cel po442?????

Old 05-12-2003, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cel po442?????

I had my cel come on the other day. so i went to NAPA and they ckeck it out for FREE and the computer said that is was a small leak in emmisions system PO442. should i just reset the computer. what does this tell me and what should i do.

Old 05-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
btf150,

Sound like it could be the gas cap, or a line to the canister.

You would need a service manual to try to find all the lines to the canister.

This is what the Ford Service manual gives as a reason.
DTC
P0442 - EVAP Control System Leak Detected (Small Leak)

Description
The PCM monitors the complete EVAP control system for presence of a small fuel vapor leak. The system failure occurs when a fuel vapor leak from an opening as small as 1.016 mm (0.04 inch) is detected by the EVAP running loss monitor test.

Possible Causes
- After-market EVAP hardware (such as fuel filler cap) non-conforming to required specifications
- Small holes or cuts in fuel vapor hoses /tubes
- Canister vent solenoid stays partially open on closed command
- Damaged, cross -threaded or loosely installed fuel filler cap
- Loose fuel vapor hose/tube connections to EVAP system components
- EVAP system component seals leaking (EVAP canister purge valve, fuel tank pressure sensor, canister vent solenoid, fuel vapor control valve tube assembly or fuel vapor vent valve assembly)

Diagnostic Aides
none given

Sorry that is the generic listing from Ford, and a search on P044* does not yeild too much useful info either...? Some suggestions on the ohm value of the canister vent solenoid, as far as I read on the 17 threads on the topic.

Looks like you got a cap to tet ( EPA test center should be able to do this for you for free if you ask nicely and have one ) and some lines to check for cracks in as well.

Sorry it is not much help, not much on this topic, and I had never read a thread on it until now.

Good luck, post back with the soultion for the next memeber to read up on ( and edit the title to seperate the ?? from the P0442, this thread does not show up on a search on P044* ).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cel po442?????