Lightning

New lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-1999, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New lowering kit

Hey guys check out the new Dec issue of truckin' mag on pg. 179. A company named So-Cal just came out with a Lightning lowering kit. Look extrmely impressive (especially with the rims chromed out), but is a great article about the process involved & what is needed to lower it 2.5 in front & 3.25 out back. This is what i have been looking for, I couldnt decide how much i wanted to lower it but, I think it looks great. i found it interesting that they needed to replace one of the leaf springs with another more curved one (any thoughts on this?). In the article it states that So-Cal thinks the shocks that come with the Lightning are "a quality unit designed with the coreect rebounding characteristics needed for a performance suspension." Just thought some of u might be interested (PLus i know some of u might enjoy seeing the chrome rims)

------------------
Driver of a FF Lightning
Black 99
Bone Stock
Phoenix, Az

Old 10-13-1999, 12:41 AM
Hey Yoda,

Thanks for that info. I went and got an issue right away, and I'll be meeting with Jim Sleeper at So- Cal Speed Shop in Pomona on Monday morning. Sounds like a really clean set up and Jim has been around for a long time. The price is about 1300 including installation. The set up that is in the article is good for street driving, but if you are planning to drag race it will actually make it even harder for the tires to hook up. He will be explaining the different options to me when I meet with him.

Thanks again,
Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
JBA ceramic coated headers
Flowmaster muffler

Old 10-13-1999, 01:37 PM
Exclamation

BrimStone
I'd like to hear more about the lowering and its effect on drag racing. I lowered my truck on a Wednesday went racing on a Saturday and turned the worst time ever. I could not hook,in fact I shut down about mid-track. This is the first that I have even talked about it. I have been think of a new game plan,went so far as to pull all of the performance mods off the truck and start over at square one (except for the lowering).

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 10-13-1999, 07:32 PM
You have confirmed my fears about lowering my lighning. When you lower a vehicle you raise what is called the "roll center", think of a block of wood standing on end. If you push on the top of the piece of wood then weight is transferred forward and the block of wood falls away from you. If you push quickly on the bottom of the piece of wood it transfers the weight to the back and the block falls backward, towards you. When you lower a vehicle the driveline stays where it always was, but the vehicles body is lower so that in effect you are pushing the body from a higher point relative to the driveline. When acclerating this is bad because it prevents weight from being transferred to the rear tires where it is needed. This is part of why road racers and drag racers use different suspension setups. You may have to decide which setup is more desireable for you. I am sure some of the more serious drag racers on the board can add some more insight into this matter, but thats my .02 cents.

Old 10-13-1999, 10:44 PM
I also had a horrible day at the track on Saturday. I added a power surge cone filter and expected to see improvement but tires literally could not hook up even with a lot less throttle off the line then I did my first time at the same track. I also gave up half way through the day, and went home with a layer of track stuck to the bottom of my truck. Ironically, that is what is making me consider lowering the truck.

When I talked to Jim Sleeper I explained what I do with my truck, and he said the type of lowering as described in the Truckin' article will make it even harder to hook up. He recommended that I go with a drag racing suspension, including changing to drag shocks, so he's gonna have a look and tell me his exact game plan.

He also noted that he could set up the suspension to handle like a Winston car (he can actually use many of the same parts that they use). He said he did this with one of his trucks and will pass a Ferrari on the track.

I am also planning on adding Cal-Trac traction bars or the Rancho torque bars after I get the truck lowered. I'm now realizing that the truck has to be able to make good use of the power it has (besides burning rubber and tearing track) before trying to add any more

Mike

------------------
99.5 Black Lightning
JBA ceramic coated headers
Flowmaster muffler

Quick Reply: New lowering kit