Lightning

radar & laser detectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-1999, 03:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question radar & laser detectors

I'm a little confused about the deal with radar detectors. Do they work or not? Several posts say that they are useless with the new police technology, another recent post says it is a must. I see advertisements which sound like they work pretty well, and detect laser as well.

So should I get one or not (I've been pulled over twice already)? And if I should get one, which is the best? Also how much do they run?

Thanks,
Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
PowerSurge Cone Filter
JBA Jet-Hot coated headers
Flowmaster muffler

Old 11-17-1999, 04:22 PM
The good ones work great, if you are in traffic and the guy in front of you gets hit b4 you. but if are alone or the lead car, laser or instant on will nail you.

Old 11-17-1999, 04:42 PM
Not all police agencies have the new technology yet. For the ones that don't, I would still recommend a radar/laser detector. If nothing else, they remind you to check your speed and notice maybe a bit before the officer that you are going too fast (a given in our trucks).

I have heard many good things about the Valentine units, but was unwilling to get up off of $300 to get one. I bought a Bel (about $200), their top of the line (the one that talks to you) and have had real good luck using it.

It has an incredible range, even over hills (I know, radar is line of sight, but there is some scatter and leakage that occurs here in the flat lands) and will usually warn me if Tx. DPS is taking pictures in time to drop to impulse power.

It also has a pretty good X band filter so that every grocery store, bank, and convienience store doesn't set it off (irritating), but can still warn of a hot signal.

Please, understand that I do not use the radar detector to break the law. I use it to remind myself that warp speed can kill, and to take it easy on the road. I try really hard to keep the fun stuff limited to the track (and Hwy 6 once in while, in front of the Chebby dealer. Hey, we all have our vices, okay?).

One last point, laser detectors are ludicrous, if the detector goes off, and it is a peace officer behind it, all it's doing is telling you to pull over, your busted.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99, NLOC #315
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 11-17-1999, 05:17 PM
PFA
I would recommend the Valentine 1, even for $400. I haven't got a ticket yet, knock on wood, and it has saved me plenty of times. It comes in handy to know where the radar is coming from and which ones are the strongest signals.

My .02 cents...

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNIN'
#0873--1 of 866--
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1
Superchip
Water Wetter
Best ET to date-13.54 @101.51MPH--10/29/99
best MPH to date-102.33

'98 Red Lincoln Continental

Old 11-17-1999, 06:04 PM
Just got my Valentine 1 and am really impressed with it. The last radar det. i had kept giving me false warnings. But sense i had Val installed no false alarms. They are more expensive but you can get them upgraded when new up grades are avaible. And they are the best one made. Mine cost 450 but i also got the remote display witch i mounted on the steering colum.

[This message has been edited by lightning (edited 11-17-1999).]

Old 11-17-1999, 06:26 PM
BRIMSTONE

Spend the money ($400) on the Valentine 1 if you decide to buy any detector. I've had many others, K-40, Uniden, and Whistler to name a few. All worked to various degrees, but the Val-1 blows them all away with it's sensitivity and ability to tell you in which direction the radar signal is coming from. It is the only unit with front and rear antenna and laser sensors. Because of these, one bad thing about the Val-1 is that it has to be positioned so that both the front and rear antenna and laser sensors can "see" out the windows. This pretty much limits positioning it in the center of the windshield below the mirror.
And as MRBBQMAN indicated, if you are alone or the lead vehicle, laser or instant on can nail you if the officer waits until you are well within his range to activate his gun. Also,you most likely will not get out of a ticket if the officer sees your detector. If you buy the valentine, also get the remote display($40), as it takes all lighting down below what is visible from a car, making the detector much less noticable if you are being followed by a police officer with his cancer causing unit turned on.

Lightning Bob

Old 11-17-1999, 11:25 PM
I've used a Val-1 for 7 years and it's saved my bacon mucho times. First class quality. Worth the premium price, in my opinion. You always know how many radar threats are out there, where they're located and their relative signal strength. Can't beat it.

I mount the unit on the far left-hand side of the passenger's sun visor. The visor mount clip is much more secure than the suction cup windshield mount and that position puts it at the top of the windshield (where reception of signal is best) and close to the middle. Excellent signal reception from front, rear and both sides. Easy reach to the controls and it leaves the driver's visor free.

I run the power wire across the passenger visor to the A-pillar molding, down inside the molding, exiting beneath the dash, through the lower part of the glove box, to the lighter plug. The wire is exactly the right length to do this. Works like a charm!

------------------
Mike Philpott
Orlando, FL
'99.5 Black Lightning
SVT #2190 - Build Date 6/9/99

6 CD Changer, Class 3 Hitch, A.R.E. LSII Lid, BedRug Liner, Invinca-Shield/3M Scotchcal protective film, Clear Lexan fog light covers, 16% Window Tint, LoJack, Val-1

Old 11-18-1999, 05:45 PM
F150SVT

I agree with you about the visor mount being much more secure than the suction cup mount.
I now leave just the mount stuck to the window and pull down the detector when parking the truck. this seems to keep me from picking the detector up off of the floor several times before I get the suction cups to stick right to the windshield again.
However, the front and rear laser sensors are much less effective when they have to look through tinted glass as in the windshield visor tint. Your 16% window tint will also substantially decrease the effectiveness of these sensors. To compound the problem, the police laser guns emit a narrow light beam with little dispersion. This beam is typically aimed lower than the visor height of our trucks(i.e. bumpers and grills of cars, etc.), so the lower you can mount the detector, the more good it will do you in regard to lasers.
If your unit is 7 years old, maybe your unit was not upgradable to laser detection, so this may not a concern of yours. Many of the Chicago suburban police departments are currently using laser guns, and my Val-1 has successfully warned me in time on several laser gunnings with traffic in front.
Just something to think about for anyone using a detector with laser detection.
Good luck to all in avoiding these guys, the money is much better spent making our trucks go faster.

More Power, More Power

Lightning Bob

Old 11-18-1999, 06:30 PM
Lightning Bob,

I agree with what you say about window tinting reducing effectivness, but the Valentine is so sensitive and its range so great that even with the tint I still get more than enough warning to adjust my speed appropriately.

My Val-1 is an early laser equipped model and, although it is upgradable by the factory to the current level of Valentine technology, I haven't taken advantage of that service due to its already more than adequate performance.

Although laser detection capability can help (and has helped me on ocassion) determine if there is a smokey around (provided the beam is scattered by climatic conditions or bounced by another target vehicle and then received by the laser detector), I also agree with others that if your vehicle is the target, you're toast. At least, however, the warning will give you an extra minute to come up with a good answer to the question, "So, in a bit of a hurry today, are you?"

Mike

Quick Reply: radar & laser detectors