Lightning

Help ! People who have added a "AIR/FUEL gauge to the Lightning.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help ! People who have added a "AIR/FUEL gauge to the Lightning.

I am trying to install the Air fuel gauge.I cannot figure out which wire is the right wire to hook for signal.If i hook the wrong wire,it will desroy my gauge.Anybody who has done this please help.Its a 4 wire O2 sensor

Old 01-05-2001, 04:42 PM
I have one, but I paid to get it installed. i remember the shop was having fun trying to figure the same thing. I think someone else asked me the same thing a few months ago, he ended up haveing it installed a shop also. Sorry I couldnt help you out more. Good luck, hope someone here knows that for you.

------------------
99' Black (Wikd)SVT
best run 13.20 @ 105.05

01' Nissan Pathfinder
16.13 @ 82.59
240hp/265tq
wanna mod, but wife rolls her eye's

Old 01-05-2001, 06:33 PM
thanks yoda,

I found out which ones.ill post them so if somebody does a search. they will not have to search around like us.We have 4 wire oxegen sensors.One on D.side and one on P.side. On one of them there will be a

RED WIRE/ with black stripe(this is the wire you tap into)

Now on the opposite side there will be a

GREY WIRE/ with LIGHT blue stripe(this is the wire you tap into.

You only need to tap into one of the wires.No need to tap into both unless you are running 2 gauges .

YODA, How do you like your gauge,Where does it usually run with and without chip? Also,does it fluctuate alot with gas pedal?

[This message has been edited by Lightningquick (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-05-2001, 06:39 PM
Banned
Here you go. This was a hot topic a couple of months back. More info in here than you would dare to ask for. Check the last post for info that refers to the pics of the wiring diagrams. I didn't tap in down by the sensor, I did it up by the computer. Info in in the post.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/006475.html

------------------
Rick

My Mods & More

[This message has been edited by ****** (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-05-2001, 07:11 PM
Couple of questions.

does this gauge move alot?

Does it change with a chip(explain)

When you hop on the gas does it work like a tach and hit really rich or lean?

Does anybody have a still pic of it in action?

Is this gauge worth having?

Old 01-05-2001, 10:04 PM
Banned
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lightningquick:
Couple of questions.

does this gauge move alot?

Does it change with a chip(explain)

When you hop on the gas does it work like a tach and hit really rich or lean?

Does anybody have a still pic of it in action?

Is this gauge worth having?
</font>
1) The gauge in mine moves constantly from "rich" to "lean" as the computer makes adjustments.
2) The only difference I've noticed between running with a chip and without is it seems like it doesn't go as far into "rich" and it doesn't stay "rich" as long when running with a chip. Just my personal observation.
3) Depends how hard you jump on it. WOT it goes "rich" and stays until you let up. 3/4 it goes rich and then if you stay there is will start moving back and forth between "rich" and "lean". When you are driving and let off the gas there are times the gauge doesn't display anything as the computer has "leaned" out to a level that is below what the gauge reads. This really "lean" is done in an attempt to reduce air pollution.
4) I don't have a pic of mine to post right now, but I've put one in below that shows the idea. (Borrowed from the site FORDSALES posted)
5) Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I like it for the looks and light show. Also gives you a way to double check that you are getting fuel when you hammer it. Keep in mind this is normally only hooked to one of the O2 sensors. If you want to see what the other side is doing you will need another gauge or a way to switch between them.

------------------
Rick

My Mods & More

[This message has been edited by ****** (edited 01-06-2001).]

Old 01-05-2001, 11:17 PM
If you are using a stock A/F gauge it is only accurate when idling or at a easy cruise speed. It is not accurate at all when going to WOT.

A few of us purchased specially altered gauges which are accurate at WOT (where we thought the accuracy is needed) and even though they are no longer accurate at idle or cruise, they still will function.

Here is the link to read about the altered gauages
http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/

I unscrewed the sensor from the muffler side and disconnected it from the computer side. Took it to a table top, connected a long wire to the sensor black wire, screwed the sensor back into the muffler, connected it back to the computer side, ran the added wire to the gauage and it was finished. It works great. The best way is to wire to the computer side but I found it too hard to do.

------------------
Jim
Jim@FordMotor.cc

Black 00, #1008 of 4966, 4.10's, SuperChip/R9, JL’s Ram Air,
AIM 2" drop, AutoMeter Boost and A/F Gauges, chrome wheels,
Cobra Throttle Body, Mobile1 w/FilterMag
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Old 01-05-2001, 11:21 PM
Thank you for the replies!

