Upgraded Factory CD Changer/FM to Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded Factory CD Changer/FM to Sirius

Wanted to let folks who are considering upgrading to Satellite radio, that it can be done in a manner that looks professional and is (relatively) inexpensive.

I have a 2005 STX with a factory 6-CD changer. After screwing around with a Sirius/XM "Snap" add on tuner, I found that it's interface to the factory radio (a 3.5 mm single pin) will only work with 2007 and later models that have an "Aux In" port on top of the dash. It would have required some modifications to the wiring (including splicing) to use that radio.

So, I looked on several car audio forums and the suggested solution involved a Sirius SC-C1 tuner, an iSimple iSFD571 "Gateway" and harness and an iSimple iSSR11 interface cable.

After calling Sirius and complaining that their SNAP radio was not compatible with my 2005 (despite their claim of "easy" installation), the Sirius folks sent me the SC-C1 tuner for FREE. That saved me 55 bucks and they didn't want my "Snap!" receiver back. Told me to keep it and use it in something else if I wanted.

I bought the iSFD571 through Amazon for about 90 bucks. And the cable was also purchased through Amazon for about 30 bucks. So the total investment was about $120.

In order to remove the factory radio and hide the tuner and gateway, you have to pull the dash fascia off. I suggest those plastic trim removal levers for that. It is a little tricky, but they do come off fairly easily, once you figure out where the fasteners are. Replacing the fascia also takes patience as the spring steel fasteners in the dash don't always line up exactly with the plastic tabs on the fascia.

The installation itself was a matter of minutes, unplugging the factory radio, plugging in the iSimple cable, hanging the "Gateway" behind the radio and doing the same with the tuner. Everything was high quality and direct plug in to the factory stuff.

The antenna was mounted on the roof -- just forward of the center-mounted brake and bed lamp. I ran the wire into the cab, under the headliner and along the door opening threshold up to the dashboard and to the SC-C1 tuner. You cannot see anything.

I did have a bit of brain damage at one point in the installation, as I followed iSimple's instructions to the letter and could only receive Sirius/XM's "preview" station, channel 184. After spending about 2 hours on the phone with iSimple's tech folks, we found that despite the instructions to turn on only 1 of the DIP switches on their gateway, it really required 2 of the switches be moved to the on position.

As soon as we figured that out, the radio began receiving 200 channels -- just like the factory satellite radios on our 2 other cars.

The beauty of the Gateway solution is that there is no splicing required and it can support iPOD, blue tooth, and HD Radio inputs as well as satellite. It uses the factory controls to control all satellite functionality, just like the Ford radios that have an integrated satellite radio.

I'm a happy guy.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrgem
Wanted to let folks who are considering upgrading to Satellite radio, that it can be done in a manner that looks professional and is (relatively) inexpensive.

I have a 2005 STX with a factory 6-CD changer. After screwing around with a Sirius/XM "Snap" add on tuner, I found that it's interface to the factory radio (a 3.5 mm single pin) will only work with 2007 and later models that have an "Aux In" port on top of the dash. It would have required some modifications to the wiring (including splicing) to use that radio.

Really? I just sprang for XM after the trial ran out last week. Went for the year-long deal for about $120 altogether. I was offered a free XM-ready system, but I know an '08 radio won't fit in my '03, so I passed on that.

What I do find is that SNAP! is $9.99 with a subscription and the page on the website gives me an "or" option to get XM for the '03.

"*XM Snap requires an FM Radio or Aux In capability. Use the included Aux In Cable if your vehicle has Aux In capability for best performance. Will also work with cassette adapter (sold separately)."

Surprised you have to scrap that idea entirely.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Factory CD Changer/FM to Sirius