Pre-1997 Models

MAF conversion with junkyard parts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MAF conversion with junkyard parts!

I am putting together a mass-air conversion kit for my 88 F-150. I hope to install it this weekend. I have a 351 with a C6 so that is best combo to find a comparable EEC for. I am using a 91 Thunderbird 5.0 HO processor, I would rather use a 89-93 Mustang but this one is much cheaper.
Other parts I am using are the 55mm Mass-Air meter from the T-Bird (same as the Mustang), "Y" pipe from MAF to TB off a 95 F-150 with a 5.0 and MAF, air cleaner box lid off my old 93 Lightning (it has a single opening that is the same size as the MAF opening). I should see a HUGE improvement in gas milage and part throttle drivability over the "batch-fire" speed desity. I only have to add about 10 wires to the harness and am using factory wire connectors for easy removal.
After this I am getting a 95-97 Powerstroke cat-back (to say this system flows is a understatement) and a 3" "off-road" pipe.
Has anybody here converted their trucks to MAF? If so which processor did you have the best luck with? Thanks, Mike

Old 03-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Exclamation check this out!

Check out
http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/D...ID39/2913.html
and the links therein.

I'm trying to do the MAF conversion for my 88 302. So far, I got an 80mm Pro-M MAF with K&N filter from Ebay and a Lightning throttle body with two bores, but an oval flange around both bores (converts it into a single tube intake - see here). I still need the Mustang ECM and the wiring harness. You said you wanted to make the harness yourself?

The Lightning TB has no IAC, though. How do the Lightnings control idle air? I guess they rout air from the intake directly into the manifold? If so, would that solenoid work with the Mustang ECM?

Old 03-06-2002, 07:20 PM
Yeh, I am making the harness, only adding a few wires for the injectors and MAF and swapping a few pins on the 60pin connector. The Lightning's have the ISC on the elbow from the TB to the supercharger. The Mustang ISC (86-93) is the same as the Truck's, the difference being the plug in angle.
I should have it done this weekend!

Old 03-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Yeh, I am making the harness, only adding a few wires for the injectors and MAF and swapping a few pins on the 60pin connector.
Hmm, you don't happen to have a detailed description of that? Would save me $350. There are a lot of people out there that would love that info, too. I'm probably going to make a webpage of it as soon as I get to do my mod.

The Lightning's have the ISC on the elbow from the TB to the supercharger.
Do you know where I can get a picture of that? It sounds like I could get the part and use it in my modded intake.

========================================
1988 F-150, V8, 5.0L (302cid), 5spd, SuperCab. Shorty headers, K&N fipk, MSD 6a ignition, Accel 300 8.8mm race wires, Accel supercoil, Accel rotor cap, Bosch 4 Platinum plugs, RanchHand bumper, Summit block protector, Cloyes true roller timing chain, electric fan, Fumoto valve.
http://brembs.net/cars/FordPU.html

Old 03-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by bjoern
Hmm, you don't happen to have a detailed description of that? Would save me $350. There are a lot of people out there that would love that info, too. I'm probably going to make a webpage of it as soon as I get to do my mod.
Wiring mods necessary to install MAF into a SD system.

You will need a MAF ECM with matching injectors.

Homemade MAF power signal harness into SD EEC IV connector (for use with a MAF ECM)

Parts:
MAF connector
4 wires
2 EEC IV connector pins

attach the 4 wires to the MAF connector

the wire in MAF connector pin:
"A" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 37
"B" is spliced into the wire at EEC pin 40 or 60
"C" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 9 in the EEC connector
"D" has a EEC pin soldered to the other end, and is inserted into location 50 in the EEC connector.

(if your MAF connector has 5 pins {A-E}, connect as above: A is the same, B is left empty, and C-E are the same as B-D above)

Smog Pump wiring at the EEC connector must be changed as follows:
Move the wire in position 51 to position 38
Move the wire in position 11 to position 32
If necessary, splice in extra wire to reach these new locations

Those are the wiring mods necessary to convert SD to MAF.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Do you have to change the firing order as well?

