Lightning

O2 Sensor Advice (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation O2 Sensor Advice (Long)

I started throwing a code about 2 months ago. The last two times I had the code read at Autozone. Both times it was the same code (PO153) a slow O2 bank 2 sensor 1.

I shopped around with the Ford O2 being $86 and NAPA (Elgin brand) $49. Well, my tight a$$ went for the NAPA part and the fun began.

The NAPA O2 was too long to fit between the Longtubes and the tranny. After wrestling with it for 20 minutes I had a brainstorm to look at the other side. Bingo, with plenty of room on the otherside I just swapped them out and I was good to go. So I thought.

Everything was good and then I started having this problem that happened at least 80% of the time. I would crank up cold and it seemed a little rough. The first time I would take off it would miss (sputter) and clear up during acceleration. It would not do it again for the rest of the driving cycle.

It would do this even when warm and restarted after 20 minutes. So I figured it was not coil packs.

I had different chip programs in it and different plugs (TR5 Iridiums at present). All were doing the same thing.

It finally clicked that around the time of the O2 change this started happening. I don't think it happened immediately after the change or I might have picked up on it sooner.

I called Jim@JDM and asked if he thought the aftermarket sensor could be my problem. Jim said he didn't know for sure but that he had problems tuning with some aftermarket sensors before. I had an Autotap hooked up a couple of days before I called and there were no soft codes or misfires with it idling rough right after cranking.

I bit the bullet and bought two new O2 sensors from Ford. The guy wanted my VIN # to match up the part #. He said the same sensor might fit different vehicles but the calabration could be different or something to that affect. $189 for both. I pulled the old one out and the part#'s matched exactly.

The moral to this story is stay away from aftermarket O2 sensors. They might be cheaper but can cause crazy symptoms that are hell to track down. It's been 5 days since I've changed both of them and the truck has never ran better. It's even faster at the track. I was having trouble breaking into the 12's at the track. It's hot and humid as hell around here. Thurday night in the same conditions I had no trouble running 12.8 and 12.9

My truck has 31,000 miles on it with the leaky intercooler at 16,000 miles. It didn't leak much before the replacement and I don't know it this sped up the demise of my O2 sensor or not. If you are having any of these symtoms then O2 sensors might be something to look at. I would replace them in pairs.

Last edited by LTNBOLT; 08-19-2002 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2002, 08:18 AM
Thumbs up CHUCK

Your's is one of the best threads I've seen here--or anywhere else. Thanks for stating everything so clearly and the 'answer'.

Dan

Old 08-19-2002, 10:01 AM
I agree...

Good post, I get tired of the 'how much do you weigh, how tall are you, whats your hair color' post's that are on this board. You really helped me in particular, as I am having the same issue. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2002, 10:23 AM
Great post! Ive had a rough idle for about 2 months now, but there arent any codes coming up. Ive changed the plugs,taken it to the dealership and they say everything checks out fine! Guess Ill have to buy a set of O2 sensors.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor Advice (Long)