Lightning

Electeric fans for the lower radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-1999, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are concerned about heat at idle then maybe it would help. I wouldn`t think it would be significant since the bosst will be at a minimum. Whenever you compress air you increase the temperature. You`ll be moving pretty good when the boost spools up and airflow pass the intercooler should be effective. Have you noticed if idle temperature is significantly higher than say cruise temps? Maybe you could mount a couple small pull through type fans but My feeling is it wouldn`t be worth it. Add some redline water wetter and you may accomplish the same thing. Just my opinion.I own two turbocharged cars and one is intercooled (air to air) one is not. The intercooled one has better and more consistent power, both are the same model , make and year. Maybe a higher volume circulation pump on the intercooler could be an option. Ford prolly did a good job on efficient capacity. If you up the boost with the chip maybe more cooling would help. I read something Redline put out a few years back saying that water and Redline water wetter provided better heat dissipation than glycol\ambitrol based coolants. Might be worth checking out.

Jeff

Old 07-31-1999, 02:43 PM
Jeff,

I agree with you on both the intercooler and WaterWetter.

I owned a stock Syclone for 6 years. As you know, the Sy's are turboed and had an air to water intercooler. The intercooler radiator was located in front and below the main radiator, did not have a fan, and never overheated.

I think our '99 Lightning's will be OK.

Mike Philpott

Old 07-31-1999, 05:35 PM
I am not really seeing any overheating problems, even sitting in traffic on the freeway waiting for Gran'ma Gertie to make up her mind which way to go.

I am really thinking that cooler air in the intake might boost performance a bit, and the intercooler is the obvious choice to attempt that. Water Wetter has been ordered (no distributers I can find in Houston) and will be applied.

My concerns for tranny life involve keeping the ATF as cool as possible, because this beast beats the tar out of the tranny at WOT and this is just a really bad environment to be operating in. Kind of like running in the desert, but a whole lot wetter {grin}.

Overall, I have been amazed at the way this vehicle keeps it's cool (literally). I have seen my T-bird gyrate all over the scale in the same conditions and the truck just seems to ignore the heat (w/ a/c running cold), and go on it's merry way(rather quickly) when the traffic finally breaks open.

Transmissions take a pounding in this town and I am really just trying to avoid costly repairs down the road.

Thanks for the input, I believe I will re-think this idea and see if I'm just reaching for things I don't need.

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
Black 99.5 Lightning Superchip is here! Waiting for Level 10 tranny kit!

Old 07-31-1999, 06:38 PM
Yeah!! The tranny is taking a beating, but what about the rear end I thought I heard bit of slack in mine already. Maybe a real 9" case will be developed then we can have 2 different gear sets to play with.

------------------
1999 Black Lightning SVT all options, (Factory soft tonneau cover, 6 Disc CD, Class III towing hitch), Loyd one piece floormat (Fits well, looks good), Tail light covers (Killer painted black to match), Black spray in bed liner (looks very good), Windows tinted gray 15% on doors, Dark Limo on back glass, Ordered 1st truck 1/21/99 till salesman told me a $5000 premium would be added, On the same day ordered second truck 2/24/99 (BEFORE getting my check back), Took delivery 6/21/99 After MANY many MANY promised ETA dates, Build date of 5/20/99

Old 08-01-1999, 12:39 AM
Question Electeric fans for the lower radiators?

Does anyone know if fans for the lower radiators exist? If so, are they a help or not worth the time and expense?

The air and temps down here are awful and I'd like to maximize my cooling capacity to protect the tranny and cool the SC air charge further (sorry, not a N2O believer, too dangerous with a kid in the house). Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
Chuck 'Wyldman' Shelton
Black 99.5 Lightning Superchip is here! Waiting for Level 10 tranny kit!

Quick Reply: Electeric fans for the lower radiators?