Old 03-07-2002, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by fivept0
Do you have to change the firing order as well?
That's a really good question. The conversions I have done have all been in Mustangs, and the SD and MAF Mustangs were all roller cam, and had the same firing order. I would imagine that a firing order change would be necessary, but that means a camshaft swap would be necessary as well.

While I'm thinking about it, the truck conversion would also require a jumper wire harness to change the injectors from gang to sequential. That wiring I don't have. My first post covers the MAF to EEC harness, and the smog pump mods.

Who has the injector schematic?

Old 03-07-2002, 07:41 AM
I have injector diagram. I am leaving injectors 1 and 2 the way they are and on the remaining injectors I am leaving the VPWR the way they are also just adding the "trigger" (ground) wires from the processor to the injectors. Pin 12 is injector 3, pin 13 is injector 4, pin 14 is injector 5, pin 15 is injector 6, pin 42 is injector 7 and pin 52 is injector 8. Injector 1 remains pin 58 and injector 2 remains pin 59.

Old 03-07-2002, 09:07 AM
My list is now complete.

Except, what do you know about the firing order question? The way I figure it, firing order and camshaft would also need to be changed.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-07-2002, 09:23 AM
Thumbs up

Now this is getting really interesting!
Firing order: 351's don't have to change firing order, as it is the same as Mustang's. 302's can simply change the injector order to their firing order:
http://www.pro-flow.com/eficonver.htm
Sequential firing: I'm still rather confused. What does "adding the "trigger" (ground) wires from the processor to the injectors" mean eactly? I take it I cut one of the two wires to the injectors and connect it to the pin in the ECM? Which of the wires? I also guess now one injector bank is hooked up to pin 58 and one to 59? How can that be if those pins go to cyl. 1 and 2? How are the injectors wired in SD?
MAF conversion: Thanks so much for the info! I might actually be able to save those $350!! (But how do I know from which end to get A-D?)
How about the two O2 sensor Pro-M is talking about? Do the 89-93 Mustang ECM's require two O2 sensors?

Last edited by bjoern; 03-07-2002 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:03 AM
The conversions I've done had two O2 sensors in both the original car and the donor ECM.

The A-D wires are marked (A-B-C-D) on the MAF connector.

SD fires 4 injectors at a time. wire 58 is bank 1 (cyls 1,4,5,8), and wire 59 is bank 2 (cyls 2,3,6,7). leaving those wires attached to two injectors will fire those two. Adding the ground jumpers will be attaching triggers to the other 6 cylinders, allowing individual firing.

Take care,
-Chris

Old 03-07-2002, 11:33 AM
For the o2 sensors, pin 43 is for the left bank and pin 29 is the right bank. I am going to weld a bung in each lead pipe and plug the old o2 fitting.

Old 03-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Question

Thanks so much guys for explaining all this, the fogs are clearing! Sorry for being so slow, though!
leaving those wires attached to two injectors will fire those two. Adding the ground jumpers will be attaching triggers to the other 6 cylinders, allowing individual firing.
Thanks a lot! I think I now get the principle. The thing I'm still not quite so sure about is how to wire the individual injectors. Pardon my ignorance, but the injectors I plan on using have two pins in their connector, I assume one for power, one for ground? From what you guys wrote, I guess power is common for the injectors and ground (the jumpers) is provided by the ECM? Can I tell from looking at the injectors (maybe following the wires?) which of the two wires I have to splice into the ECM and which I have to leave? Or do I have to make completely new connectors? Sorry again for my stupid questions, but I've never messed with that.

Thanks for your patience,

Bjoern

Old 03-08-2002, 12:51 AM
bjoern, please explain this step by step in your web page.
I know by doing this conversion we can change cams to anything exotic. Thanks

Old 03-08-2002, 09:43 PM
I just finished the harness tonight. I got a injector harness off a 5.0 SEFI car and removed the 6 wires I needed and kept the factory water proof connector. Made the MAF extension harness also. I plan on installing everything Sunday afternoon!

Quick Reply: MAF conversion with junkyard parts!