Lightning

MTX Thunderform Install Pics.

Old 01-05-2000, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post MTX Thunderform Install Pics.

Here is what the MTX Thunderform install looks like. (2-10" Subs).

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp., Muth signal mirrors, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/tampasvt/images/Light21.jpg
1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 09:27 AM
Talking

Tampa Bay
It looks real good.I have a couple of questions for you. I can't tell from the photo but is the graining on the cabinet the same as the Ford trim and how close is the color match. Also is there any deformation in the cabinet at different sound pressure levels. One last item would you care to mention the price. I'm sure with those two tens you get a good massage.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 01-05-2000, 09:29 AM
Question

TampaBayLighting

How much did the MTX cost and who did you buy it from? And does it come in other colors?

Old 01-05-2000, 09:41 AM
BABolt:

The color match is almost perfect. Just a shade darker than the interior plastic but it's behind the seats....
There is no deformation even a excessive sound levels. This thing is solid plastic (40lbs.+).
The cost was in the neighborhood of $350.00 which included the subs..
You can get one at Circuit City or aftermarket stereo shops.

------------------
Rich
1999.5 SVT Lightning - Red. Super Chip. K&N Filter. Viper Alarm w/remote start, clear corners, tow package, cd changer, cover, MTX Thunderform w/ 2 10" MTX 200w subs. 5-channel 300w Clarion amp., Muth signal mirrors, etc. Build #2755
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 09:56 AM
Hey Tampabay
Hey TampaBay
The Thunderforms look like original equip. Good choice, I niticed that it looks like you installed the changer above the forms is this correct? Looks good but why didnt you put it under seat? I have Thunderforms on the way got them at Circuit City cost was 129.00 unloaded would rather put Subs. of my choice. Great pictures thanks for the post. Dennis

Old 01-05-2000, 10:02 AM
Dennis:

Thanks. I put a 300w 5-channel Clarion amp. under the passenger's seat (just fit). Changer won't fit in the glove box or under the driver's seat without cutting the bar. The only other option would have been mounting it to the underside of the bench seat (we didn't think of that), so I had it mounted on the back wall above the Thunderform. With the passenger's seat up, you don't see it and you can get to it while driving.

------------------
Rich
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 11:09 AM
Talking

Hey Rich,

I click on the link in your signature, and that was the best looking red lightning i have yet to see, is the the stock red, it does not look like the sane color at the other red ones. Anwaya great lookign truck

------------------
WHITE BEAST

*WHITE 99.5 LIGHTNING
*6 DISC CD-CHANGER
*CLASS 3 TOW PACKAGE
*SOFT BED COVER

Old 01-05-2000, 11:17 AM
Beast.

Thanks. Yeah, it's the stock red. The new digital camera seemed to make it look a little deeper than it is. Who knows....

------------------
Rich
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 01:14 PM
Rich
The box looks nice. Do you know the volume of the box and the depth, and also are they ported or sealed? I went to Sound advice in Orlando and the could make me a custom fiberglass enclosure with recessed area for amps , but...they wanted big dollars ( I think around 8) for the box. I wanted to use Eclipse 10's (they have a metal cone) I have used MB Quart speakers before, they sound very clean. I think you can use a round speaker with a plate of some sort insted of the 5x7. I was told you could not use the CD changer if you change head units. Any other info anyone?
Tom

Old 01-05-2000, 01:32 PM
BlueBlood.

The form itself is about 8" in depth at the base. It fits exactly between the panel on the back wall. Not sealed, so you can put other subs in if you wanted to. Sound is great as it stands, but our factory 5 x 7's may have to go. Don't know how long they'll hold up.
I've looked at replacement of the (4)5 x 7's with the Clarion SRS1352 5 1/4 Woofer & 1" Sweet SpotTM Directional Tweeter.
150 Watts Maximum Music Power

Would really only need them in the doors(will probably start there), but all four would really make it complete.

------------------
Rich
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 03:21 PM
Rich,

The MTX setup looks awesome. Thanks for sharing with us. I have a few questions? What color did you specify if there is more than one gray? Are these special order, and how long do they take to get from Circuit City? Does the MTX unit have a crossover built in as part of the package? Are you still using the Ford (Clarion) head unit, and what wiring changes were required to mate to your Clarion 5 channel amp? and were wiring changes required to reuse the factory (Clarion) CD changer? I'd like to install subwoofers similiar to yours and add more audio power as well. But I may want to buy the Thunderform box unloaded as "lightning" did and pick some other subs. In the fall I purchased 4 Pioneer 150 watt 5 X 7 Pioneer 3-ways and some Dynomat for my lightning.
See: https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000386.html and the link to audio etcetera for great prices on these.
I didn't receive them until after I put the truck in storage for the winter, so I can't further elaborate on their sound quality.
For everyone else, Audio etcetera also has great prices on 400 watt Pioneer 10" subs, about $60 each, which combined with the $129 box would bring the subs cost down $100. Rich, Thanks again for your help.

Lightning Bob

Old 01-05-2000, 05:09 PM
Banned
I bet you dont mind the caps now! THAT LOOKS AWESOME JUST LIKE FACTORY INSTAL.It looks as though ford put it there. Seems to me they should have, seeing the only one who the factory system would make deaf is tampa bay lightning,because just caps hurts his ears!!!!LOL LOL LOL .Now I get It , My caps hurts your ears because that bad *** thunderform did damage to your ears. I really do like it alot, looks great.

Old 01-05-2000, 06:00 PM
***:

THANKS! GLAD YOU LIKED IT!

YEAH, AFTER THE BOOM I'VE GOING ON NOW, YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO YELL.... LOL.

------------------
Rich
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Old 01-05-2000, 06:00 PM
We Need a group purchase... Any Ideas?

The best Price I've found so far is:
Loaded 310 + 25 S&H
Unloaded 210 + 25 S&H

Last edited by 2000Silverbulletonorder; 06-21-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2000, 06:14 PM
LightningBob:

Circuit City needs about 4-6 weeks to order one, I found one at a local stereo shop in stock. I was able to keep the factory head-unit and the amp. works fine with the CD changer. I think it comes in Charcoal also, but they have a few other colors(black & tan probably).
Even the speed-sound leveler still works like it originally did!
I had all of this done professionally so I really don't know the nitty-gritty of what it took to wire. Sorry.

------------------
Rich
TampaSVT@Tampabay.rr.com

1999.5 Expedition XLT

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MTX Thunderform Install Pics.