Lightning

Locking Gas Cap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2000, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Locking Gas Cap?

Has anyone had any experience with these on the L? I have never really worried much about not having a secure gas tank until someone put something in my brother's Yukon the other day. When we removed the fuel filter some kind of "coffee-ground" looking sludge oozed out. Needless to say, his truck is shot! Isn't maturity great?

Anyway, I was wondering if there are types/brands to check into or to avoid. We have a weird style cap (not a typical screw-on cap) and I don't even know if there is a locker that will fit, but y'all are champs at finding odd stuff on the net, so I figured I'd ask. If y'all know of anything, let me know. THANKS!

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 07-12-2000, 06:58 PM
Exclamation

That's about the first thing I bought for my new L. Like you not worried about someone removing gas, just want to prevent the addition of anything. Bought the cap from my dealer's parts department so naturally it was overpriced, and it is a mild pain to use, but I value the added security.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers, cam bolts, 4.10 gears
(soon, Swanson's chip and MAF, Cal-tracs)
2001 Kevlacat 2400, twin 115 Evinrude FICHT, Raytheon VHF, Radar, and Sounder/DGPS chartplotter

gmvye@pacbell.net

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 07-12-2000).]

Old 07-12-2000, 07:55 PM
Talking

I think a company called claymore makes one.
noelvm

Old 07-12-2000, 09:28 PM
MOB
Locking Gas Cap
Stant 11502 $22.99 (PepBoys)
Funny you should ask. Just bought it. Tried it on and it fits ok, has two keys. Built good, I have used them before. When locked the cap ratchets around free. When unlocked the ratchet engages and lets it unscrew. But the original cap’s lanyard goes through a hole in the body and probably screws in underneath. I’ll swap it Saturday. Locking caps are a pain. But it makes me feel like one less thing to worry about.
“Lock it or lose it”.
MOB

Old 07-12-2000, 10:55 PM
MOB
I bought the same cap when I first got my L. The lanyard on the stock cap just pulls out. I drilled a hole about the same size as in the old cap and pushed in the lanyard. Works great.

------------------
2000 Black Lightning, Snuglid, Custom Bed Carpet, Clear Corners, Lightning banner, Tinted Windows, Custom air intake, 2" drop.
delivered Apr 6. NLOC #377

Old 07-13-2000, 12:01 AM
Thumbs up

I actually got a Ford Motorcraft locking gas cap. Looks and acts like the Stant brand, except has a 'metal' Ford 'cover' over the keyhole on the cap. Just a nice little addition, if you ask me. =)

Anway, the stock cap and lanyard was removed easily. The only thing holding it onto the truck was a rubber grommet that can be worked out. The locking cap I got had the same lanyard and grommet to replace the stock one.

I chose to completely remove the lanyard leash, because the cap would tend to scratch the body panels when you just leave it hanging there. And living in a state where you CAN'T pump your own gas, the attendants wouldn't even care. Oh well, problem solved.

In case anyone's interested, the Ford part number on the box is FC-940 or F75Z-9030-GA. (I don't know which is the part number, these were printed on the sticker on the box.

~rick

------------------
lightning_svt@hotmail.com
2000 Ford F-150 Lightning

[This message has been edited by lightning_svt (edited 08-13-2000).]

Old 07-13-2000, 03:34 PM
Wink

Not being an Oregon native I have to say "I dunno?" Apparently there's some Oregon law or statute or something that says motorists don't pump their own gas at the stations. It could be some weird anti-unemployment thing too. Anyway every gas station has to hire 'pump jockeys' to fill the tanks... I think it's the same thing in New Jersey, yes?

As for oil and other stuff, that's not a problem. Just you don't pump your own gas in Oregon.

~rick

Old 07-13-2000, 03:44 PM
lightning_svt:

Yes, its the same thing in New Jersey. Oregon and New Jersey are the only two states that have this law.

Old 07-13-2000, 04:31 PM
Talking

That's insane! Do they think y'all are gonna blow up the state or something? Hell, down here I see kids filling up tanks for their parents all the time. If they can do it, so can anyone else. So are gas prices higher because it must be pumped by a "trained professional"? LOL! I guess it's just one more reason why I'm glad I live in Texas!

DUCK

------------------

Old 07-13-2000, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Yea it's true, we the people of the state of New Jersey are not smart enough to pump our own gas. The state has to import towel heads to pump the gas. But I always unlock my motorcraft gas cap and if he doesn't get off his duff fast enough, I start pumping it myself. Don't know if they like it or not cuz I can't understand a friggin word they are saying.

Old 07-13-2000, 08:16 PM
Everytime I'm in NJ I tank up because it's cheaper there compared to Ny. I'll pull in and start pumping my own gas...those jockeys are just too slow...one time one of those jockeys said something but I said really? They don't do that in NY. I wonder if they can fine me for pumping my own gas?

Old 07-14-2000, 12:49 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks, Y'all. Personally, I think I'm gonna check into the one that Lightning_SVT has. I like that Ford thing for some reason.

Lightning_SVT-
You said that y'all can't pump your own gas? If not, that's crazy! What's the reasoning behind that? If you can't even do that, then what about stuff like changing your own oil or using antifreeze? Just curious.

DUCK

------------------

Old 08-19-2000, 01:57 PM
I think the part # has been changed to XU5Z9030FA

It is obvious that the politicians in those states consider their constitutes to be rather dumb. Vote them out!

------------------
Jim
jim@jimshaw.cc

Black 00, Swanson Chip (Superchip re-burn is on the way), 4.10's
super whites, Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels
AIM 2" drop shackles, Mobile1 w/FilterMag, clear corners
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

[This message has been edited by FORDSALES (edited 08-19-2000).]

Quick Reply: Locking Gas Cap?