Lightning

Piston Slap- more bad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-1999, 05:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Piston Slap- more bad news

Hey guys, Sal here. As many of you know, some 99 Lightnings (as well as many other Triton truck motors) suffer from a cold start up piston slap, which goes away after a warm up. My truck was one of those. After speaking with several engineers about the problem, I was assured that the noise was caused by an improperly located wrist pin, and that it was stricktly an annoyance issue, and was not damaging or would not reduce the life of the motor. I was told that I could put a new motor in if I chose to, but was holding off because I really didn't want to put a new motor in my brand new, 2400 mile truck. Well, this weekend that annoying cold start piston slap, became a permanent piston slap. Checked it out at work today, and it seems to be the number 8 wrist pin. Guess I'll be putting that motor in after all. Just wanted to pass along the info so you guys who have this problem, can stay on top of it.

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

" TARGET=_blank>http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

</A>

Old 09-13-1999, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thnx Sal, keep us posted. I may be joining you if I ever get it to do it at the dealer . Mine stops after the temp gauge reaches normal operating temp area of the gauge, also when its in the dealers presence.

------------------
Red 99.5 Lightning,#0975,Born 5/6/99...Adopted 5/27/99 Chipped w/SuperChip Flipchip chip, Mobil 1

Old 09-14-1999, 08:18 AM
Same here with the piston slap.... Im pretty sure I didnt buy a desiel... I just got the left clunk fixed so I hope the dealer takes care of this also.

[This message has been edited by KeithN (edited 09-14-1999).]

Old 09-15-1999, 05:15 PM
Hey guys, Sal here. Well, I ordered my new motor today. Was talking with the guy at the plant and he said that they are getting alot of feedback for the piston slap problem on the Lightning motor as of late. I really wanted to see if I could keep the old motor, but they really want it back for inspection as this is the lowest milage motor they have seen so far with the problem. New motor should be here next week. Should be tons of fun to put it in.:-/ Some people lift the cab off to pull the motor out, but I don't think I'm going to do it that way. He also was telling me to make sure I hook everything back up. I asked why. He said " we had one motor where we left the EGr off and it didn't last 8 hours. Then we had another motor that we hooked the by-pass up backwards, and that motor didn't last 20 minutes!!" DOH!! I also asked if the new motor was revised in any way to solve the slap problem. He told me that they now have revised pistons that are more round than the old ones, and also have a new pin location. He said the motor they are sending me was built just last week. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on any other interesting stuff related to this. Just wanted to pass along the info.

SAL

------------------
Power Surge Performance--- Your SOURCE for SVT Lightning EFI Tuning and Performance!! <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/NLOCsvt/svt.html

</A>

Old 09-15-1999, 09:40 PM
Question

Sal, is Ford paying for the motor ????

Old 09-15-1999, 11:02 PM
Question

Hi Sal, concerning this 'revised' engine: Do you think you could obtain any info about when they started using this revised design? I would be interested (as I`m sure many others also would) in knowing if my truck has this version of the engine, or the 'older' version. Sorry you`re having this trouble, that`s a real bummer with a practically new truck...

------------------
  • 99½ Black Lightning
  • Towing Package
  • CD Changer
  • Superchip & Cone (coming soon)

Old 09-18-1999, 12:03 AM
Sal, give us an update, Please

Old 09-18-1999, 10:06 AM
Sal, Dunbarton here,

I don't own a new Lightning and don't have the piston slap in my '99 4.6, in your professional opinion, is there truly any long term consequence with "piston slap?"

While I am sure all would rather not have it and it can't be helpful to an engine I have yet to read an definitive, conclusive answer on this issue.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, Rhino Liner, Mobil 1, leaky rear slider. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 09-21-1999, 09:59 PM
Question

Hi Sal.....

I have a question for you....and I may be way off base here because I don't know the history, etc of your truck or you. I am just real interested and glad that you found out what your problem was!!! Now, when you say a wrist pin is the problem...how did you diagnose this? In order to do this, you have to do one of two things.....remove the sparkplug and run and small wire with a dial indicator to hopefully get some kind of idea as to how much play there is when the compression stroke releases or you have to literally remove the piston from the cylinder sleeve and measure the tolerances. I am curious.....how did you determine that you had a wristpin problem? I have rebuilt a whole bunch of engines and this is what I determined on another friends car because he had a real anoying rattle which was a damaged wristpin, but it didn't sound like the so called piston slap that many of us claim to have.....

Let me know either way!

thx

Paul G.

Old 09-21-1999, 10:28 PM
Hey Paul, Sal here. I was told by engineering about the pin location problem, back when I first looked into it. Since then, I have discussed the problem with several engineers and found that the problem was improper pin location on some pistons, that resulted in the piston ****ing to the side in the bore twice per revolution when cold. I think what may have happend in my motor, is a part of the skirt may have broken off. They want my motor back to pull apart since it is the lowest milage one they've seen so far with the noise becoming permanent.

SAL

------------------

</A>

Old 09-23-1999, 12:05 AM
Wink

Ah Ha! That is one nasty problem Sal! I sure hope that this can be remedied soon. I remember when I bought a used 79 Stang and it had the same problem. The actual piston broke and was rattling around in the pan. Oh well.....I wish you the best on this and hope it is fixed!!!! Keep us posted!

Paul G.

------------------
Paul G.
99.5 Red Lightning
ARE cover
"The Red Devil"

Old 09-23-1999, 10:49 PM
Hey all, Sal here. Well, I finished putting the new motor in the 99 today. It was a real pain in the butt, but I took my time and made sure every bolt went to the correct location. Came out great, started it up and no piston slap :-) It actually seems to run quieter too. Drove it home, and it seems ok, didn't really stomp it just yet. It's just nice to have the truck up and running again. The engineer from the engine plant said the new motor has revised pistons with new pin locations. I'm going to try to stay in touch with the engine plant and see if I can find out what they find when they open the old motor up. I personally think piece of the skirt broke off the piston.

SAL

------------------

</A>

Old 10-03-1999, 09:17 PM
Question

Sal,

Why did you have to put the motor in yourself? If it's under waranty then why didn't your dealer do the work?

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark W (edited 10-03-1999).]

Old 10-03-1999, 11:29 PM
Hey Mark, Sal here. The dealer did put the motor in. I work at a dealership Oh, by the way, the new motor is making noise too

SAL

Old 10-04-1999, 10:57 PM
Sal

Is this motor making the same piston slap sound or something else? I'm starting to cross my fingers whenever I fire mine up. By the way, great job installing that motor in one day.

Quick Reply: Piston Slap- more bad news