Lightning

Tranny Fluid concerns! HELP!

Old 09-27-2001, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Fluid concerns! HELP!

The manual and dipstick both say Mercon...but everyone says Mercon V is the correct fluid? My 2001 L went into service a few weeks ago and they removed the tranny pan, thus having to refill the tranny fluid! My invoice for the work shows the part number for the oil to be XT-5-QM...I'm assuming this is for Mercon V. I am going to do the 4x4 Pan mod soon so I wanted to get this straight. I hope the dealer used the right oil!!!! Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-27-2001, 09:02 PM
MERCON, not Mercon V!!!!!

Mercon V will damage the tranny. I am sure the dealer used just MERCON.

Old 09-27-2001, 09:46 PM
MERCON V meets or exceeds the specs for MERCON AND WILL NOT DAMAGE THE TRANNY and if you race provides better protection than MERCON. Do a search, there is a big long thread on this topic. I've had MERCON V in mine since 25K and I'm going to get it again next week when I service. I'll bet they did put the V in your truck.
noelvm

heres the thread.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...light=mercon+v

The only thing they need to be careful of is if they put Mercon V in your tranny, they needed to be sure they got all the MERCON out, including the bell.

Last edited by noelvm; 09-27-2001 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:49 PM
dp

Last edited by noelvm; 09-27-2001 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2001, 09:57 PM
I could go on for some time about this one, but your truck takes MERCON. I just (about 20minutes ago) finished doing the 4x4 pan and Factory Tech accumulator body. The truck takes MERCON, check the dipstick, check your owners manual.

It is VERY possible that the dealership put the wrong stuff in there (I am NOT slamming the dealerhship, I work at one, and I know ***** happens, for any number of reasons). MERCON is red, while MERCON V has a much oranger color. If the pan was dropped and the filter was replaced and the torque converter was drained, then you should probably be OK, however, if the two fluids were mixed, then you should probably get them out of there ASAP. Just to be safe you should probably do a complete service anyway.

Call the dealership and ask them what fluid they put in, if they put in Mercon V then they should drain it out and refill it for you since they put the wrong fluid in. again, make sure they replace the filter and drain the torque converter.

Also, It is entirely possible that MERCON V was billed on the ticket but regular MERCON was used.

good luck.
later,
chris

Old 09-30-2001, 12:34 PM
MERCON for me, not MERCON V. For added safety, I would change the tranny fluid every other oil change.

Old 09-30-2001, 01:09 PM
Talking

I don't even use ATf in mine,a ew people on the board do know.Stan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Fluid concerns! HELP!