Lightning

V1 Detectors and Tint

Old 06-07-2000, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V1 Detectors and Tint

I did a search on this and only found one thread from late last year that sort of addressed this. Is anybody currently using a Valentine One with titanium tint? I'd like to use a dark tint using titanium but don't want to defeat the V1 in the process. It seems kind of nuts to pay for a tint job that screws up a great detector in the process. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-07-2000, 10:25 PM
Never heard of Titanium but I have Nickel on the back and it doesnt seem to hurt anything.
I clip the V1 into the headliner between the console and the drivers visor - It points thru the tint at the top of the windshield. I have tried the suction cup install at a number of places before deciding on the headliner install. Havent seen any change in sensitivity. Still need to work on the details of the visor clip/ headliner install. It is a little looser than I would like but best spot so far. I hardwired the power into the same spot.
Best detector I have ever seen - Hope this helps
Doug

Old 06-07-2000, 10:52 PM

Received a ticket & My V1 didn't go off. The officer was kind enough to do a demo for me telling me my detector wouldn't go off. He was surprised that it worked. He said they tested several detectors and none of those tested worked. So, they must not have had a V1.

But I'll tell you if your detector is visor mounted and they aim at you plate you won't pick up the signal unless its aimed at the emblem in the grill or higher.

Old 06-07-2000, 11:35 PM
Talking

MN You must be talking about laser, right. S and K band spread with distance and can generally be picked up better with high mounts. Many detectors come with warnings not to mount in tinted area of windshield. I have mine mounted with the suction cups just over the top left side of the mirror and just under the tinting.
noelvm

[This message has been edited by noelvm (edited 06-07-2000).]

Old 06-08-2000, 12:08 AM
Thumbs up

Yep, a light gun. Tough to beat! He was on a (motor)bike on the sidewalk being sneaky.

Old 06-08-2000, 12:09 AM
I saw the tint warning, But after a few months in the Texas sun the suction cups required oral sex before they would stick and I like to be able to hide my V1. So I compromised, the visor mount with the wire hidden in the headliner hides real well and goes up and down in a second.

I was driving down a familar road the other day and started getting picking up radar, strong but in short bursts. I was about 1/2 mile from red light, turned left at light, as soon as I did the thing went nuts. The cop was about 1/4 mile down road I turned left onto. The radar was reflecting off the cars that were turning as I approched the intersection...

After that I am satisfied it works well enough for me through the tint. (The warinings are about tint with metallic content.)

Doug

[This message has been edited by Silver_2000_! (edited 06-08-2000).]

Old 06-08-2000, 12:33 AM
My wife said that would make her stick better too. I don't know what shes talking about. I never tried to put her on the windshild..

Old 06-08-2000, 01:37 AM
;P ;P

Old 06-08-2000, 07:24 AM
All - thanks for the feedback
Silver_2000_ ! - Titanium is a metal base in the tint. It's real big here in Florida as it blocks out a lot of the rays. They put it on our office building and it really hurt the cell phone coverage so I figured it would kill the V1. By the way, I haven't had to get that friendly with my V1 yet!

MNLightning - Ouch. Don't you just hate it when they are helpful like that. Laser is tough to detect alright. Neighbor is a lawman and just laughs when you talk about defending against laser.

noelvm - Not going there.....

------------------
Rick - Hwy_2_L@HotMail.com
White 00 - Adopted May 3rd 00

* Valentine One with remote
* Superchip Flipchip CUX2R2
* Airaid Filter
* Hard Tonneau
* Bedrug
* Clear front corners
* Ultra Whites – top and bottom
Upcoming mods
* Window tint
* Sound system

Old 06-08-2000, 03:14 PM
Wink

I have a K40 sonar rader system installed in 300zx, which is both front and rear bumper mounted. I will be getting their new version for the L, I like it best because it is undetectable works great.

Old 06-08-2000, 03:22 PM
2KSVT...

Does K40 have a website? Who makes it? Where can I find one?

Old 06-08-2000, 04:20 PM
Talking

Yes LD they do have a website and the mfg is K40 electronics. Most high end stereo shops sell the K40 system.
The website is located at WWW.K40.com --the system is a little expensive but the shops will usually give you a deal if asked and if you get a ticket then K40 will pay for it.

Old 06-08-2000, 05:29 PM
I'm about to buy a V-1, and was interested in this topic. I don't think there's any argument that the V1 is the best RADAR detector, but I guess it's hard to detect laser, when the cops are trained to hit the license plate. I just went to K40's site, and saw the "Laser Diffuser", a system incorporated into a license plate bracket, (costs $299), that apparantly scrambles the laser signal (assuming they point it at your plate). Anyone tried this? Sounds like a drain on the battery, but a novel idea- I'd be interested to find out if it works. I'd hate to have that ugly-*** $300-dollar license plate frame for nothing.

------------------
Ando, '00 Mercedes CLK430 Coupe

Old 06-08-2000, 05:29 PM
Also, has anyone gotten the "B-Goods" detector from Valentine? They sell refurbished ones for $50 less than normal. Thanks in advance for any info.

[This message has been edited by Ando (edited 06-08-2000).]

Old 06-08-2000, 09:53 PM
Talking

The best answer is to remove the front plate. Yea, (Texas) we are a two plate state also, but I keep mine under the middle of the seat where I can grab it quickly and stick it on the dash if stopped and try to BS my way out. Most cops down here don"t care unless they are stopping you for something else first.
I've seen several laser jammers for sale, but I have never seen any independent test.
noelvm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V1 Detectors and Tint