Lightning

Performance Modifications

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-1999, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Performance Modifications

Well I have been watching this board for a few months now and have posted a few times too. I have done the performance mods(exhaust, gears, air meters /filters , chips and nitrous too) that many of you seek to do and the beauty mods too. What I have found is that in most cases there is no one item that can provide that "Kick in the Pants" that we all crave (excepting nitrous and I don't recommend it for everyone). Maybe there will be a synergy between some mods, lets hope so. What I have found is that Lightning Tuner /Sal has posted a lot of good information and much of my dyno testing will back that up. No this is not a testimonial just an observation/opinion and you know what they say about opinions. Thanks, my late night ramble.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

[This message has been edited by BABolt (edited 10-13-1999).]

Old 10-13-1999, 12:36 AM
Thumbs up

I think I have the same things done to mine, And will have to agree that the most noticable change came from the nitrous and 2nd would have to be the chip. I haven't done the exhaust yet, saving that for last. I do have a smaller pulley and didn't even get a full pound of boost from it.

Old 10-13-1999, 08:20 AM
BABolt
SVT#290
You say you put gears in? What size did you go with? How did you get your speed-o-meter to work right? Did the chip have to be programed for the gear change? And finally was it worth the money?

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 10-13-1999, 10:56 AM
Smile

SVT54SC and Billy N
I put in a 3.73 and the error can be corrected with the chip (both Superchips and Sal's). I have to agree with "BillyN" on the Chip. The good think about the chip is that it allows you make changes, you can tune for Nitrous, gear changes, meter changes and trans mods . Plus you need to stay in touch with your chip vendor (talk to the engineer who is burning the chip)these programs are changing all the time. Good luck.

Old 10-13-1999, 01:28 PM
Sorry gang, this is a long one....

Made 6 pulls on a dyno yesterday, I thought I might share some of the data.

Using Sal's chip and filter setup in the non-performance mode Beasty was making:

357.6 rwhp
401.4 ft/lbs torque

Using the performance mode:

380.6 rwhp
413.1 ft/lbs torque

using the non-performance mode and an 80 horse shot of nitrous:

423.0 rwhp
469.1 ft/lbs torque

These are all the max numbers (momentary peak output), but the top of the flat part of the curve showed the following:

Using Sal's chip and filter setup in the non-performance mode:

326.3 rwhp @ 104 mph (be-4 converter lockup)
333.4 rwhp @ 120 mph (after converter lockup)

334.5 rwhp @ 104 mph (be-4 converter lockup)
353.6 rwhp @ 120 mph (after converter lockup)

404.5 rwhp @ 104 mph (be-4 converter lockup)
398.8 rwhp @ 120 mph (after converter lockup)

These numbers are all at the top of the flat part of the curve, the 104 mph reference is set by the operator to compare the curves and are relative to the highest curve (the nitrous, of course). The 120 mph reference is provided to show converter post lockup conditions.

Peak crank hp is calculated at:

Using Sal's chip and filter setup in the non-performance mode:

408 hp at the flywheel

433 hp at the flywheel

494 hp at the flywheel

Conditions for the pulls were:

89.4 degrees F.
30.12-0.58 in. Hg.
set at 0 ft above sea-level (pretty close)
correction factor= 1.00

Don't have humidity numbers, but with the barometer over 30, humidity was close to 55%, fairly low for Houston.

Don't want to brag, but I think the numbers speak for themselves.

P.S. During the pulls, the side exit exhaust blew all of the posters and banners off of the wall next to the dyno for about 15 ft.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning
CD Changer, Tow Pkg., Lojack, Superchip, G-Tech/Pro, SnugLid, BedRug, Invinca-Shield, full kit, NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently), Clear Lexan fog light covers, 3M Ti Window Tint, Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory), PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper), American Auto Designs ram air hood - in transit, Cal-Tracks traction bars

[This message has been edited by Wyldman (edited 10-13-1999).]

Old 10-13-1999, 02:09 PM
Wyldman
The numbers look GREAT!!!

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 10-13-1999, 02:11 PM
Thumbs up

did you get your traction bars yet, sounds like your going to need them. glad you got a black one, so we don't have to bring up which color is fastest again

Old 10-13-1999, 02:13 PM
Mr. BBQMAN,

Yessir, they are in the truck right now and my mechanic has graciously allowed me some time on his lift this evening to install them.

I have a sneaky feeling you're right about needing them :-o!

I will abstain from comment on the color controversy, but we all know which is best....

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning
CD Changer, Tow Pkg., Lojack, Superchip, G-Tech/Pro, SnugLid, BedRug, Invinca-Shield, full kit, NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently), Clear Lexan fog light covers, 3M Ti Window Tint, Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory), PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper), American Auto Designs ram air hood - in transit, Cal-Tracks traction bars

Old 10-13-1999, 02:27 PM
let me (us) know how they work out & a source for them. b4 "nos" came out with a kit, i put my 100hp nitrous express dry kit on mine and it became "unstreetable" in all but 3rd gear. took it off b4 it destroyed the tires, hell, my chip gives me traction problems.

Old 10-13-1999, 02:29 PM
Got 'em direct from Calvert Racing, www.calvertracing.com. A bit pricey (around $300) , but they are well made and look like they'll get it done. Only time will tell...

The NOS kit is the standard 5115 Mustang 5.0 dry kit, they sent it to me for testing w/jets for 80, 100, 125, & 150 hp. Been too chicken to try the bigger ones yet.
------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - in transit; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 10-13-1999, 02:40 PM
Question

how do the traction bars affect street handling and cornering? How about wheel hop?
Most of my racing is autocross so I'd hate to lose cornering stability, but would love to get a better launch at the strip.

Old 10-13-1999, 10:07 PM
Nathan,

These particular parts are adjustable. They can be easily adjusted to pre-load the springs at the track, and then adjusted back to street settings, using an open end wrench.

Calvert Racing discussed this w/me at length and they managed to allay my fears on this very issue. As to wheel hop, I have never even approached wheel hop on my truck, and I don't believe that the traction bars will induce it.

Anytime I have ever driven a vehicle w/bad hop probs, they have been endemic both before and after the installation. Usually not nearly as bad afterwards, but still present.

The installation took about an hour and I can tell no difference thus far in normal road handling. The biggest pain was removing the front spring eye bushings to replace them with the aluminum/steel units provided w/the kit.

I did have one minor disappointment with the kit, I had to go to Pep Boys and buy some squared U-bolts for the axle clamps. They were not included in the kit, apparently on purpose. Why this is, I could not answer, I think they should have been included in the hardware pack.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning
CD Changer; Tow Pkg.; Lojack; Sal's custom nitrous chip; G-Tech/Pro; SnugLid; BedRug; Invinca-Shield, full kit; NOS KIT 80 hp shot (currently); Clear and smoke Lexan fog light covers; 3M Ti Window Tint; Bel radar detector (shouldn't be an accessory); PowerStack cone filter (a.k.a. supercharger waker upper); American Auto Designs ram air hood - in transit; Cal-Tracs traction bars

Old 10-14-1999, 04:31 AM
Thumbs up

Hey Wildman, Your out of control! I think that truck of yours should fly! let me know how those traction bars work out for you, I would like to hear about how they do on a mashing of the throttle from a stop

Old 10-14-1999, 03:02 PM
Wyldman=Out of control, a mathematical fact.

I will get the oportunity to test this weekend and report on the traction bars next week. I'll let everyone know how they do.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
wyldman@houston.rr.com
Black 99.5 Lightning

Old 10-15-1999, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only you, Wyldman, only you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: Performance Modifications