Lightning

Painted or powder coated calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted or powder coated calipers

Long time listener first time caller. Just got my 2001 L and ordered my 20 in
chrome wheels and my 1/2 drop. Would like to do something about the caliper color. my truck is red. I
talked to a guy that does powder coating and he said because of the heat that I
would have to take the whole brake set-up apart that would include taking the pistons out and just give him the cast. I do not want to do this. Any suggestions? I do not no if paint will work with the heat. appreciate any help.

Old 11-16-2001, 12:56 AM
I painted my calipers red to match my truck about 4 months ago with a special brake paint that probably is an epoxy two part system. It drys in 6 hours and is fully cured in 3 days. It has a glossy finish and has held upwell. Here is the web page and e-mail to contact to order paint. I only need one kit to do all four calipers.

Web page: http://www.mgracing.an/caliperpaint.htm

e-mail: jsmajzun@netzero.net

Old 11-16-2001, 01:01 AM
I painted the callipers on my red firebird yellow. I did not know about powder coating at the time. I just used 500* engine paint in a spray can. I put a plastic bag and newspaper around whatever I did not want painted. After about a year, the paint started to chip, and they were VERY hard to get clean. I too would like some info on powdercoating. Anyone done it? How much does it cost, does it last, where can i get it done at???
Justin

Old 11-16-2001, 01:03 AM
I did this to my ranger before,,, its very very easy to do. All you have to do is take the calipers off yourself and use engine block paint,,,, its not as glossy of a finish, but it holds up very well to the heat and the wear, it wont chip and grease doesn't show as easily. Plus its only about 5 bucks from any auto parts store. When i first painted my calipers on my ranger i had no experience at all with auto work, and was able to do it no problem after talking with a friend who is a mechanic. plus if you ever need to clean it you can use starter fluid,, i found that worked very well. My only problem was i wished it would have been shinier

Last edited by whitetoast11; 11-16-2001 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 01:06 AM
hey vinnie...

tom leykis fan?

thought so...

Old 11-16-2001, 01:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I will go with the high temp paint.
crazyfoo- The guy told me it would only be about $75.00 to powder coat all 4 calipers.
I was all happy until he told me about the dismantling I would have to do.

Malibu-Not tom but mike and the mad dog sports show.

Old 11-16-2001, 01:59 AM
There is a clear epoxy spray paint that you can pick up at the hardware store. I don't know how much but it is tough and SHINY.

Old 11-16-2001, 02:02 AM
97.1 broadcasts that far away!?! I though it was only near Detroit.

Old 11-16-2001, 02:27 AM
They are out of n.y. on an a.m. station. Opie and Anthony (djs) make fun of them all the time.

Old 11-16-2001, 03:47 AM
I painted mine as well...

I purchased "Caliper Paint" in red from an auto accessory website about 9 months ago and painted my calipers. The paint came in a small can that only coated the front calipers. I went to Auto Zone & purchased a can of 500* engine enamel and completed the job, even adding another coat to the front calipers. I prepped the calipers with a wire brush, then used paint thinner on a shop rag to clear any grease or dust. I used newspaper & masking tape to cover the rotors & undercarriage & put my cover on the truck (probably not necessary), to keep any overspray from settling on my exterior paint. The calipers looked great with my black L for about 8 months then the brake dust began to accumulate, and they became hard to wash and lost there original luster. So..., I repeated the process last month using a brush & alcohol to prep, leaving the previous paint intact & they're shiny again. The whole process, using a 3-ton roll around floor jack, in my driveway took less than an hour each time, the paint dries very quickly even if heavily applied and is very eassy to work with. Good luck.

Last edited by 2001 SVT-F150; 11-16-2001 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2001, 08:42 AM
There is a guy in my warehouse that does powdercoating.He is a perfectionist. Champion porshe ( largest porche dealer in the U.S. ) liked his work so much , that they now give him all of their work.He is a small operation.He does dismantle the calipers himself (no big woop) .I am just debating if I should go with silver or red on my red 2001.

Old 11-16-2001, 11:29 AM
Anyone have painted or coated callipers on a silver L? I was thinkning of going Blue, to go along with my blue seat covers, and blue lights on the hood, and blue neon lights for the wheels. Even a picture of another color Lightning with blue callipers would help.
Thanx

Old 11-16-2001, 12:44 PM
Painted mine silver (rotor,calipers, everything). Looks great, matches the wheels perfectly and stays clean. Just took the wheel off and masked the area I didn't want painted. Simple job.

Quick Reply: Painted or powder coated calipers