Lightning

Crankshaft state of emergency is over

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Crankshaft state of emergency is over

Ok everyone, put down the lawyer phone numbers, and take a deep breath.

I have been doing some investigating into the crank issue, not because I broke mine, but because a lot of people were getting really bent out of shape over it.

Now, for those who don't know the whole story, back in 01, Ford came out with a new part number for the Lightning/Triton 5.4 crank. This new part number was a SERVICE REPLACEMENT part, and the previous crank part number was superceeded it by it. For almost a year, you could not get the early cranks because they were replaced by this new one. The early cranks were about $330 and this new 01 crank was about $200. Not really a big enough deal to raise any eyebrows. Now, another year later, and other vendors are now building motors, as well as customers doing their own. Now there is another crank, with the early part number, and it's about $600. But the $200 one still exsists.

Fast forward to present day. I broke a crank, it's the $200 one, and people are speculating that because it's an 01 part number, that it's used in the 01 up trucks (myself included). So to check into this, I logged onto Ford tonight, and pulled up the Vehicle Bill of Materials for several 01-03 trucks. This report shows all parts used when a Ford vehicle is built. All the VINs I checked, show the F7 forged crank used, NOT the new 01 part number.

So I think we've solved this mystery, and everyone can sleep easy tonight.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats good. My engine is apart right now being rebuilt and I just emailed the builder and told him to make sure the crank is forged before putting it back together.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:43 AM
well

hurry up buy one, install it and be the first into the 9's...

BTW: I still don't like Ford customer service.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Sal do you still need a crank?

Old 07-19-2003, 12:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ayrton
Sal do you still need a crank?
Sure, I'll take you up on your offer. Thanks a million!!

Old 07-19-2003, 12:56 AM
Sal e-mail me some shipping info…

Ayrton252001@yahoo.com

Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Jim: I thought you already had a built motor???

Old 07-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by CHIKIN1
Jim: I thought you already had a built motor???
I did. I am just inside to add some new cams and trying a quieter piston. Also having the intake port matched to the previously ported heads.

Old 07-19-2003, 10:35 AM
That's what I was saying yesterday.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Re: Crankshaft state of emergency is over

Originally posted by LightningTuner
Ok everyone, put down the lawyer phone numbers, and take a deep breath.

I have been doing some investigating into the crank issue, not because I broke mine, but because a lot of people were getting really bent out of shape over it.

Now, for those who don't know the whole story, back in 01, Ford came out with a new part number for the Lightning/Triton 5.4 crank. This new part number was a SERVICE REPLACEMENT part, and the previous crank part number was superceeded it by it. For almost a year, you could not get the early cranks because they were replaced by this new one. The early cranks were about $330 and this new 01 crank was about $200. Not really a big enough deal to raise any eyebrows. Now, another year later, and other vendors are now building motors, as well as customers doing their own. Now there is another crank, with the early part number, and it's about $600. But the $200 one still exsists.

Fast forward to present day. I broke a crank, it's the $200 one, and people are speculating that because it's an 01 part number, that it's used in the 01 up trucks (myself included). So to check into this, I logged onto Ford tonight, and pulled up the Vehicle Bill of Materials for several 01-03 trucks. This report shows all parts used when a Ford vehicle is built. All the VINs I checked, show the F7 forged crank used, NOT the new 01 part number.

Thanks for the update and all your research Sal !!

I never really did get worked up about it, and managed to even restrain myself from making one post on that thread.

My personal beliefs are that if there were cast cranks in these Lightnings, and with all the added boost + NOS that most are throwing at them.........that somewhere North of 600hp. they would give up the ghost. If this were not close to the truth......everyone with any kind of engine would be running alot of hp. and tq. with cheap cast crankshafts.

Old 07-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Re: Crankshaft state of emergency is over

Originally posted by LightningTuner

I'm afraid that it doesn't solve it for me. I can't check by VIN# because the '01 motor in my truck is not the one that came in it. It was replaced by the dealer. Am I safe in assuming that since the whole motor was replaced, and not just the crank, that I got a good crank? How would I be able to tell?

Old 07-19-2003, 04:14 PM
If the crank is out of the engine, then about in the center of the crank is the casting number...

Look for something that starts with F75Z...

Old 07-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Im kinda confused, so all the cranks are exactly the same, but they are using different part numbers and prices to counteract the whole supply vs demand thing correct?

Nother question, so did for EVER make a cast crank for the 5.4?

Old 07-19-2003, 10:28 PM

Good Job Sal

Old 07-19-2003, 10:28 PM

Good Job Sal

Quick Reply: Crankshaft state of emergency is over