Adding Sat Radio Tuner 2011 F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Sat Radio Tuner 2011 F150

FYI. Adding Sat Tuner to 2011 Factory Radio. Have been investigating this on line and talked to several Ford Dealers and Stereo Shops.

First discovered I Simple makes a unit that may work but the presets will change and you will not have 10 per band but 6 presets. The problem I learned is that aftermarket equipment is not always 100% compatible with Ford Equipment. Ford will change equipment and aftermarket guys have to reverse engineer to make their equipment work. It is now electronic communication between components. Radio, SYNC and Sat tuner. You may have to continually reboot the system to make it function. I think this has worked for some. I did not want to gamble on his option.

This option, I found runs $400 to $420 installed.

Several stereo shop warned against this aftermarket installation saying that they have done it and had some complaints.

Several Ford dealers said this type installation was not possible on a truck like mine that has the Sat button but no tuner and antenna.

A large Dealership outside of Atlanta said I needed to talk to their sales dept.
I did and they referred me to a local mobile installer. This guy has been installing Ford equipment for 10 years for this large dealer.
Also, first call to the service adviser at this dealership he advised that this could not be done.

This guy informed me about a Factory Ford Tuner that he uses that is identical in every respect to the OEM unit operation. $429 installed.
Next week it goes in so I will update with more information.

Thought this might help some others with the same issue.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I install the iSimple ISFD11 and a the SCC1 tuner all the time for the Ford dealers. You can only set 6 presets but you get 18 of them with SAT1, SAT2, SAT3. The other difference is after you have pressed the Sirius button past teh SAT3 you have to press it about 5 more times to loop back around to the SAT1 menu again. This being due to the unit being universal and allowing to add other inputs into it such as auxiliaries, HD radio, ipod control, bluetooth and others which is usually not needed in most trucks that have the Sirius button.

All-in-all it's a nice option to go with for a $100 cheaper or more cheaper. The Ford tuner always seems to be out of stock when I'm trying to get my hands on it and the price scares most customers away.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
KC, good info thanks!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Got the tuner installed today. The unit says FORD right on it and functions exactly like the factory unit in every way. My installer put the antenna on the roof just in front of the brake light. I actually think this antenna is better than the factory unit because when I got into the trees that usually are a minor problem, I never lost signal.
If anyone is in the Atlanta area and wants his # PM me. He is a professional that has been doing installs a long time. Has a shop in the North Atlanta Area. Most of his business is direct with Dealerships on new vehicles. $429 installed.
I imagine there are other installers just like him that work with dealerships the same way all around the country.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I need to/want to do the exact same thing. Do you know what I need to ask for locally to do this?

Is it an actual Ford radio? I'm in West Chester, Pa.

Quick Reply: Adding Sat Radio Tuner 2011 F150