Lightning

Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trans cooler

Question: With the recent postings about the L's losing boost when the trans fluid gets hot, should we be looking into upgrading the tranny coolers?

If so does anyone have some good ones in mind that would work without major cosmetic mods? Any experiences good / bad would be a help...

Old 02-23-2000, 07:25 PM
Its not the trans cooler
Believe me, the cooler doesn't shut you down.

Old 02-23-2000, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Roger, Sal here. I was actually planning on posting about this topic soon. I happen to know the trans calibration engineer for the 99 Lightning project, and he told me, "Sal, the first thing you should do when you get your 99, is yank the stock tranny cooler off, and install a much bigger one, it needs it". He was obviously right about that I have been asked about this problem quite a bit as of late, so in the near future I will look into offering a "bolt-in" replacement larger cooler kit. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress....

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-23-2000, 07:40 PM
Lightbulb

Andre, one of the failsafes in the PCM strategy monitors transmission fluid temperature (TFT) and if it exceeds a set value, the PCM will shut the boost off. At first, when people were describing the loss of boost concern at the track after the 1-2 shift, I though they were nuts until it happened to me I contacted one of my engineer buddies from the 99 project and he informed me of this failsafe (as well as others). I checked it with the NGS after it happend, and it was correct. It seems to be happening after long burnouts in most cases, and ironically, people are seeing thier best 60fts ever on these passes, which then shut the boost off after the 1-2 upshift. The long burnouts, as well as shutting the truck off between passes, not allowing the fluid to be run though the cooler, keep the fluid pretty hot.

------------------
13.35@103mph

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 02-23-2000, 08:49 PM
Talking

Sal
Just a quick question you stated that it (EEC I don't like PCM sounds too GM) shuts the boost off. Does it not in fact pull timing and fuel? Another reason why I like DFI.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 02-23-2000, 08:53 PM
Hi Sal. Thanks for the reply, it contained everything I was looking for <natch>...

Please let me/us know when you get something put together. BTW, just curious, would you know the size of the cooler on the Powerstroke?

Old 02-23-2000, 09:42 PM
Hey Sal, That was the answer I was looking for. Put me 1st on the list for a replacement larger cooler kit.Jim

------------------
99 lightning
97 F150
red,snuglid
chip
NLOC #362
13.61 best
bassini TBI
build date 4/14/99

Old 02-23-2000, 10:33 PM
Hey BA, Sal here. I have not monitored the PIDs during the actual failsafe process, because I don't really like trying to MAKE it do it, but what it does is it shuts the boost off via the supercharger by-pass solenoid. The solenoid is in-line with the vacuum source that feeds the by-pass. During the failsafe for TFT too high, it also engages the convertor, to elimiate convertor slip to reduce heat.

------------------
13.35@103mph

Old 02-23-2000, 11:04 PM
Thumbs up

Sal just keep us informed about that larger cooler!!!!!!

Old 02-24-2000, 01:49 AM
I was thinking of upgrading the cooler with a large unit from the likes of GReddy, or maybe HKS. I was thinking maybe just replacing the lower grill with it, kinda that import/actually functional look. What do you guys think?

------------------
Floyd91
Why do I do the things that I do? Because, The chicks dig it!_______________________
99.5 White lightning
#2349 Born on 6/14/99

Clear Corners
Clear Tail lights
APC Ultra White headlights
IPF Ultra White Driving lights....stay tuned..

Old 02-24-2000, 07:29 AM
Question

Hey Guys,
This is probably a dumb question, do all the Lightnings have the trans cooler? Or just the trucks ordered with the towing package? I think my 97 XLT only came with the cooler when ordered with the towing package.
Thanks in advance.
jim

------------------
'99 Red #2394, NLOC #342
Superchip, Black Rhino,
Window Tint,Clear fog lens covers
PSP air filter kit, Bassani (TBI)

Old 02-24-2000, 07:31 AM
Jim, Sal here. All the Lightnings come with the trans cooler, even the first gen trucks.

------------------
13.35@103mph

Old 02-24-2000, 10:15 AM
Floyd91,

The lower grill section already has a radiator in it for the intercooler, it is functinal.

Old 02-24-2000, 10:52 AM
ugh...thats actually what I was talking about, bigger intercooler. Sheesh I get confused sometimes. I saw that thing down there and was like wow, I thought they were one in the same, but obviousely not. Thanks for clearing that up

------------------
Floyd91
Why do I do the things that I do? Because, The chicks dig it!
99.5 White lightning
#2349 Born on 6/14/99

Clear Corners
Clear Tail lights
APC Ultra White headlights
IPF Ultra White Driving lights....stay tuned..

Old 02-25-2000, 08:00 PM
Sal do have any idea when a bigger Trans cooler will be available. I have the Bolt tore down & would like to make as many upgrades as possible while I'm rebuilding the Beast. Let me know if or when you think it will be available & price estimates.

Later,
Terry

------------------
99.5 Giallo Modena Yellow Lightning, Chromed SVT rims, Polished Billet Grills (powder coated Ferrari Yellow),F1 Cobra Hood, Color matched Lo-pro snuglid & bugshield, clear corner lenses & tailights, superchipped, sal air filter, Bel-tech 3/4 lowering kit, okole seat covers (yellow), rhino liner, color matched muth mirrors, 25 piece Yellow carbon fiber dashboard kit, JBA headers and V1 radar detector.
BTW-Some secret stuff...
Should be completed by 4/1/00.
Stay Tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by asdeman (edited 02-25-2000).]

Quick Reply: Trans cooler