Lightning

Ford Motorsports Oval T. Body?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2000, 04:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ford Motorsports Oval T. Body?

I saw a post on the NLOC board and figured I'd ask here instead since this board seems to see more action.
The post was about the Hi-flow Oval Bore Throttle Body made for the 4.6L 32v Mustangs shown in the Ford Racing Performance Parts Catalog.
It seemed that Lightning Bob (cool name) had the skinny on this subject. The part #M-9926-D464. Is this the one? It looks like it would bolt to our upper intakes. Does it have to be modified to fit? I understand that the linkage needs to be modified. Is this true?

HIGH RISK

Old 07-18-2000, 04:30 AM
They did it to RobGs truck. I posted a thread calling Robg trying to find out! SO comeon guys get out of bed and tell us the info?

[This message has been edited by Burninout101 (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 07-18-2000, 05:02 AM
PFA
Any word on Sal making/finishing an oval t-body? It will be interesting to see the difference on a dyno.

Old 07-18-2000, 07:05 AM
HIGHRISK,
The other week rob and I were at the track and there was a black L with this mod.Thats what got the gears turnin(I smell smoke).Anyway the part# you mention is the one.The only modification that needs to be done to get it to work is that the linkage on the side needs to be flipped upside down.To do this grind the out side tac off and flip it around and tac weld it back into place.If you look at the L throttle body and look at the pic in the catalog youll see the slight variation.Hope this helps.Rob should post soon i hope,I know you guys are anxious!!!When I get back to IL ill be sure to take pics of the Throttle body and post them if somebody doesnt do it by sunday.

[This message has been edited by ZorPrime (edited 07-18-2000).]

Old 07-18-2000, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Bob, Sal here. I've got that TB on my truck. It does bolt on, but the linkage isn't even close to working. And if you just flip it over, it still doesn't line up correctly. I am currently trying to reproduce the Lightning's stock linkage plate, so that I can use them on the oval TB and offer them for sale.

------------------
SAL - TEAM PSP
Best ET 13.09 Best MPH 104.58mph Best 60ft 1.87
Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit, full Bassani Exhaust, M/T ET Streets PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 07-18-2000, 09:49 AM
RobG removed the linkage from his Lightning throttle body and installed it on the Cobra TB. Thottle response was awesome as measured from the passenger seat. Idle was similiar to stock. Be careful removing the throttle postion sensor, the 2 phillips screws are ungodly tight. Times like this I appreciate having a spare L engine.

Lightning Bob

Old 07-18-2000, 06:41 PM
About 4 months ago I was at Houston Raceway Park and a gentleman w/ a white 99 had this throttle body installed. He said they swapped throttle brackets from his original and worked properly. He did say that everything that gets installed goes on a chassis dyno imediatley following. He claimed the truck picked up 12 hp at top but dont recall his torque figures. He did although have a smaller blower pulley and full Bassani exhaust.

------------------
David Sauls (Alvin,Tx.)
White 99 #2895
Birth 7-16-99
Superchips
self made air intake
2" drop shackles
NLOC member #406
13.51@ 101.95 1st and only run on current mods

Old 07-18-2000, 07:45 PM
Thumbs up

Hello People,
I did this mod last weekend and it took about 2 days to finish. The length of time was long because I tried every which way to make the Cobra version work without cutting up my stock T.B. But after I exhausted all possibilities the only thing left to do was cut off my STOCK throttle bracket with a dremel tool, cut off the Cobra bracket than just tack weld the stocker onto the Cobra.
I then swapped the TPS, which was harder to do than the linkage bracket. Those little screws are on TIGHT !!!! If I had to do it again it would be about a 45 minute job.
The throttle response is much better ( even with my PSP filter kit )and the boost comes on very rapidly. Like I told Zorprime though,
if you don't like induction noise DO NOT buy this throttle body because your truck will sound like Satans own vacum cleaner : )
Rob.

Old 07-18-2000, 07:56 PM
I almost forgot, this Sat. I will get my truck on the dyno so I will post the results that afternoon. Unfortunately my stock t.b. is in pieces so I can't do a before and after
but the following weekend the full Bassani goes on so I'll see if opening up the intake did anything to make the exhaust worthwhile.
Adios muchachos.

Old 07-18-2000, 08:38 PM
I would love one of these. But I do not have access to the tools to do it right (welder) How much does the throttle body itself cost. And would someone be willing to set it up for me? How simple is installation. Bolt on?

Old 07-18-2000, 09:42 PM
The throttle body retails for $ 325.00 and is part #M-9926-D464 ( Ford R.P.P. catalog ).
The single blade looks as though it was made for the L, absolutaly no obstruction. Oddly enough if you tried to put it on a Cobra you'd have to grind off a bridge in the stock manifold to get the full benefit. Go figure.

Old 07-18-2000, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info. guys? I have some other stuff in the works now but the throttle seems like an easy one.

PFA,
Page me when you get a second. I have a question.

HIGH RISK

Old 07-19-2000, 10:36 AM
Angry

If you have the new supplement to the Ford Racing Catalog (June) you will see that they raised the price on the M9926-D464 throttle body to $425.00 OUCH!!!

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 07-19-2000, 04:14 PM
Wink

I just ordered mine today, $292.00 I think if you hurry and order, you might make it before the price jump. Or find someone who has them in stock.

Old 07-19-2000, 05:31 PM
JIGAWATT

How'd you get one for such a low price?? I got quoted $325.00 here in Michigan with NO Ford Employee discount allowed, so the guy said.

Quick Reply: Ford Motorsports Oval T. Body?