Lightning

SEATS

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SEATS

MY FRIEND AND I HAVE NOTICED A FLAW IN THE DESIGN OF THE SUPERSTRUCTURE OF THE DRIVERS SEAT ON OUR LIGHTNING. IT'S IN THE OUTER PORTION OF THE BOTTOM PART OF THE SEAT. IT IS IN THE OUTER HUMP THAT YOU SLIDE OVER GETTING IN AND OUT OF THE TRUCK. MY DLRSHP. HAS ORDERED ME A NEW SEAT, AND SO HAS HIS.
IT APPEARS AS A DARK AREA. BY PRESSING DOWN ON THE SPOT YOU WILL DETECT A CUT IN THE RUBBER PADDING BELOW BY A METAL BAR UNDER IT. THIS APPEARS TO BE OF A SERIOUS NATURE TO ME.

MR.ED

\

Old 02-27-2000, 01:24 PM
Bennett,

fyi, please dont type in caps it makes really hard to read, and im only 14.

Old 02-27-2000, 06:30 PM
Could someone please clarify with maybe a pic on what to look for on the seat problem my truck will be here soon and i am worried if the 2000's will have the same problems thanks

Old 03-05-2000, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, Sal here. I am taking care of some of the minor stuff on my truck that seems to be common problems. I looked at the seats at work, but can't seem to see what you guys are talking about. What I did see was that the plastic panel on the side of the seat that holds the switches seems to be cutting into the suede of the part that overhands it. Is this what you guys are referring to? If not could you please be more specific, or if possible, provide a picture of what you are talking about? Thanks!!

------------------
SAL
13.24@103mph
All stock with Power Surge Performance 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit
PowerSurgePerf@aol.com

Old 03-05-2000, 01:24 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers, but I complained of this problem before I sold my Lightning. For me, and a few others who responded, the pressure of the buried rod pressing into my thigh on long trips became quite uncomfortable. I found myself shifting positions often to alleviate the problem.

------------------
Mark Swaim
1999 Lightning (sold)
1997 Cobra (deceased)
1993 Cadillac Allante

Old 03-06-2000, 12:06 AM
Cool

Guys,

The seat problem is one I have posted about before. The bottom of the seat ..Not the leather insert but the bolster...the grey area that you slide over as you get in or out. The structure of the frame that the foam...or cushion is overlaid on. If you press down on the bolster area with a hand you will feel a metal rod that runs from front to back about the middle of the bolster. remember this is where you park you butt. Your outer thigh area will be over this bolster and the rod beneath.
I first noticed the material looking well almost dirty...it was just a depression in the seat where that rod was ..the foam is cut by the rod once we get in and out enough times ...I would note that both seats will more than likely develope the same problem.
Even the inside bolster on the drivers seat may be suseptible.
My Service manager offered to remove the seat and send it for repair. I would like a new seat with some type of sheathing over the rod that would distribute the load more
evenly.
I think we will all have this problem eventually.

[This message has been edited by Twisted99 (edited 03-05-2000).]

Old 03-06-2000, 12:18 AM
I have the same problem. I'm a big guy and I noticed it within the first few weeks. There is a dark line running front to back on the outside bolster on the seat bottom. If you push down with your hand on the dark line you will feel the ridge that is causing the problem.

------------------
White 1999 Lightning
Build Date 7-26-99
Snuglid
Bedrug
Superchip
Member NLOC

Old 03-06-2000, 08:21 AM
Really Old "Member"
Yup, me too.

Problem I see is that if they replace it, it is only a matter of time before it reappears as it seems to be "built in" to the design of the seat. I cannot see Ford redesigning the seat for 4-5 thousand trucks a year.
Any ideas?
Bill

------------------
99.5 Lightning
Build #247
PSP Chip/Filter
Bassani full system
White/normal options
Tamiya 1/10 scale Bolt
Several old trucks/cars
Thunder & Lightning
Rag Doll Cats
E-mail MOSTOYSINC@AOL.com
Kennesaw, Ga. (Atlanta)

Old 03-07-2000, 12:49 AM
Hmmm.......

I will have to ask my friend in the quality control division about this one....

At first I thought this was just a random thing on a couple of trucks, but it appears that a few others have this problem as well. However, ordering a new seat isn't going to solve the problem as Bill put it.....Perhaps a heavier guage foam would work well.

Paul G.

Old 03-08-2000, 12:46 AM
Back to the top. Can we be the only ones with this problem?

Old 03-09-2000, 12:06 AM
Banned
I want to hear more! I am going to immediately look at my seats when the vehicle is done being repainted.

Old 03-11-2000, 12:46 AM
I wonder if this is only a problem for "wide bodies". My thighs rest on the bottom cushion bolsters. You guys with "cracker a$$es" probably don't have this problem.

PBGas,

Any news from your friend?

[This message has been edited by jack77 (edited 03-11-2000).]

Old 03-24-2000, 03:01 PM
PFA
I talked to the Dealer when I picked up my L today and they are ordering new padding that goes under the top material. Then I got a call saying that the part is on backorder--D99. Hopefully they are redesigning this part so it doesn't happen again.

Old 03-27-2000, 01:50 AM
Unhappy

While mine is in getting it's engine replaced, I had both PS and leaking head gasket, they said they would have the upholstery dept. take a look? The problem has been there almost as long as I've owned the L. May 99

Old 03-27-2000, 08:04 AM
I can't believe that this a flaw in just some seats. That's the design. The seat framing is way too close to the surface on many parts of the seat.

I've got a wide *** and pretty thick across the back as well. Feel along the side bolsters. The frame is darn near the surface there as well. I'm going to attempt to look under the seat cover and see if these can't be spread a little wider before I suffer complete kidney failure!

If any body has been in there, I'd like to know your findings.

This is my only real disappointment with the L. Can't imagine a really long drive!

[This message has been edited by WHAT04 (edited 03-27-2000).]

Quick Reply: SEATS