Lightning

Dealer Service Shop (Repaint Vehicle?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 10:20 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dealer Service Shop (Repaint Vehicle?)

The dealer called today regarding the problems the vehicle was having. It took (3-1/2 weeks)
I will recap the problems below:

1: Scratched Valance
2: Grey Grill
3: Alignment (Cam Bolts request)
4: Paint Damage *hood, roof, flare sides*
5: Piston Slap
6: Orange peel (separate from paint damage)

Here is what the service manager had to say regarding each issue on the list:

1: Scratched Valance (Dealer requests to repaint the vehicle with the other problems listed in (#1, #4, #6)

2: Grey Grill(Dealer states that he throughly researched this issue and the grill is the correct color)

3: Alignment (Cam Bolts request)(Dealer aligned the vehicle to the specs that I believe MarkW offered) I am not aware if the Cam Bolts were installed, but I will find out.

4: Paint Damage *hood, roof, flare sides*(Dealer would like me to decide on a full repaint of the entire vehicle. I specifically said I do not want wet sanding to repair the hood roof, flaresides & orange peel. Repainting the entire vehicle would take care of (#1, #4, #6)

5: Piston Slap(Engine does not currently have a problem which can be deteced. It may in the future and he admitted to this)

6: Orange peel (separate from paint damage)(Dealer would like me to decide on a full repaint of the entire vehicle.

I asked the dealer for the shop name where the paint work would be done. Enfield Collison is the name of the place. I asked if they are reputable, and do a nice job. He said he had his explorer done recently by them and it was that Royale Blue. He said they did an excellent job & that I would be happy with the results.

What do youu think should be done?

Many of you might not be aware of the extentive paint damage I had. I clayed, I zainoed, I did everything humanly possible to remove the damage to the hood except use an abrasive. The damage appeared to be deep etched spots, almost like acid rain. The spots had been there since I bought the vehicle.

I don't feel I should have had to use an abrasive on a vehicle that I just bought a couple months ago, so I immediately contacted the service shop.

Old 02-08-2000, 03:54 PM
Banned
Question

Please comment on this! It's Important to me!

Old 02-08-2000, 04:11 PM
Blue,

My vote would be to go for the complete repaint if they can prove they'll do a proper job of it. This is supposed to be a problem on resale later (suspected wreck damage), but I feel if you explained the situation, it doesn't really need to be.

My .02 worth....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
Best run to date 12.857 @103.48
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 100 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars; Bassani headers;Goodrich T/A Drag Radials; Muth Signal Mirrors, inbound

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 02-08-2000).]

Old 02-08-2000, 04:59 PM
Metallic Blue

Metallic Blue
When I had paint work done under warranty on my 95 4X4, I took it to two different dealers
for evaluation. The first one (where I bought the truck) did not have their own bodyshop and used a local shop for their work. This dealer could offer me no guarantee that the job would be done to my satisfaction or would stand the test of time.
The second dealer (where I bought my L) was able to warrantee the work from Ford as it was done in a Ford shop. I only had to have a door repainted, but the long term considerations made me opt for the second dealership. I would check into what if something happened "down the road" such as paint peeling ("nothing sticks to Zaino" you know) before having the work done at this outside shop. I don't know what options you have as far as dealerships in your area, but you don't have to go back to the one you bought your truck from for any warrantee work, and under the circumstances, I think it might be in your best interest to go to to another equipped with a body shop before having any paint work done. There is nothing wrong with a complete paint job if it is done correctly. From what you describe a re-paint is probably required. For your info, every new Ford truck has orange peel to some extent. At least I haven't seen any untouched factory paint jobs without it.
Good Luck with whatever you do.

Lightning Bob

Old 02-08-2000, 08:04 PM
Banned
Lightning Bob,

Thank you for the comment on extended warranty work! I have called Enfield Ford and left a message regarding this.

I would like full warranty coverage on the new paint work and to be reassured that they will do the job over if not done correctly to my satisfaction. It's amazing how this simple precaution evaded me.

Thanks for the reminder!

Old 11-13-2000, 01:56 PM
Banned
Cool

Hello everyone,
I am reviving this topic as well as my other one with "Dealer Service Shop". My lightning was repainted completely, and came out excellent. I wanted to let everyone know.

Sincerely,
Michael Parent

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Shop (Repaint Vehicle?)