Lightning

Seating the brakes got rid of the squeal.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2000, 08:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Seating the brakes got rid of the squeal.

Hello to all:

Perhaps this bit of information can help others with the annoying brake squeal.

My Lightning had no trace of brake squeal until around 5,500 miles. Then I noticed that the brakes occassionally squealed under light application of the brake pedal. Soon the brake squeal was everpresent during light to moderate braking. This was a nuisance and somewhat embarrassing.

I figured I would try to get rid of the squeal by using the "seating" technique I had found descibed on the Sentra SE-R Web Page.

This technique involves repeated (I did it three times) application of the brakes for increasing lengths of time (10 seconds; 15 seconds; 20 seconds) while under power, heating up the brake pad material and the rotors to a point where brake fade was noticeable, followed immediately by cool down periods (1 to 2 minutes in duration while continuing to travel)in between.

This brake seating trick has, to this date (almost a week), done away with the brake squeal and has also made the brake pedal much more responsive.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem.

Wilk

------------------
'97 F-150 4x4 Super Cab; XLT 139" Wheelbase Flairside; Silver Frost Clearcoat; 4.6L. (Romeo); 4-spd Automatic Transmission; Preferred Equipment Package 507A; 3.55 Limited Slip Axle; Electronic Shift 4x4; California Emissions; Sliding Rear Window; Trailer Towing Package; Off-Road Package; 6-Way Power Driver's Seat; Remote Keyless Entry/Anti Theft; 6-Disc CD Changer; Ford Bedliner; Ford Running Boards; Ford Nose Mask; Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

2000 SVT F-150 LIGHTNING
XLT 120" WHEELBASE FLARESIDE
5.4L EFI SOHC V8 SC ENGINE
4-SPD AUTOMATIC
SILVER CLEARCOAT METALLIC

Roll n Lock Tonneau Cover.

SVT Online Store Lightning Front End Mask (still in box)

Old 06-22-2000, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm.... can't hurt to try.

Thanks!

------------------
2000 Red Lightning Born 3-8-00 / Delivered 3-22-00
22% Window Tint, Clear Corners, MPulse LoPro Tonneau, AIM 2" Drop Shackles, Bed Rug, PSP Filter Kit

'99 Yukon Denali - Silver, Lowered 1", Borbet CW4's, 285/60R18 Toyo Proxes S/T's, Hotchkis AntiSways, Edelbrock Shocks

2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

Old 06-23-2000, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
veeeery interesting.

I will keep this in mind if and when my brakes start to squeal.

------------------
Jim

jim@jimshaw.cc
Black 00, Swanson Chip, clear corners, super whites
Airaid w/10" Big Mouth filter, chrome wheels, AIM 2" drop shackles
2000 E320, 1993 Cobra R, 1959 Corvette, 1949 Plymouth Coupe

Looking for a better paying job to support my L

Quick Reply: Seating the brakes got rid of the squeal.