Lightning

4:10 GEARS IN A GENERATION 2 L

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2000, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4:10 GEARS IN A GENERATION 2 L

I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE RUNNING 4:10'S IN THERE GEN 2 L. JUST CURIOUS WHERE THE GOT THEM? ANY INFO WOULD BE A GREAT HELP.
THANKS.

Old 05-24-2000, 08:59 AM
gp
try fords racing catalog.

Old 05-24-2000, 04:08 PM
Angry

Ordered a set of 4.10s three weeks ago from Hawaii Racing in Simi Valley. It was charged to my credit card on May 2. Called them today to find out if gears were in yet, and some dude said he couldn't look it up by name, he had to have the p/n. I have it written down someplace; I'll find it as soom as someone tells me what I did with my keys. Meanwhile, does anyone know the p/n for the Ford racing 4.10 gears?

OK, so I remembered where I wrote the p/n down, on a little yellow scrap of paper, but now I can't find the paper. (Found the little scrap of paper, thumb tacked to my bulletin board- duh) Doesn't matter, after diligent search I found the p/n at Gene Evans Ford web site. It is M-4209-H410. They want $250 for the ring and pinion set. (Hawaii racing charged me $210.16, which includes tax and shipping). You also need a new pinion nut, which you can get from your Ford dealer. I don't remember the p/n, and since I already have the part I'm not going to waste time searching for it. Now I just have to find out when it will get here. Germanson will install for $250 or $300, so altogether it will cost me less than Down's Ford wants for the gears alone.

------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

'84 Alan Record Carbonio, Aerospoke wheels, Campy brakes.
'00 SVT Lightning, silver, G-tech Pro, JBA headers

gmvye@pacbell.net

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 05-25-2000).]

Old 05-24-2000, 08:59 PM
alphadoggy;
Pinion nut: N811024-S100 (cost is $7.50-$10.00 depending upon where you buy)
*FMS Gear: M-4209-H410 (FMS retail = $199.00-street price $165.00-$180.00)(see availability below)
US GEAR: F75W-4209-EA retail approx $322.00 or so (from an old post by JIGAWATT)

* I had a set ordered from PPI (Jim Dingell is about the most reliable guy in the biz). He came back and told me they are on backorder right now. Unknown when they'll be available (the system showed 12 sets available but it couldn't cough up any).

I'm thinking about Precision Gear they're about 40% higher in price however, so I haven't made the 'jump' yet.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2000, 12:52 AM
Cool

Gears on b/o? Maybe that's why I haven't heard from Hawaii Racing (what kind of a name is that for an outfit in Simi Valley, CA?). The guy who is going to install the gears says he prefers the FMS gears to the Precision gears because they are softer and therefore quieter. (And I would have thought that harder would be stronger, and therefore better).

Old 05-25-2000, 01:27 PM
Angry

Update: just got off the phone with Randy @ Hawaii Racing. He spoke to Ford, and was informed that the 4.10s had been discontinued. And, to make matters worse, Superior Gear, which sells a set for about $250, is out of their last production run and will not make any for another 4 or 5 months. The only option left is Precision Gear, which as Roger points out is considerably more expensive. Ford does still make the 3.73s, but I don't see that much gain to be had by switching to those. Guess I will have to call Randy back and order the Precisions. What the hell, its only pictures of dead presidents.

[This message has been edited by alphadoggy (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-25-2000, 04:47 PM
alphadoggy;

Do you have a part number for the 4:10 from Pression. I called motorsport and the 4:10 were discontinued but he said they plan on comming out with a replacement for the 99 and up lightning. I know Downs Ford also will have a new shipment ready soon but they really want way too much money for there gears. Do you know if there is any other company that might have stock?

Old 05-25-2000, 09:09 PM
1FAST, I don't have the p/n for the Precision Gear, but I could call Randy back and get it for you. I want my MTV, er gears, and I want them NOW, so I ordered the Precisions this a.m. He thinks they will be here in a couple of days. $339, but that's still a lot cheaper than the Downs. As I see it there are 4 options for the 4.10s. 1) Wait for FMS (vaporware), 2) wait for Superior (vaporware, eta 4-5 mos. 3) pay the outrageous prices that Downs wants, or 4) find a source and cough up the bucks for the Precisions. I opted for door #4. What can I say, patience is not my long suit (at my age, I don't buy green bananas).

