Lightning

TSB info on "THE CLUNK"

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post TSB info on "THE CLUNK"

here is the TSB on the clunk. I haven't personally had any L owners come into the shop complaining of the dreaded clunk, but my 2001 has had it since the day it rolled off of the carrier. I just ran OASIS on it and found nothing, Ford apparently doesn't list this concern for 2001 vehicles, I checked TSB's for 99 vehicles however and came up with the needed info. interestingly enough (as I had gathered from other people's postings here) there are two distinctly different clunks. many people complain of a clunk only at either lock of the wheel. which often merits a "just lube your steering stops" reply. well my clunk and apparently many others is just a random clunk while turning or doing parking lot manuevers. oftentimes nowhere near either steering lock. anyway here is what I was able to come up with:

FORD: 1999-2000 F-150
ISSUE: A "clunking" sound may be heard on some SVT Lightning F-150 vehicles during parking maneuvers. This may be caused by the steering stops or the front lower control arm pivot attachment point.

ACTION: Refer to the following Service Procedure to determine the source of the clunk and proper repair procedure.

If the clunk occurs at full or near-full steering lock, then it is most likely caused by the spindle contacting a dry steering stop on the lower control arm. If the clunk occurs at less than full steering lock, then it is most likely caused by movement of the left side lower control arm at the rear pivot attachment to the frame. At the left rear attachment point only, the frame is slotted to allow for caster adjustment during vehicle assembly. Excessive frame wax, insufficient clamping force, and high loads (due to large wheels and tires) can cause the arm to slide in the slot.

NOTE: THE LIGHTNING HAS UNIQUE FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARMS. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE LIGHTNING AND STANDARD F-150 4X2 CONTROL ARM IS THE STEERING STOP. THE LIGHTNING STEERING STOPS ARE WELDED ON WHILE THE STANDARD F-150 4X2 STOPS ARE RIVETED ON. THE ARM, BUSHINGS, AND BALL JOINTS ARE THE SAME.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

STEERING STOP CLUNK
Lubricate control arm steering stops and contact points on the spindle on both sides of the vehicle with Teflon Lubricant (D2AZ-19590-A).

CONTROL ARM MOVEMENT CLUNK
Replace rear inner pivot fasteners on front left hand lower control arm with two (2) new "toothed" washers and related fasteners. These washers have teeth around the circumference to prevent movement.
1.Raise vehicle on drive-on lift.
2.Support left lower control arm at the rear bushing with a jackstand.
3.Remove left rear lower control arm nut, washer, and bolt. Retain bolt.
4.Remove the staked washer from the bolt. This can be done by holding washer in a vise and tapping the bolt through.
5.Clean the frame area around the washers, on both sides, with solvent and a wire brush.
6.Reassemble using the old bolt (washer removed), a new Nut (N800237-S427), and toothed Washers (W707896-S427), one on each side of bushing, making sure bolt is centered in slot.

NOTE: THE WASHERS MUST BE INSTALLED WITH THE TEETH TOWARD THE FRAME.

7.Torque nut to 190 N-m(140 lb-ft).
8.Remove jackstand.
9.Recoat frame with Ford Super Seal Aerosol Anti-Corrosion Compound (F3AZ-19515-SA) to prevent corrosion.
10.Check front end alignment, adjust if necessary using specifications included in this article. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 204-00 for alignment procedures.

PART NUMBER
W707896-S427
PART NAME
Washer (Toothed) (2 Required Per Vehicle)

PART NUMBER
N800237-S427
PART NAME
Nut (M16x2.0 Hex Flange Locking)

PART NUMBER
F3AZ-19515-SA
PART NAME
Super Seal Anti-Corrosion Compound

PART NUMBER
D2AZ-19590-A
PART NAME
Teflon Lubricant

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION: Install New Washers On Left Lower Control Arm Rear Bolt, Check And Adjust Alignment
1.7 Hrs.

Install New Washers On Left Lower Control Arm Rear Bolt And Check Alignment
0.8 Hr.

Old 06-19-2001, 08:31 PM
Thanks superfords

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Gone but not forgotten
Silver 01...mods=a few..
hud@mc.net

Old 06-20-2001, 07:59 AM
ditto!

Old 06-20-2001, 09:25 AM
My 2001 has a clunk noise at lock end of steering.

Old 06-20-2001, 09:31 AM
Talking

Thanks for your time and trouble with this!
Alvin

Old 06-20-2001, 03:35 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks, this is very interesting. On my '99, in Jan. 2000, the dealer replaced the control arms with SVT control arms and did a realignment. My problem seemed to have been worse than others experienced. I had the clunk as well as an occasional very loud bang noise. Steering was erratic too, with lots of wandering and darting sensation.

I must have had one of the trucks with the standard 4x2 F150 control arms. I bet more than the steering stops are an issue with the wrong control arms.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:50 PM
Thumbs down

Ford's star washer "fix" probably ain't gonna work. Many of us, including me, tried it before Ford ever came out with a TSB, and I know my control arm slides around. I think you are either going to have to tack weld the arm, or get one of Herb's spacers. I have a set that are going to go on the next time I put on front tires and get an alignment.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.

'00 SVT Lightning, silver, built 2/9/00, #133 of 4966, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, 4.10 gears, Swanson chip, Pro-M, NGK plugs, carbon drive shaft, Roadmaster suspension kit, TransGo shift kit, cam bolts, Jackson washers, Wet Okoles, Kenyon transmission
13.39 @ 102.5

2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, radar, autopilot and GPS chartplotter/fishfinder.

gmvye@pacbell.net

Quick Reply: TSB info on "THE CLUNK"