Lightning

Just ran with an SRT10!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just ran with an SRT10!

I live in Sugar Land, TX . . . more or less Houston. I was sitting outside a restaurant, and saw a new Dodge SRT10 truck drive by on the highway. I was going crazy. I never thought I was going to see one so soon. I jumped in my truck and chased it down. I got beside him and road next to him for about 10 minutes. The guy wouldnt even look over at me. I guess he thought i was a waste of his time. On a side note, the truck really does look awesome in person. It sounds great too. I just dont like the dual tailpipes on one side. Truck is badass though! Anyway, we roll through a light, and im jumping mine, trying to see if he will take off. He never even looks over. I see him drop it in gear, he gives it a little gas, and switches in front of me and takes off. I nail it too. He pulls on me to about 60, from 45, but only about 30 ft in front of me, then we stayed that far apart all the way up to 125 where we both let off. I couldn't believe i hung with him like that. Now that he saw i was competition, he wanted to talk. He gave me a thumbs up and rolled his window down. I asked him if he had taken it to the track yet, and he said only one time, ran a 13.5! Thats what i run consistantly. I was really surprised. I am sure it can do better, but i still feel really good about the run with a viper truck. I cant wait to see him on the road again after my pulley, chip, and lt's are installed, im only a week away. Well just thought i would let you guys here my experience. I dont normally run on the street, but i couldnt pass this oportunity up with all the controversy there is on this truck. I would have liked to run him from a dead stop but he had somewhere to go, and i was already way out of the way of where i was going. We shall meet again im sure!

Old 01-19-2004, 04:31 PM
Talking

good show,, but i think you were supposed to get embarrassed, or something. doesn't your truck know he had 500 Viper hp

Old 01-19-2004, 04:33 PM
nice!!!

im waiting for them around here, but havent seen one in person yet...

Old 01-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just remember, he might have a chip and longtubes next time too

But atleast someone here has run one. Now he's probably back at the dealership wanting to know how come that lowly 380 hp truck ran with his mighty 500 ponies

Old 01-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Haha let him get his chip and long tubes. We will need the competition! It really was a nice truck though.

Old 01-19-2004, 04:54 PM
OK for now on it should be a rule that all lightning owners have video cameras in their truck at all times!

Nice, Very Nice

Old 01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Hey 01svtL,

Sounds like you had a great time! And you had a good run too. Was your truck bone stock, or did you have minor mods when you ran the SRT? My 01 L is bone stock, and I'm sure I'm gonna be seeing SRT's in the San Antonio area soon. I see lots of short bed reg cab HEMIs around here, but no one has wanted to run me yet. I've had a Dakota R/T stay close behind me from 70 to 110, but I made a mistake of starting a run at highway speeds. If I started at 45 mph, and it downshifted to second gear, I probably would've pulled on him more.

Tell us if you race him again, especially from a standing start.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:55 PM
Good showing indeed 01

Good to know they're a good race with the Lightning
on the Road. That should make it even more interesting on
the track and when they start moding them.
Sounds like he got the jump on you and then it was neck and neck, can't ask for much more than that, especially if your running without a pulley and chip

BTW
I agree on the Vid in the L sugestion

Old 01-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Nice job 01. Why the he!! did he pull in front of you before hitting it? Maybe he was scared that you'd pull him if he stayed side by side. This is what he'll see next time

Old 01-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Cool run. I wonder if thats "9 Seconds" from the SRT forum? He has a Ram SRT 10 as well as a 9 second viper. He posted on the SRT forum about running a best of 13.5 when he went to the track. I think he is from Texas too.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm not completely stock, but i ran the 13.5 with a 2# upper and magnaflow mufflers. Thats about it.
ZX12, I go to school at UTSA so I will be on the lookout in the SA area as well. I really want to see this guy again and run him from a stop.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 PM
If it was Red it probably was 9 seconds, He is from around Houston. Seems like a real neat guy, down to earth & respects the L. & it's potential, 01 you luky Dog you got to run one first and did well, If it was 9seconds you at least got to run a good guy not an a$$. It sounded like his clutch was'nt to happy at the strip, so he prob. didn't want to jump into a race first thing on the street.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I went over and 9 Seconds posted a reply to the others in the forum at www.srt10forum.com about the race with 01SVTL. 9 seconds also posted his dyno pull. The best was 447.5 hp / 476.9 tq. He plans on modding it for better numbers. It should be a fun summer.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Toe
9 seconds post

I remember it a little differently. I'm on HWY 6 and traffic is fairly heavy. In my rear view I see this silver ford weaving through traffic to catch up with me. Finally he does and he gets in a couple of Mustang lurches before getting shuffled back in traffic. As we are leaving city limits the traffic lightens up and he's back next to me. Knowing it's inevitable I look over, smile and give a hand gesture (not that one). It turns out the guy in the silver ford is a really decent enough looking kid in a Lightning. He looks like he'd like to see how the SRT runs so when I can, I change lanes to go around the last car for a stretch and run it through a couple of gears. When he sees what's up, he comes along too. Soon we're back into traffic. I looked over, gestured and see him wanting me to role down my window. That's when he asked if I had been to the track. Not a big deal.

Old 01-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I bet the adrenaline was flowing and the heart was thumpin big time! There is one here to. I hope we get a chance to make a run or 2.

Quick Reply: Just ran with an SRT10!