Lightning

Cooling the Intercooler.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2000, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cooling the Intercooler.

I always noted that the truck is much faster when the engine has cooled for several hours. I know that someone has put an electric fan on the IC to assist in cooling the air charge. My idea was to spray the IC with a fine water mist which would aid in cooling the air even more. In order to reduce hp drag from the alternator while spraying the water, I figured you could use compressed air to supply the "power" to spray the water. Any thoughts?

------------------
2000 Black Lightning, Snuglid,Clear corners,Lightning banner, tinted windows
delivered Apr 6. NLOC #377

Old 04-26-2000, 12:32 AM
You are absolutely right the best power comes with a cold engine. Start it let it run minute or 2 and get the best launch of the day. Now is that a cold intercooler ? Cold Transmission ? Cold sensors ??

Wish I knew - Would love to be able to bottle it...

Doug

Old 04-26-2000, 12:45 AM
Silver
I would suspect that the extra power comes form the cold engine that's allowing the air charge to remain cool, thereby increasing the air density. As the engine heats up, so does that air going in, resulting in a less dense air (less oxygen). Maybe I'll try to figure out how to rig it up.

------------------
2000 Black Lightning, Snuglid,Clear corners,Lightning banner, tinted windows
delivered Apr 6. NLOC #377

Old 04-26-2000, 01:36 AM
adp
Thumbs up

Check with JoeLightning.

He has multiple fans cooling his IC fluid and documented about a 15 Deg decrease in fluid temps. This was during a Dyno run. It was compared to an L with no cooling extras on the same Dyno at the same time.

adp
Black '99

Old 04-26-2000, 09:00 AM
Hi Risk has posted having 3-6" dia fans cooling his IC cooler, and one ? dia on his trans cooler, 12.6 without juice. I have a 12" dia fan cooling my IC cooler and trans. cooler. It does make a small difference. Once the motor heats up its not as drastic but is a difference. You guys are on the right track, except for bottled water and compressed air. Would be to costly for such a system, the other parts are off the shelf.

Old 04-26-2000, 09:33 AM
'00BlackLightning,

Check out my comments in https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001104.html .

Bottom line I believe it makes all runs consistant. A couple corrections from my posting in the above thread: 1) The fan assembly weighs less than 5 pounds, and 2) It takes less than 5 minutes to bring the intercooler water temperature withing 5 degress of ambient, and maybe another 5 minutes to be within 1 degree of ambient.

I had considered the water spray idea for quite some time. The part that I couldn't resolve was if for any reason you get some water dripping from the misters (highly likely) as you approach the line at the track, they may not let you run. I know this seams ludicrous with all those people who pull straight through the water box and drip all over the place with their treaded tires, but out here they’ll stop you from running if you have condensate dripping from you’re A/C. In addition, a spray bar only provides additional cooling when the humidity is low, and I didn’t think Texas was known for dry air.

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0056

Old 04-26-2000, 11:14 AM
How about putting a fuel line Coolcan inline with the intercooler hoses. Summit has them for fuel lines with 3/8 inch lines.
With ice in them it would probably lower the coolant temp.
[This message has been edited by SCOTTODOG (edited 04-26-2000).]

Old 04-26-2000, 03:16 PM
tvw
FWIW the subject of intercoolers & effectiveness has been discussed for years on the Turbo Regal mailing list (go to http://www.gnttype.org/misc/info.html for more info on access to their archives & tech info). One interesting fact that has come out of all of this is that the little 3.8 liter Buick engines -generally- pick up about a hp for each degree of temperature reduction applied to the intake charge. Sheer speculation here but I'd imagine that we'd see commensurate gains in the L. So one question might be: for every degree of temp removed from the intercooler coolant, how many degrees of temp are removed from the intake charge? Given that, one could put together a rule of thumb for hp increase based on intercooler coolant temp reduction.

-tvw

Old 04-26-2000, 03:18 PM
Couldnt find the coolcan on Summit site,

Sal posted a couple times about a Tranny/intercooler fan setup. Wonder If he has made any progress..

Doug

Old 04-26-2000, 03:30 PM
tvw
I had another thought on this intercooler coolant stuff; has anyone tried Redline water wetter or equivalent? On behalf of better heat transfer any sort of substance like this that plays with surface tension and doesn't corrode the intercooler seems like it would be helpful.

-tvw

Old 04-26-2000, 03:33 PM
Tried Watter wetter - Noticed no difference but I have no Intercooler temp gauge to check

At 6 bucks for a bottle it cant hurt.

Doug

Old 04-26-2000, 07:30 PM
pictures of coolcans above.

Old 04-26-2000, 11:47 PM
Thumbs down

Hey Guy's:

When I go to the track, I took a ice chest full of ice with 3-1 gal. bottles of water. I ran the pump with a battery and jumper wires to flush with ice water. I had no improvement with the ice water!! In fact with the just ran (1/4 mile) water, It ran better the second past with the same water in it. So just below air temp, not ice water worked best for me.
Just my .02
12.89@107.62

Silver 2000:
The tranny cooler is right behind the bumper below the engine rad.and above the inner cooler. The way I see it the tranny cooler doesn't get any air from fan or free air driving. I have the front of my L apart right now and working on a second T.cooler. It will be up high where it wil get both fan and free air. I will get pic's as soon as I'm done.
[This message has been edited by JIGAWATT (edited 04-26-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JIGAWATT (edited 04-27-2000).]

Old 04-27-2000, 09:43 AM
Hey Jigawatt:
I mounted one 12" dia fan in front of both the trans cooler and the IC cooler. It was only 2.4" thk. and fit right between the bumper and IC cooler. Installed a manual switch and use it to keep everything cool before making a run. It is a little off center lined up with the IC cooler but fit just fine.
I like High Risk idea about 3-6" fans on the IC cooler, more efficent.

Old 04-27-2000, 10:51 AM
Here are pictures of my fans:

------------------
Joel.......
99.5 White Lightning,
SVT # 0056

[This message has been edited by JoeLightning (edited 09-13-2000).]

Quick Reply: Cooling the Intercooler.