Lightning

Gears, Who, How, Why,Where

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2000, 03:46 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gears, Who, How, Why,Where

I am currently curious about installing a set of 4:10's, but need a little info/advice.

1: Where can I get the best deal on a set of 4:10 gears?

2: Should I invest in the 23 tooth tranny gear, or should I have ford recalibrate the speedo?

3: I have never done a gear swap, but a friend said he would show me, and also work with me on this project. What exactly will I need, and does anyone have directions just in case I find myself working alone?

Old 01-30-2000, 04:50 PM
Cool

Seems that I read a post that said the best price on the 4:10 gears were from Ford(out of the Expy). Doesn't hurt to check. Seems that I also recall someone posting on how to recalibrate the speedo afterwards...Neal(The Horsepower Freak), perhaps.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,
#0975,
Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99
Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip,
PSP Filter(track untested),
Water Wetter,
Mobil 1,
Foglamp Covers,
13.573@101.08

[This message has been edited by 4D THNDR (edited 01-30-2000).]

Old 01-30-2000, 11:16 PM
Exclamation

Metallic:

Sources for gears: US Strange Engineering about $325.00 Downs about $525.00 Ford Motorsports about $250.00 Rider Racing about $175.00(richmond gear)

23 tooth speedometer gear for the tranny?? I'd like to see them put it in. There is NO speedometer gear in this transmission. It has a reluctor wheel with pick up sensor. And, no, there is no different reluctor wheels, only one. Speedometer gears were in the old trannies from long, long ago. It seems the only way to correct the speedo is from Ford using the new generation Star tester. about $100.00 I just read on the NLOC board Sal says he can only correct the shift points not the speedo with his chip.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF!!!!
Setup of the gears requires special pullers, pinion debth gauges, etc. Even with the tools, it is still a difficult job to get a correct pattern. I did mine on my own. This was not my first. Obtaining shims for the pinion are only available from Ford when you buy a factory Ford gear set. Ford does not have 4:10's for the expeditions. Ford Motorsports does--and they DO NOT come with pinion shims. Side carrier shims can be ordered seperatly at a cost of $12 a PIECE. Bottom line, you can either take it to Ford or find someone who does this for a living and knows what they are doing and they can modify the 10.25 pinion shims to fit. This is what I had to do. The 10.25's shims are available aftermarket. The 4:10's are deffinately worth the effort to do, it's just that all the little parts (shims) are not available in the aftermarket yet, and if you don't have a buddy working at Ford, you WILL NOT get these shims that you need. Good luck. Kevin

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698
N.L.O.C. Member
4:10's
Bassani kit
TransGo shift kit
AIM 2 inch drop shackle

Old 01-30-2000, 11:32 PM
I recently did a gear swap in my 93 Mustang. I went from 3.55s to 3.73s and I completed the job myself. I've been inside the rear end of my 92 Mustang a couple times and was familiar with how everything works, but I was scared to death since I was on my own this time. So far, everything is working out fine. I drove the car from Ohio to Baton Rouge a couple days after the swap.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. If you're mechanical and you have the right tools for the job, then go for it. Here's a web site with some helpful instructions
http://www.ipschassis.com/gear/ford8.htm

As far as the speedometer is concerned, the trucks use an exciter ring and sensor that is in the rear end. I don't have a clue how recalibration happens or if you even have to recalibrate it.

One more thing, I highly recommend the Motorsport gears--They are much quieter.

Trace
#513 in 94
NLOC #351

[This message has been edited by Trace (edited 01-31-2000).]

Old 02-01-2000, 12:51 AM
I went to the Ford Motorsport web site and as I interpret it apparently you can't buy Motorsport parts direct from Ford, you have to buy them from certain authorized dealers. The only such dealer listed anywhere close to me is Hawaii Racing (that's the name, I don't know why) in Simi Valley, CA. Have any of you had any dealings with this outfit and can give me a report on the quality of their work?

Old 02-05-2000, 07:15 PM
Hey Guys,
I got my 4.10 gears at a SVT dealer in Baton Rouge, LA for $199. Walked up to the counter and just ordered them, 8 days later they were in. The ford dealer here in Lafayette offered to order these for me but I just did it myself while I was in Baton Rouge.
Good Luck,
Alvin

Old 03-02-2000, 01:09 AM
Dogleg, did the Baton Rouge or Lafayette dealers recalibrate your speedometer/computer? I went to my local SVT/Ford dealer in Kenner and could buy the gears for the $199 but they said they could not recalibrate anything over the 3.7's. I am going to call SVT tomorrow to try to find out what my dealer doesn't know. Any suggestions or info would be appreciated.

Old 03-02-2000, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hey Red Chief, Sal here. You cannot recal the PCM for the gear change. It only allows the stock 3.55 setting. If you try to recal it, it will give you a warning screen and kick you out of the programming mode. The speedo can be fixed with a chip, you can E-mail me for moe details. Trust me, I've spent plenty of time on this one, just ask the guys

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Old 03-02-2000, 08:36 AM
Smile

LightningTuner

Sal
The dealer here in Houston did my gear swap (3:73) and with the Ford Rotunda rest my speedo to match the gear, it was an option in the system. No 4:10 option just the 3:73 which is available for the 99 Lightning direct from Ford.

Old 03-02-2000, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Hey Andre, Sal here. Did you verify that your speedo is correct after the "reprogram"? I work at a Ford dealer by day, and I tried it myself. It won't allow you to change gear ratios in the PCM because since there was no optional gears for the Lightning, the PCM only has one setting in it. If it were a regular F-150 PCM, when you access that part of the PCM, it would have choices since there are many optional gears you can get, and allow the change.

------------------
SAL (E-mail- PowerSurgePerf@aol.com)
13.35@103mph
All stock with PSP 99 Lightning Chip and Filter Kit

Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

Quick Reply: Gears, Who, How, Why,Where