Lightning

Need Advise On The Best Soft Tonneau Cover For My New L!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need Advise On The Best Soft Tonneau Cover For My New L!

I am planning to buy a soft tonneau cover for my L in the next few days and was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on which one to buy. I was thinking that a low-profile or flush mounted tonneau cover would look best since the L's have the factory bed rails. The one that I was looking at was the Saddleman low-profile tonneau. Any suggestions? HANKFAN

Old 06-09-2000, 05:29 PM
Thumbs up

Is there any special reason why you prefer a soft cover to a hard one? I've just heard a lot of people complain about their soft covers. Just wondering...

DUCK

------------------
Build the Hell outta Bonfire 2000!

Old 06-09-2000, 05:36 PM
The reason why I really didn't want a hard cover was because of the price.

HANKFAN

Old 06-09-2000, 05:53 PM
Make sure you look at the product first hand before you buy. I saw a lot of junk out there when I was looking. If you wanted a regular tonneau, Tekstyle is pretty good. I have the roll-n-lock, they came out with a lightweight for about $550 (which is what I bought). My complaints about it would be - Lock freezes (may not be an issue for you), and drilling in the bed rails, weighs more than a soft (but lighter than a hard one). But I love it other than that. It's easy open, easy close, and secure. Shipping was a killer too, $150 from CA to OH. If you can find a retailer you may be able to avoid shipping.

Old 06-09-2000, 06:38 PM
Thumbs up

Whats wrong with the $150 one that came with my lightning? it held up to a 148mph run. i thought it was a pretty good value. i did replaced it with a roll-n-lock, also for security

Old 06-09-2000, 07:27 PM
I had the Tekstyle, it looked decent but I thought the quality and fit sucked. I traded it for an Extang BlackMaxx and I love it. Have pegged the speedo with it no problems. Also roll it up and remove the bows all the time, it's very easy.

Mike

Old 06-09-2000, 10:01 PM
Old 06-09-2000, 11:00 PM
Thumbs up

I have the sportmaster flip tonneau,easily lifts to load, and I could remove it in under one minute for the really big loads. Cost was 300 but well worth it... Summit carrys them

------------------
Spiro-TEAM PSP
99 SVT Lightning
BLK. #1476 5/20/99
------------------
Bassani catpipes
Bassani catback
Mickey Thompson E.T. Drag`s
------------------
Cervini`s 3-inch Cowl Hood
A-pillar Phantom Boost Guage
Fuel pressure guage
Redline Water Wetter
Sportmaster Flip tonneau
CD changer

Best run to date
13.064 @105.33
Best 60` 1.84
Best m.p.h. 106.66

"Empty Pockets Racing"Drag Race Team NJ-DE

LAUNCH HARD

Old 06-09-2000, 11:01 PM
Why not get the one from the dealer? I've had mine for 8 mos and it's worked out great. It's not secure but it looks good and is easy to clean. It has also survived the rigors I put it through and has not appeared to fade or tear. The only thing I am going to do to improve it is to get the bed sprayed. All else is well with it.

Old 06-10-2000, 01:31 AM
Talking

I got the Downey SST. It's available in the online store. I got mine locally since they said they would match delivered price and install free.
http://www.dp-sst.com/2sst-info.htm

My reasons:
1) No holes to drill
2) Can be removed completely, quickly and easily
3) Lifetime warranty on frame and snap system, 3 years on cover
4) Had no problems at umm, speeds in the 110's...please no flames
5) Snap system is not tied to a single receptacle making it easy on easy off
6) Can be had in many colors, I specifically wanted silver, they had and it matches very well
7) For those who are weight concerned, weighs very little.
8) Easy to clean, no waxing, just mild washing and using some 303 to keep it protected in the Arizona death sun.

I am buying another set of bed caps and a tail gate cap to get them painted silver for a maximum monochrome look. If anybody has any tips on what to look for to get these painted so that they will last please let me know.

------------------
Silver 2000, Delivered, 2Mar00!
NLOC Member #344

Old 06-10-2000, 10:13 AM
Cool

I like the Extang cover. I have the Lund right now, but man that Extang is sweet. A buddy of mine has it on his dodge, and a local shop I do alarm work for on the side highly recommends them. The snaps come off and are reversible. The snap isn't centered, so you turn it upside down in the winter when the cover is "tighter" and right side up in the summer when the cover is "looser".

------------------
1997 F-150, 4.6, automatic, Dark Toreador Red, Supercab, Flareside, 4X4 Off-Road, Towing Package, Ford hvy dty rubber floor mats, Kenwood 10-disk cd changer, Kenwood am/fm cassette head unit, Ford bugshield, Chrome Grizzly Wrap Around Push Bar with 2 KC 100w Daylighters, Lund Lunar Visor, Ventshades, Ford bedliner, Lund Premier tonneau cover, cab and bed professionally undercoated, Code Alarm Sure Start RVS remote starter, Ford alarm, Realistic CB with Wilson Little Wil antenna, ported MAF sensor, and Lots of TLC!! (Besides being an F-150 nut, I am a Ford auto technician.)

Quick Reply: Need Advise On The Best Soft Tonneau Cover For My New L!