Lightning

Polishing Exhaust Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2000, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Polishing Exhaust Tips

I've seen a fair number of posts regarding polishing the exhaust tips on the stock Lightning pipe. This is a difficult area to keep clean, as these beasts run very rich and blacken the tips and spatter the ground effects immediately aft of the exhaust.

I can strongly recommend Mother's Aluminum/Mag Wheel polish. This is an ultra-fine abrasive (like a jeweler's polish) in a pertroleum paste base. I used it on my motorcycles in the past, including a full mirror-polish job on an aluminum GS1100E swingarm. I've also used it with great success on a stainless Supertrapp header and some top-secret titanium parts. Give it a try and you'll be pleased. Not only does the abrasive (so fine you can't feel it) do a great polishing job, but the petroleum base is a great stain lifter as well. My exhaust tips always wear a mirror polish.

A little bit goes a very long way. Buy a jar today and you'll still be ploishing with it many years from now. And no, I don't work for these guys.

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****

Beater 1992 Grand Prix
Commuter Mule

Old 07-10-2000, 02:51 PM
Thumbs up

Mother's works GREAT! However, it DOES require lots of elbow grease!...something that many on here seem to be in short supply of. If they thought Cerama Bryte took a long time they'll never like this. I used to use it on the chrome rims I had on my Bronco (15"x10") and it took me about 6 or 7 hours to make them look like new. While it took lots of work, the results were VERY MUCH worth it. Thanks for reminding me about this stuff.

DUCK

------------------
November 18, 1999 We will not forget.
The fallen 12 will live in our hearts forever.
Fightin Texas Aggie Bonfire 1999

Old 07-10-2000, 03:42 PM
Duck:

Yes, the Mother's polish is the bomb. As far as those who are too lazy to "put in the work" on detailing, I just don't get it. The typical answer is "I'm too busy DRIVING mine while you're wasting your time polishing". Think about it - 15,000 miles per year works out to about to an hour per day at 40 mph (or 20 minutes per day at 120). That still leaves plenty of time for a quick polish. Plus, as you're all aware, a clean car/truck is very easy to keep clean.

Is this a rant? I suppose so. I just feel sorry for/annoyed at the occasional moron who pulls into the local cruise-in and lines up his filthy heap next to all the ultra-phat, museum-clean hardware. We had some idiot in a 1997 (I think) Cobra this past Friday, hood up, who looked like he has SHOVELED the mud into the engine compartment. The rest of the beast looked just as bad, which made me want to slap the stupid look off his face.

Of course, parked next to me was my buddy with the immaculate F150 NASCAR, which a day earlier looked like it had been unearthed in an archaeological dig. Don't get me started on that one.

------------------
Silver Y2K Lightning
Bone Stock w/ Duraliner, Ford Hitch Cover

Silver (matching) Y2K ML320 Benz
Burl (ML430) Shift ****

Beater 1992 Grand Prix
Commuter Mule

Old 07-10-2000, 04:18 PM
Blue Magic seems to work great as well.

Mike

Old 07-10-2000, 09:07 PM
I cant help but wash and wax mine all the friggin time....I spaz if the bugs are left on the front end more than a few hours....

Old 07-10-2000, 11:54 PM
I guess I'm also a fanatic for a clean L. I routinely spend about an hour each day during the week cleaning my L. On weekends it gets cleaned and dusted 2-3 times a day. Wax it every week without fail. Interior gets cleaned every week as well. Needless to say, it's spotless at all times.

------------------
2000 Black Lightning, Snuglid, Custom Bed Carpet, Clear Corners, Lightning banner, Tinted Windows, Custom air intake, 2" drop.
delivered Apr 6. NLOC #377

Quick Reply: Polishing Exhaust Tips