Lightning

Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need some advice.

Just finished talking to the guy at dealer about my bad orange peel, raised spots of paint, and belive it or not a bubble under the gas tank. He said that apparently it wasn't in danger of flaking, and that he recommended spot painting all the areas, because if they repaint it will not be as good as the original paint. He also said that orange peel was due to the clearcoat finish. What should I do spot or repaint? I kind of think he's blowing smoke up my rear. I have about 8 or more areas all in different panels, I'm scared that if I spot paint it may start getting that dalmation look, and also that orange peel looks pretty terrible especially after I wax it. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-15-1999, 11:18 PM
Gwerks,

I would take the truck over to Paint n' Place and have Tom Snader take a look at it. He will shoot straight and tell you what, in his 30 years of experience, your options are. He will not sell you a paint job you don't need, and if you use my name, he will know you expect only the best bang for your buck that you can get.

I have realated to you before the experiences I have had with this guy, and can now relate another.

I picked up the truck this afternoon after he installed the AAD Cobra hood on it. All I can say is whoa! It really looks good. It was too dark for me to take any pics by the time I got home with it, but I will post some by tomorrow evening.

I know body shops have a bad name in general, but this guy is an absolute exception to the rule. I would strongly recommend that you try to get by and see him. He will even see you on a Saturday, if you call ahead for an appointment. I have already talked to him about your situation, so he is expecting your call.

I only live about a mile and a half from his shop, so if you called me while there, I could meet you and bring a set of the fog light covers (if you still want them).

Cya L8r,

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning Build # 1273, DOB 5-14-99
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - Delivered and at the body shop; Cal-Tracs traction bars

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 11-15-1999).]

Old 11-15-1999, 11:24 PM
Exclamation

I would look for body shop's in your area,that are known to do high quality work in detail&finish work.I have seen BAD orange peel,these guys can color sand&buff out with amazing results! Yes you will have to pay money out of your pocket,but some of these guys will make it look like show finish.

------------------
JIGAWATT SVT#2698

Old 11-16-1999, 10:38 AM
Jigawatt is correct about the orange peel. It is in the clear coat and can be removed for the most part by colorsanding and buffing. A certain amount is standard...especially on GM products!! Repaint not required to solve orange peel. I don't know about the other problems. I would take it to Wyldman's guy for a second opinion. Be sure and check out he roof gutter area. That's been an area with the most problems.

------------------
1999 Red Lightning,
Bed Rug, Soft Cover, Towing package, Super Chip, 50 Series Flowmasters, K&N filter.

Quick Reply: Need some advice.