Pre-1997 Models

Steve83 My motor mount is broken.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steve83 My motor mount is broken.

Steve,
I read a post that mentioned a fluid that leaked from a torn motor mount.
Is there an oily fluid inside them?
My '92 4.9 motor mount is definately torn on the passenger side.
The engine lifts while in reverse with the brake on.
Any tricks to getting them in/out.

Moonen

Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Hydraulic vs. solid rubber?

I found that some are hydraulic.

What are the pros/cons of Hydraulic vs. solid rubber ?

Moonen

Old 10-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I was searching on this a couple days ago (I think I have to change at least one of mine). I think steve has already posted something on mounts, because I know I looked at some diagrams and they are usually posted by him. You might try clicking on his signature, there are links to a lot of his stuff - he also has posted on FSB forum a lot too.

Although I have never done it, I believe the basic procedure is to support the engine with a jack/block of wood (not under the oil pan), remove bolts from the mount, raise engine just enough to slide out the mount, insert new mount, insert/start re-threading the bolts (get them lined up), lower motor, torque bolts.

I googled the topic and found a few other write ups with mediocre pics - that also explained similar procedures.

Please post up if you change yours - I'd like to hear how it goes and get some tips from you if you learn anything.

Good luck.

PS: I believe the stock mounts are rubber --- haven't heard anything about them 'leaking' anything.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Moonen, I'm sorry but putting a certain person's name in the title is pretty immature. If you have a direct question for somebody you should send them a private message. None the less... there are PLENTY of very experienced people on here that have done the exact same things to their truck that you have and would be very helpful. Although Steve is one of the more knowledgeable members, you should not direct a question to somebody via the forum. Many people here are more than capable of helping you. Just a thought next time.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
buzz is right. Don't call someone out in a thread title. It says 2 things:

1) you expect the named person to take care of your problem, as if it's his fault/responsibility/duty.

2) all the other members & their experiences/opinions are useless.

But don't PM or e-mail me technical questions. I only answer them here on the open forums. If I handled them privately, I'd be swamped, and I'd be answering the same questions over & over, and there would be no purpose to the open forums. So if it CAN be posted here (or another forum), first SEARCH to see if it has already been answered (and this question HAS), and if you need more info, then post it and wait for a reply. If you want my input, give me a couple of days to find it on my own, and then e-mail me the LINK to the thread with a brief description of the topic. But I'll reply IN the thread; not by e-mail.

If you want to increase your chances of me reading & replying to your thread, make the subject something accurate & descriptive, and phrase it in a way that demonstrates that you've already begun to research it. For instance: "Help me" will NOT get me to even click on it. I barely even notice those. "Motor mounts" is accurate, but not descriptive. "I6 engine mounts" is slightly better, but that topic has been beaten to death. "4.9L hydro mounts better than solid?" suggests that you've researched your problem at LEAST enough to know that there are differences.

Words in a thread title that make me avoid it:

need
help
another
dumb
stupid
quick
question
searched
woes
car
[severe or obvious misspellings]
[any username, especially mine]

And don't feel like you have to start a new thread just because it's been a while. They're called "threads" because they wander all over a topic, like a pile of thread. If you read one that's VERY close to yours, and its subject describes your problem, post to the old thread. It makes referencing older info easy for you, and for anyone replying to you.

This is funny, but it's also good advice.
http://projectboil.pixel10.co.uk/posting/Posting.html

This isn't funny, but it's even better advice:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19566

Last edited by Steve83; 04-26-2008 at 12:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steve83 My motor mount is broken.