Old 05-26-2000, 09:17 AM
alphadoggy, if you could get me that part # it would be great. I am just like you and have no patients. Do you know if yoiu have ot change the pinion with thr pression gear? if so could i get that part # too. Sorry if I sound like an idiot but want to do it the right way. Thanks again.

Chris

Old 05-26-2000, 01:06 PM
Chris, not only do I have no patients, I don't even have a medical license. But, to answer your question, the p/n for the Precision gears is F97-410. As Roger pointed out, you also need a pinion nut, which is a stock Ford item, p/n N811024-S100. I don't know whether the stock shims will work, you may need some shims- anyone else know? Hawaii Racing charged me $339 for the gears, plus tax and shipping. Since you don't live in CA you wouldn't have to pay tax. I don't know whether you can find a cheaper source on the web, but I suppose its worth a try. You can check out Hawaii @ http://www.hawaiiracing.com/

Old 05-26-2000, 01:10 PM
franks&beans
Cool

It seems that everyone responding to this thread is paying way to much money for a set of gears. Have you tried looking in the 4X4 mags? They have several companies you can order from, many are under $200.00. I bought my gear set from a shop here in San Diego for $180.00 plus tax. I went with the best gears in the market --US/STRANGE GEAR. I also bought the complete install kit for $68.00. Installation was another $265.00 The gears have been in my truck for 8 months now and not one problem, they are smooth, and very quiet. This is the box that the 4.10's came in. The gears shown are for sale and are the OEM 3.55 from my truck.

Good luck w/ your gears.

Regards,

F&B's

------------------
1998 (50th anniversary series) Solid Pacific Green F-150 XLT, Supercab, 6' bed, 2WD, 4.2L automatic, Limited Slip and Tow Pkg., Rear slider

Performance Mods:
Superchip
4.10 gears
Outerwears pre-filter and K&N air filter
Dynomax Super Turbo muffler

Suspension:
Edelbrock IAS shocks
Hellwig rear sway bar

Other:
3" body lift
Signal mirrors
Stull polished grills
(4)55 watt driving lights
(2)55 watt back-up lights
all controlled by SPDT switches
Fiberglass hood ;-)
Painted tailgate handle and OEM air dam
Color keyed outer grill
OEM fender flares
Black Max soft Tonneau cover
Driver side grab handle
Lift lips
Viper alarm w/(remote start)
3" rear seat lift
Smart Park 2000
BFG AT's 265/75/16
Carr side steps.......
lmaox10@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by franks&beans (edited 05-26-2000).]

Old 05-26-2000, 01:25 PM
I had to post that I thought your truck is drop dead gorgeous ! nice.

I wish the BOLTs came in nicer colors.

Old 05-26-2000, 02:06 PM
Question from Lightning owner who has never opened a rear end and doesn’t plan to.

I ordered Ford 373 gears and the parts guy ordered about 200 worth of bearings and races and stuff to go with them. He said the bearings are pressed on and it is likely they will need these parts to do the install. If they don’t need them I wont pay. Can anyone who has cracked open a rear end give some advice... Will they need all the bearings he ordered ?? Is it that hard to remove bearings with 7000 miles and replace them without damage ?

Also does anyone have a part number for chrome diff cover? Since they are gonna take it off seems like a good time to upgrade from the stock black.

Thanks in advance

Doug

Old 05-26-2000, 02:23 PM
alphA,

Thanks for all of your help, but I lucked out. I think I called the entire country and I found a set of the FMS 4:10. I was told it was the last set showing up on their inventory screen. It was a deal too only 175.00 and 8.00 for the nut. Lets just hope that they actually show up. cant wait to get them in so I can post some nice times. Thanks again

Old 05-26-2000, 10:41 PM

Any help with a part number for chrome diff cover? Since they are gonna take it off seems like a good time to upgrade from the stock black.
Doug

------------------
Got Silver 2000 Lightning 2/28/00!!
1st run 13.9 sec 1/4 !!
Doug
Carrollton TX
drbdkb@hotmail.com
Had 87 Turbo Coupe traded for
92 F150 XLT 302, Put K&N Filter, cat back and Chip on 92 still not enough.

Silver 2000 Lightning, Valentine 1, Snuglid, Bedrug and nickel tint.
Have Sals Chip and Filter and 3.73 gears on order, cant wait.

Quick Reply: 4:10 GEARS IN A GENERATION 2 L