doing 60-70. It is a liability thing for Uhaul to cover their a**. Just make sure the brakes are working and the tires are properly inflated (I have had problems with both in the past).

Ian

Old 08-27-2002, 08:49 AM
It kind of comes down to what you could do and what you should do. Your 4.6/auto/4x2/reg cab COULD have a max trailer of 7200#, but without a class III or IV hitch you are reduced to a 5000# trailer with 500# tongue max. You also have to rely on surge brakes instead of the control of electrics, the trailer may not be level with the bumper ball, and you are not familiar with the rig you are going to get from UHaul. If you are going to do this here are a few ideas.
1)Check all fluids, tire pressures etc
2)Don't overload the trailer or truck. It's easy to fill a 6X12 with more than you should, or fill the bed with stuff that didn't fit in the trailer and exceed your GVW.
3)Load carefully, keep it level with 10-15% on the tongue.
4)Inspect the trailer carefully. If it is a POS go someplace else.
5)If the tranny is hunting stay out of OD.
6)Keep your speed down. Take it from somebody who drove a 24ft box truck towing a loaded car trailer through the mountains of TN- The last thing I wanted to do was go FASTER!

Good luck and good towing

Old 08-27-2002, 09:08 AM
Uhaul will NOT let you tow a 6x12 without a class III hitch, regardless of what type of truck you have. I tried several years back and the only thing I could tow was the 5x8. Good luck trying, but I guarantee they won't let you. They will tell you they will be happy to install one of their class III hitches, then you can tow it.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:43 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, that makes the options simple.
Get the 6x12 and have a hitch installed
or
get the 5x8 and have a yard sale.

Old 08-27-2002, 09:45 AM
Didnt know that UHaul wouldn't rent you one, but it isn't hard to see why. I put a class III on my 98/4x2/auto/3.08 and I have a max trailer rating of 4600#. I had it done by UHaul, and paid about $100 over what it would have cost me to do it myself with the harness,brake controller,etc. Nice job and it was done in under two hours.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:00 AM
We have towed these before and will be moving my daughter this weekend as see goes back to college for the fall season. We have the class 3 hitch though. I am surprised at how heavy they are. I thought compared to my 31 ft camper I would not know this thing was behind. As far as the speed just as was already stated I think its a liability protection for Uhaul and I won't imagine what it would be like at 45 on today's busy roads. I towed it along at 75MPH. Over that it would sway and would be dangerous but I had to try it. The wires on the trailer where not long enough to reach the 7 to 4 pin adapter I had plugged into the 7 pin with the trailer package and they wanted to sell me an adapter for a signifigant amount. When I objected he conceeded to rent it to me for a sum. I wasn't happy but.... This weekend I will take tools adpaters and xtra wire and crimps. I rfuse to have to buy stuff when their trailers won't plug up to a standanrd trailer towing package. I noticed that all the trailer are not wired the same or have the same connectors or lenght of cable. I kind of pissed me off that they expect you to have to buy something to amke up for the shortfall. We will see what I get this weekend I am supposed to have one reserved but they say this is the busiest weekend of the year and they where hedging as to when and where I could pick one up.

Old 08-27-2002, 10:08 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
They are heavy. I would opt for an open trailer and a tarp for the weight/wind resistence/load height options, if given the oppurtunity, for a one day pull.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:54 AM
it should pull just fine at about any speed. With the F150's your back end might get moved around a little more than usual. I've pulled the sporttrac behind my truck, and would say that was almost to much weight. Remember when pulling a trailer.

1) wide turns

2) keep your distance

3) you cant stop in rain, LOL

4) keep the tires properly inflated.

On our big trailers, when the tire pressure would get to low, the tires would blow really easy. So now we uped to about 110psi and have had no problems.

Remember, have fun, be safe, and if needed, stop and walk around for a little bit.

Old 08-31-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by dufunnel
Uhaul will NOT let you tow a 6x12 without a class III hitch, regardless of what type of truck you have. I tried several years back and the only thing I could tow was the 5x8. Good luck trying, but I guarantee they won't let you. They will tell you they will be happy to install one of their class III hitches, then you can tow it.
Well I went to the uhaul place in Nashville and asked what size tralier I could tow with the bumper of the truck they asked what it was rated at and I said 500/5000 and they said you could go as big as the 6x12 enclosed so Ihad them install a 2'' ball and hooked it up maid it home from there to get the rest of my stuff the local dealers were out of trailers and I hauled a bunch of stuff in the bed then droped it off and got the trailer for the rest of my stuff that I'll move Monday as I plan to rest on Sunday from all the driving and moving of stuff I done today the truck did fine on the way back I had to slow down for a couple of hills but other than that I had no problems with my first tow.

Old 09-01-2002, 12:02 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Talking

Well, it's obvious that Tennessee has different rules then Florida.

To rent a heavy trailer in Tennessee, you have to

take three swigs o'shine and play 'Old Smokey Top' on the top of the jug or
you got to pin the retailer's cousin fair and square or
you got to have a certificate showin' you finished in the top three of a fartin' contest.(and documented proof you haven't turned pro.)

Old 09-01-2002, 10:28 AM
LOL Raoul the funny thing is the trailer has a Florida tag on it

Quick Reply: Towing a Uhaul trailer