door rust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2001, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door rust?

I was doing my yearly cleaning of my truck over the 4th of July holiday when I started cleaning what I thought was mud off the inside of the door, at the very bottom. Further inspection revealed that the factory paint was flaking, and sure enough, there was rust under it! This is on a southern born and raised truck.

Anyone else experienced this? I think ford has a corrosion warranty, would it cover something like this?

Thanks for any input!

-Jay
98 F150 SC 4x4 ORP
33x12.50 Pro Comp AT's
VGX brake pads
K&N filter
TransGO shift kit
custom modified bumpers by tree and ditch

Old 07-07-2001, 02:14 AM
I believe the Rust Warranty is 5 years. I have the same problem but it hasn't progressed in the past 2 years so I'm not very concerned about. I wipe the base of the door skin after washing and make sure the water is draining properly and not blocked so it doesn't build up inside and rust out.

Also Read: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=Door+Rust

Last edited by AjRagno; 07-07-2001 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2001, 05:03 AM
Lightbulb

I have a 97 FORD f-150 and i found the rust about 3 years ago on my lower doors and the lower tailgate i used a wire brush in a drill and removed as much as i could and then used navel jelly rust remover. i then apllied a few coats of red oxide primer and applied a coat of joint and seam sealer and then topcoted it all with the matching paint i have no rust yet and it still looks like it did the day of the repair! its a shame though if ford would have spent the extra 50 cents or so putting the seam sealer on there it would have saved a great deal of trouble sometimes cost cutting ends up costing more in the long run I STILL LOVE MY TRUCK THOUGH!

Old 07-07-2001, 10:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be covered under the 5 year rust free warrenty it should be unlimited mileage I know it is on my truck so if I still have it when it gets close to 5 years and have rust on the bottom of the doors I get them replaced as by then my truck will probable have the door cracks as well.

Old 07-09-2001, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

-Jay
98 F150 SC 4x4 ORP wit stuff
http://www.nx2k.com/truck/

Old 07-09-2001, 10:56 PM
Are you guys sure???!!!

Hey guys! Are you absolutely, positively, without reasonable doubt, sure that the door rust is covered under the five year warranty?

This is what Ford says about that warranty:

If corrosion causes perforation(holes) in the body sheet metal panel, the coverage extends for 60 months, unlimited distance.

If corrosion does not cause holes, and is not the result of vehicle usage and/or airborne materials, the corrosion coverage is 36 months or 36,000 miles (60,000 kilometers in Canada), whichever occurs first.

My truck doesn't seem to have any rust on the driver's door and I can't seem to find any on the passenger or third door but my basic warranty runs out on September. I do have the bumper rust and possibly the tailgate rust. I sincerely hope that you guys are right about the five year warranty thing.

Old 07-10-2001, 07:22 AM
Rusty Doors

Warranty absolutely covers rust. Mine bubbled on the doors and tailgate. The dealer fixed it and applied the stone chip gaurdjust like the outside bottom edge. No questions or hassles. My truck is 4 years on the road and 68,000 miles.

Old 07-13-2001, 07:09 PM
I have the same rusty door bottoms--on all 3 doors on my '98. My dealer indicated that the moisture/corrosion is down in the pinch below the weld that is on the inside of the door. He suggested that cleaning the surface where the rust is visible and painting over it would just be a temporary remedy and would probably just accellerate the corrosion down in the fold in the door skin. He did indicate that repair would be covered under the 5 year corrosion warranty but wanted to wait until closer to the end of my warranty period to see what Ford may do to repair this problem--maybe replace the doors? Should I wait?

Old 07-21-2001, 04:54 PM
rust

Hey guys. I noticed rust on the bottom of my door's on my 97 f150. I got rid of it and got an 1999 f350 and it has the same problem. My friends f 350 2000 also has it and it is starting around the whole door. (small spots) The dealers around here (CT) have all said that after 3 years or 36000 you are SOL. The 5 year unlimited is only for compleat rusthrough and then you have to prove it wasnt from an outside scratch. Anybody know what we can do?

Old 07-22-2001, 07:07 PM
bottom of door and tailgate rust

I found the rust this Spring when my truck was only 1 1/2 years old. I had the dealer fix it under warranty ( clean out the rust and repaint ), but the rust came back within weeks. I'm going to try and have FoMoCo replace the doors and tailgate, but I'm sure that it won't be easy. I'd rather have $2000 off of the price of a new truck. Wish me luck!

Old 07-23-2001, 03:24 PM
Does anyone have a TSB number for this problem?

Old 07-31-2001, 11:11 AM
All the doors will rust. I sold my 1998 f-150 with the 3 door, under a year and a half on the road and all 3 doors and the tail gate were rusting. dont forget to check your tailgate because it is rusting too. Ford, (typical low quality work) did not seam seal the seams when the skins are welded in place, so no matter how much you clean and make sure it drains this will happen. If you can get to it before it starts and seal the seams with seam seal this will slow the process down.
I used to love ford, I still have my 87' 5 litere mustang and love it, it has been customized and worked over, so I expect problems from that. but a brand new truck, with rust, craksed doors, leaky rear window, paint cracking on the roof, tranny with a stall converter that should be in a race car(such a high stall because the tranny cannot take the power or it will break) blew o2 sensors about 3 times, toasted 1 mass airmeter, should I keep going. Truck looks great and loved it but the quality just is not there. Not at all.
Bought a Jap truck now and is the best thing I have ever been in, solid as a rock, and will definetly outlast an f-150.....
Sell now before your value dropps

Old 07-31-2001, 01:32 PM
Question

Has anybody had warranty work done to repair the rust/bubbled paint on the inside door seams and tailgate? Not under the 3 year warranty but the 5 year warranty. My '97 is approaching 5 years and I'd like to get this fixed if it's covered. Thanks!

Mark

Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer about the rust on the doors of my 2000 F150. Despite having only 34000 on it, I was told no - because I'm over the 36 month period by a few months! What a joke...

Old 01-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Door Rust 2013 FX4

Came across this thread while looking for information about rust on F-150s from Canada. I'm looking at a 2013 FX4 w/ 41K miles that came from Ontario and is now in Cincinnati. Since I'm a few states away I asked for additional photos showing any dents/scratches/etc not visible in the listing photos. The two photos attached show what looks like could be a little rust on the bottom inside of the doors. Does this look like normal wear and tear or cause for concern? Photos I've seen of chassis all look pretty good.

Thanks

Quick Reply: door rust?