Lightning

Icee Chiller Data

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Icee Chiller Data

I purchased a used ICEE Chiller System and installed it on my L. For those that are interested here is what I have to share so far.

The install was fairly tough but if I can do it anyone can. I went one step further and installed a bypass to completely bypass the heat exchanger so the coolant can be chilled as much as possible. With the exchanger bypassed, I did a WOT blast up to about 120 then measured the coolant temp inside of the coolant reservoir. I used an A/C vent temp probe and the coolant was 54 degrees. It was about 2:00 p.m. and the ambient temp was 94 degrees and about 76% humidity.

I went to SAR one evening and about 30 miles from the track I turned off the A/C and let the heat exchanger go solo.

When I arrived at the track, the temp was approx 87 degrees with humidity at about 80%. The track prep was the worst I had ever seen it. As soon as I got there, I teched and got in line. Left the truck off and only started it to move up in line. My mods at that time were FTVB, PSP FastAir and Magnaflow mufflers.

I made the first 2 passes back to back without the chiller system to see if I could back up the first run and both were 14.43.

First pass without chiller

Second pass without chiller

Continued on next post.......

Old 11-13-2004, 08:22 PM

On the next two passes I used the chiller system. On the third pass I let the chiller run through the heat exchanger and on the fourth run I bypassed the heat exchanger and allowed the coolant to run through the chiller box only. About 4 cars back I turned off the A/C and the truck so condensate wouldn't drip on the track. I kept the hood up and checked the coolant right before I ran to make sure it was still cool. When I checked the coolant temp right before my thrid pass, the coolant was very cool and right before the fourth run the coolant was ice cold.

Third pass with chiller system running through heat exchanger

Fourth pass with chiller and heat exchanger bypassed

The next morning I took it to the Dyno and Red 92 met me there. It was a friggin joke. It was hot, humid and raining heavily. After I drove two and a half hours in the rain they tell me that they can't print out my Dyno results because the printer is broken so I asked to have the results emailed to me and they can't do that either.

I decided to go ahead and Dyno since I drove all that way. When I go back in the Dyno shop, the rain is blowing in on the Dyno wheels. That was very interesting watching them Dyno on wet wheels. The guy thought he ripped the rear end out of my truck but there wasn't any damage it just sounded bad. The Dyno results were supposed to be mailed but I have yet to see them. I don't remember what the Dyno numbers were but I didn't believe them anyway since the Dyno wheels were wet. Looks like it's time to find another Dyno shop.

After the Dyno debacle, Clay (Red 92) and I went to his house and removed the blower and cleaned the IC. I am sure some of you remember those pics. Clay worked some magic so there will be no more oil in the IC galley and we put on a 4lber. Clay made me a hell of a deal on a programmer and he installed the program. Even with the 4lber the coolant stays very cold especially when I bypass the heat exchanger.

There are some downsides to the chiller system that I noted. First I did notice that my A/C cooling in the cab suffers a little but it's nothing I can't live with and when you install the sytem, you have to bend your horns up so the horns sound sick when you have to honk at someone. But IMHO the pros far outweigh the cons and the chiller works great. I'm extremely happy with it so needless to say it's staying right where it is. I think the chiller will really shine when I start pushing more boost. Some of the fellas that were at the track can confirm that the coolant stays very cold. I will try to answer any questions you have and I will post picks in a bit. I also have a "How To Installation" that I wrote up but I don't have a clue how to post a PDF file.

I have learned so much from this board and there is still so much more to learn. It feels good to actually contribute something back or at least try.

Last edited by Txoutlaw; 11-14-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Do you have any pictures of the install? I would like to see them! Thanks for all the data, 2/10's gain in basically summer time air/humidity is really good!
Sincerely,
Bryan

Old 11-13-2004, 08:37 PM

Chiller box piped up and ready to be mounted

Pre-fitting bracket

Chiller box finally mounted

Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 PM

Another pic of the box mounted.

Insulating blanket for IC coolant reservoir.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:44 PM

Few pics of my southern engineering to bypass the heat exchanger.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 PM
stuck my finger into his intercooler coolant lastnight at the track, it felt colder than the Pepsi I was drinking!

Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 PM

Few more pics of my southern engineering.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:49 PM

Couple more:

Old 11-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Gotta love southern engineering!
Bryan

Old 11-13-2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by bglanden
Gotta love southern engineering!
Bryan
Absolutely

Old 11-13-2004, 10:10 PM
Any times with the 4lber yet?

Old 11-14-2004, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by 2000L
Any times with the 4lber yet?
I ran a 12.99 @ 105.98 mph with a 2.02 60' last night on my F1's. Looks like it's time for a DS loop, slicks and traction bars. I'm not sure what my times will be with slicks but I'm hoping for 12.7's.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:46 AM
I'll go as far as to say possibly 12.5 12.6 if you can get that 60ft low enough. I would also be willing to be that ICEE chiller will shine more the harder you spin that eaton with your temps that low. I bet and 8lb ring would be optimal with that chiller. The question is are you willing to push your stock block to that limit?

Good info keep us posted

Old 11-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Dammm Todd, thats a nice camera and nice pics.

goood write up, that chiller dose make significant HP (as I have seen first hand)......14's to 12's in 3 weeks

Quick Reply: Icee Chiller Data