Lightning

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-1999, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice needed

Well I finally took delivery of my Lightning, and I have a few questions on keeping the black finish in top shape. This is not my first black vehicle, and today I realized that I really do not know how to keep it clean, without getting fine scratches (spider web) etc. On my Cobra, regardless what I use to wash it, and dry it off (i.e sponges, wool mits, chamois, terry cloth towels) I always end up with poor results, and having to make appointments to get my vehicles rubbed out. So now I want to nip this problem in the bud with the Lightning. Any suggestions, tips, or tricks are greatly apprieciated.

------------------
Jim
96 Black Cobra,
K&N,OffRoad H-Pipe
NitrousExpress 150 shot
1999.5 Black Lightning
No Mods yet

Old 08-25-1999, 03:37 AM
PFA
Smile

NXCobra,
Congrats on getting your Lightning.
It sounds like that Zaino polish/wax would be the way to go, especially starting off fresh without the swirls and scratches. It sounds like it might be a long process but WELL worth it.

------------------
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
PFA
'99 WHITE LIGHTNING
RHINO, Soft cover
LoJack
Valentine 1
Mobil 1

[This message has been edited by PFA (edited 03-25-2001).]

Old 08-25-1999, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear NXCobra,

First stop drying them off by hand. This causes friction and scratches if it's not done inside, and always perfectly, more or less. Run down the road and let the wind blow the vast majority of the water away. I used to do all this by hand, and have custom paint jobs that looked a foot deep, and I was *always* having to have them buffed out too.

Use Meguiar's products for both the car wash solution and their waxes, they have excellent clear-coat products. Zymol is even better, some say, everybody has their favorites.

Also, don't use high-pressure spray on your paint, that's another thing that promotes surface scratching.

I don't use bra's, either, they cause more damage than they could ever prevent.

And keep it in the garage, if you have one.

You may well already be aware of all of this, I don't know. I hope it helps a little!

And congrats on your new Lightning!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 08-28-1999, 02:23 AM
I have been using Zaino for the last year on my Z28 and all that I can say is that the results are breathtaking. The stuff is easy to use and the clarity and gloss gets better with each coat. Also.....the protection offered by the polish is very durable. I usually use Meguire's soft was Gel car was to wash down my vehicles. It works well. As the poster above me suggested, drying can cause scratches. When I absolutely have to do this, I use either a 100% cotton towel or a synthetic type chamois called the Absorber. IT works very well and is soft on the finish. Buy removing the nozzle on your hose, reducing the water pressure and letting the water run slowly off of the truck from the top to the bottom, you can eliminate a lot of water this way. It tends to bead or sheet off of the truck thus reducing drying time.
Also....Meguire's Tire Gel works amazing on the big meats on our trucks!!!!

Paul G.

Quick Reply: Advice needed