Lightning

Lowering Kit for New Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Lowering Kit for New Lightning

Just curious if any one knows if the standard F-150 lowering kits will work on the new lightning.

------------------
1999 Black Lightning - w/Super Chip, Grey Rhino, and clear front blinkers.

[This message has been edited by sixpipes (edited 08-25-1999).]

Old 08-26-1999, 08:41 AM
Cool

I know that the rears are two long, it drops the rear 2". The Lightning is already 1" lower in the rear than a stock F-150. I do not know about the front.

------------------
99 Red Lightning,
Red Premier Tonneau Cover,
Red Shadow Cowl Cover, SuperChip,
T&A Dot Slicks,
Laptop Computer at Side.
"Keepin The Faith"
<*(((><
"Only Little Boys Wear Bow Ties"

Old 08-26-1999, 10:02 AM
According to the articles I've read, the front of the '99 Lightning was lowered 1/2" and the rear 2". I don't know if the front is a suspension change or just the difference in diameter between the stock wheel/tire and the 18" SVT wheel/295ZR45-18 Goodyear F1-GS tires.

In the '99 Ford SVO parts catalog, I believe there is a '97-on F150 lowering kit. My brother took my copy last night so I can't check it.

------------------
'99 Black Lightning

Old 08-26-1999, 11:05 AM
Hi Billy Bob
OK where do you get th chrome wheels. I know where to get a quality billet aluminum grill for both radiators if you are interested.

Old 08-26-1999, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Hi Peter, I sure would like more info.
on the billet grills. Did the
installation require extensive
modifications?

Thanks.

------------------
99 Lightning, Black, CD
changer, Downey SST tonneau, Class 3 hitch,
DOB: 4-21-99
My one really cool toy..
(except my Mercury Parklane "hobby")

SVT RULES!!!!!

Old 09-12-1999, 08:25 AM
Cool

Good Morning Six Pipes! I just got back in town and saw your post. The rear drop just involves the rear hangers so I don't think that would be a big problem but the front geometry might be another problem! When I changed my front suspension height with my Ground Force 2x4 drop, I had to have an upper control arm cam kit installed to bring my alignment back into specs. The Alignment was brought back close to specs but is not where it should be. The Truck handles beautifully with no tire ware so I am very happy with the mod and it gives the Truck an aggressive look. It is also much easier for an Old Guy like you to slide into! Keep me posted!

------------------
98 STX,Ground Force 2-4 drop,Astro lid, Bed Rug,Cobra Stripes,JBA's, Magna Flow Duals, Super Chip, K&N, 4.6 Triton

Old 09-12-1999, 11:24 PM
Flatsman - I'm thinking maybe I should contact Bell Tech or some other aftermarket manufacturer, but I suspect that the truck is just too new for a specific "Lightning Kit" to be out yet. When I put my Valkyrie in the back, it sets just about right (maybe a 2" drop) Unfortunately, if I really get on it, I would run the risk of expelling my bike out the back - not cool. You owe me some updated pictures of your truck I believe.

Old 09-13-1999, 07:06 PM
I just got the pictures back yesterday showing the new air dam and fog lights. The beat goes on! Today I ordered a Fiero Air foil to mount on the Euro Lid so it looks like I have to take some more pictures now! It should be in next week then I need to take it to the paint shop. When will we ever grow up? I hope NEVER! That would be an ugly sight to see that big bike coming out of the back of your truck. I still can,t believe that thing fit back there! The pictures will be on their way tomorrow.

------------------
98 STX,Ground Force 2-4 drop,Astro lid, Bed Rug,Cobra Stripes,JBA's, Magna Flow Duals, Super Chip, K&N, 4.6 Triton

Old 09-13-1999, 08:50 PM
Talking

SIXPIPES
I have a freind with a 99'Lightning and he wanted it lower. He had the ford dealer install the new Jack Roush lowering kit for the F-150 and it looks great and has maintaind the ride and handling.

Old 09-17-1999, 10:44 AM
Just lowered my Lightning yesterday. It was done at Roush Industries. It was in by 9 and out before 5. Boy does it handle good (I mean really good). I know that I may be speaking heresy when I say this but I hated the way my Lightning handled before. I have photos and will post to my web page later.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 09-17-1999, 11:04 AM
Babolt

What was the cost of lowering your truck, and how much lower is it? What do they end up replacing, and did you keep your original parts?

Lightning Bob

Old 09-17-1999, 01:22 PM
It was $750.00 installed and it brought the front down another 1.5 inches and the back 2 inches. I have full pictures of before and after and photos of the installed springs too.I have all of my old parts and they were all wrapped up and boxed. Everything was very neat and the work was high quality. I can e-mail photos if interested and will post to my web site this weekend.

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 09-17-1999, 01:38 PM
BABOLT

What in the way of parts were replaced,
such as spings,shocks,sway bars?

Old 09-17-1999, 01:56 PM
Bob & ****
I only had the springs replaced. I did not want to replace the shocks since I was very happy with them. They also did a front end alignment. Next step is to add red Energy Suspension bushing to the sway bar next week when I get my chrome Lightning wheels back.My web page is http://mikesmotorsport.virtualave.net

------------------
BABolt
SVT#290

Old 09-17-1999, 08:18 PM
BABolt,
I would love to see a pic of your chrome wheels. I have been wanting to do mine even before I picked it up from the dealer. And get details on the process, did you chrome the center caps, how durable did they say they will be. I hear that chrome would not stick to well to plastic. Email me some pics if you would, also I'd like to ask you a few other questions.
TTillman@EPROD.com
Tt

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Quick Reply: Lowering Kit for New Lightning