Lightning

Valentine 1 installation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2000, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Valentine 1 installation???

A couple of questions:
1) Where did you pick up switched power for the remote power connection?
2) Where did you mount the remote display option and how?
3) How much of the dash and windshield side trim did you remove to route the power to the main unit and to the remote display?
4) And what are all those open connectors under the dash? There are at least three in addition to the computer connector.
5) Any pictures of your V1 installation?

Old 06-13-2000, 04:34 PM
HIHOAG

I just ran the power wire to the fuse box and pluged into one end of the fuses. Works great. I mounted my remote display to the top of the steering column{with velcro} where you can reach easly. I mounted the V1 to the bottom of the windshied right above the windshied wipers, and run the wires along the defroster outlets. It seems to work great it has found cops in every direction so works great.and its out of the way.

Old 06-13-2000, 05:36 PM
HIHOAG -
1) Used a fuse tap to get power. Found at most auto parts stores. Hook up remote and V1 into plug provided with V1.
2) See pic below
3) Removed post trim drivers side and trim around steering column.
4) Have no idea what you are asking about
5) Below

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter with S&B Big Mouth
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear Front Corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
* Taillight Covers
* Muth Turn Signal Mirrors
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

[This message has been edited by Hwy_2_L (edited 06-13-2000).]

Old 06-13-2000, 05:39 PM
My remote is on the steering column with the main unit just below the overhead console. Ran the wires under the edge of the headliner and down the pillar on the driver's side. Didn't have to remove anything but the fuse panel cover. I found a fuse that was hot when the key is turned forward and hooked up up to that.

Mike

Old 06-13-2000, 09:20 PM
I mounted mine pretty much where everyone else has; main unit between visors in center and the remote on top of the column just in front of the PRNDL. Currently the remote is fastened w/double faced tape. I'm going to change that over to velcro so I can remove it easily if needed to keep from prying eyes.

On the wiring, I pulled the LH kick panel and tapped into a connector at that bracket that was switched. I used the supplied fuse tap and replaced the kick panel. I didn't want aftermarket wires sprouting from the fuse panel, but that's just a matter of personal preference, nothing more.

I mounted the relay box w/double face tape to the bottom of the RKE (keyless entry) box attached to the firewall above and forward of the park brake.

Old 06-14-2000, 02:59 AM
adp
Wink

Well, I did mine a little bit differently. I mounted the main unit on the passenger's side visor. (Yes, I had to modify the worlds most stupid visor mount.) The remote is mounted on the supplied power plug and simply plugged into the power outlet. The wire hides nicely behind all of the trim with out having to remove any. This way, I can move the unit from car to car and simply attach the permanently mounted wires. I had to make the wires up from phone line since the supplied line was too short but it is very simple with line, connectors and a connector installer tool from Radio Shack. By flipping up the visor, the unit is invisible from outside the car - at least from a distance.

adp
Black '99

[This message has been edited by adp (edited 06-14-2000).]

Old 06-14-2000, 11:39 AM
Roger,
Is that the connector about 4" from the left-hand kick panel, which color wire did you tap? What is that connector for anyway? I came to the same conclusion on the location for the relay box.

I don't really like the PRNDDL location for the remote display and the cigarette lighter power accessory location is too low for me. So I'm still deciding on the location. Maybe a custom bracket that attaches to the dash screws?

For the detector I'm considering manufacturing a bracket that attaches either to the overhead console or the rearview window mount. I've made mounts before for other detectors that glue directly to the windshield just like the rearview mirror, but this detector will move between a few vehicles so that's not a good option.

Thanks everyone for the inputs, I'm using a little from each of you. If I come up with anything innovative I'll let you know.

Old 06-14-2000, 09:34 PM
HIHOAG: I'll have to answer the wire color and connector purpose questions tomorrow after I get home from work -- sorry, ran outta time to go out and yank up the scuffplate tonight.

Old 06-15-2000, 06:22 AM
Question

I was courious if a windshield header(the letters that could on top of the windshield will mess the dectator up)I would really be pissed if I bought ones installed it and got a ticket becuase of the header.Thanks for the help

Justen

Old 06-16-2000, 12:23 AM
I had mine mounted right above the rear-view mirror, which works very well, provides max distance, and you virtually can not see it looking in the front windshield.

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 installation???