Old 01-06-2001, 12:35 AM
Banned
FORDSALES - why would you say the standard gauge is not accurate at WOT? I haven't noticed that at all in day to day use. You might not be able to make tuning adjustments using the standard gauge but it does tell you if you are getting into the "rich" range at WOT. That has been enough for me during some street racing. If you are doing a lot of 1/4 mile passes and are looking for a tuning tool then I would have to agree that the modified gauge would be a better way to go.

Thoughts?

------------------
Rick

My Mods & More

Old 01-06-2001, 01:09 AM

Go to the following link and read what the inventor said and then come back with your thoughts
http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/

Old 01-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Banned
Here’s my take on this and these are JMHOs based on what I read:
(Keep in mind that most of the stuff on his tech page comes straight from the Auto Meter web sit, although he does say there were minor edits)
On his tech info page he has a statement that says
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">IMPORTANT NOTE: These ranges are for the STOCK Autometer gauge read during cruising conditions. They mean nothing at full throttle!</font>
I think that might be a little misleading. Keep in mind that he is using this gauge as a tuning aid. The stock gauge will and does read rich at WOT as it should. The problem he is trying to over come, IMHO, is to be able to use the gauge to tell exactly how rich, not just if it is rich. Because of the band of ranges the stock meter reads it is not, in his opinion, accurate enough to measure the A/F mixture at WOT. I would have to agree with that.

Once the throttle goes past ~80% the computer ignores the readings the O2 sensor sends. The computer is now reading off of internal tables that tell it what A/F is to be regardless of what the O2 sensor says. Here is where the modified gauge comes into play. On his home page there are some keys as to why he modified the gauge the way he did
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Put your voltmeter back in the closet! With one of my modified air/fuel (A/F) gauges you will be able to tune your car with the accuracy of a voltmeter and the speed of an LED gauge.</font>
He's using this modified gauge as a replacement to a volt meter so that he get readings and can make changes to the computer program settings. This is not something the everyday street user is looking for and probably why the stock gauge is IMHO fine for the everyday driver.

He also goes on to say
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Many people, including myself, use the oxygen (O2) sensor voltage readings to tune their car while making adjustments to their fuel mixture with an air/fuel controller (AFC). It's nearly impossible to use an AFC (fuel controller) without an air/fuel gauge. The stock LED type air/fuel gauges are fine for making adjustments to the fuel trim during cruising conditions at partial throttle. These gauges are practically useless at full throttle.</font>
Again he is using the readings from the gauge to adjust the AFC, not something I have the ability to do in my truck and probably not something that most of the guys do on a regular basis. If you are looking to make adjustments to the WOT A/F mixture then I would agree that modified gauge could be better. If you are a daily driver and just want to see if you get into the rich range during that little street battle, then the stock gauge should be enough. JMHO

Keep in mind that this guy is tuning for drag racing. The modified gauge is a tuning tool. I think his statements about the stock gauge being useless are directed at the fact that it doesn’t give the reading ranges needed to tune at WOT. I don’t believe he intended to say that the stock gauge is totally worthless for the everyday user. Since I haven’t spoken to him about this these are just my take on what I read on his site. I can tell you that my stock gauge reads rich at WOT, I just wouldn’t be able to tell you how rich.

[This message has been edited by ****** (edited 01-06-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 04:25 PM
I don't really see a use for it except at WOT. Mine cycles back and forth just like everybody elses. I guess that's cool if your a knight-rider kinda of guy,but I find it distracting and of no useful benefit other than to tell me my O2 sensor is working properly. The greatest chance of going lean and causing the most harm is at WOT. I know my PCM can handle part throttle conditions,I don't know if my fuel system can @ WOT. IMO, that's the only reason to get a air/fuel meter.
Tom

Old 01-06-2001, 05:31 PM
Banned
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by one bad dakota:
The greatest chance of going lean and causing the most harm is at WOT. I know my PCM can handle part throttle conditions,I don't know if my fuel system can @ WOT. IMO, that's the only reason to get a air/fuel meter.
Tom</font>
I agree with your conclusion on this. The standard Auto Meter A/F gauge can and will show if you are getting into the "rich" range at WOT. The standard gauge doesn't read accurately enough to make tuning adjustments based on it's output. If that's what they are looking to do that then they will need to consider using something else and that might be the modified A/F gauge. I use standard A/F gauge as a way to double check not as a tuning aid.

------------------
Rick

My Mods & More

Quick Reply: Help ! People who have added a "AIR/FUEL gauge to the Lightning.