Lifetime Subscription

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifetime Subscription

When you purchase a new truck, could you include the cost of a lifetime subscription in the cost of the truck(finance this in and never have to worry about it again) Has anyone done this or know of someone who has?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, there is not life time sub available anymore.

Lee

Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by dasher108
As far as I know, there is not life time sub available anymore.

Lee
In the second year of my Sirius subscription I was offered and bought the lifetime. However it is for the sat reciever radio and not the vehicle.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Larryw1
In the second year of my Sirius subscription I was offered and bought the lifetime. However it is for the sat reciever radio and not the vehicle.
Just curious, how long ago was that. I was told lifetime subs were cancelled in 2010

Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by dasher108
Just curious, how long ago was that. I was told lifetime subs were cancelled in 2010
it was in 2010 about 9 months ago maybe 11 months. that is strange that sirius radio canceled I must be lucky ... unless my radio breaks

Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I believe in late 2010 I set up my wife with a lifetime contract. I could see them doing away with it since XM charges double for liftiem and you can't transfer the radio like you can with Sirius. I know they do not advertise it, you have to ask about it.

dan

Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Since the question had been raised on whether a Sirius lifetime subscription was still available or not, as of tonight I can attest that it is. You have to call 1-888-539-7474 to sign up -- it is no longer listed as an option on the radio activation website at siriusxm.com.

The price has gone up to $699 + applicable taxes and fees. (It used to be $399 the last time I bought one about a year ago.)

There is a $74 "music royalty fee" plus a $15 radio activation fee -- those fees are unchanged from before -- plus applicable sales tax (at least in MN where I live; I suspect it applies everywhere).

My total came to just under $850 including all the fees and taxes. Prior to making the final decision, I calculated that's about four years worth of recurring subscription charges (by the time you factor in the royalty fee + tax on each recurring charge as well). Since I plan to keep the plan for more than four years, it still worked out to be the best choice for me even with the price increase.

Note that the lifetime subscription can be transferred to another radio (up to three times, for a $75 fee each time) on portable radios only -- not on factory-installed car radios. So in the case of a car radio, buying the lifetime subscription makes sense only if you plan to keep the car for at least four years (or whatever the break-even point is given the price at the time you sign up).

Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
And that is why I have stuck with SkyFi Portable Recievers and docking stations and boom boxes .... they are tough, chep now for spares off ebay, etc, and I have accumulated docking stations and wired modulators for every vehicle, and have about 5 recievers as several came with packages off ebay where someone was getting out. I have XM plus best of Sirus on one, lifetime, cost 499 several years ago and it is good for lifetime ..... and I can move sub to other rev=cievers and "may" be charged $75 for doing so. My original ereciever that lived in my police car through heat and cold and etc for 8 years is still active on a year by year basis though I once had a good 5 year plan on it that expired.

SkyFi ones are tough as nails, I know one guy who's dropped his 3 times on hard surfaces and just snapped it back together and it still cranks out the music. My original has survived coffee spills as well, and the dismatling and cleaning with alcohol or tuner cleaner and drying out.

On my cars, the antenna is mounted with a piece of black velcro on the dash at the base of the windshield, on the 07 F150 I adapted the Ford Sirius antenna to fit XM docking station with an extension and use it.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-15-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
I think will wait for them to call me when my intro subscription expires and after reading this, I don't know that I would want to pay upfront for an extended contract.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolog...aded-for-fall/

Old 12-14-2011, 08:01 AM
The only way I'd buy a lifetime membership is if it was $300 as it was when I bought my 2008 Mustang... and given that satellite radio is probably doomed to fail now with cell phone on demand streaming services... they'd have to give me a money back guarantee.

I'm sorry Sirius but we're Siriusly done.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by jon_herr
The only way I'd buy a lifetime membership is if it was $300 as it was when I bought my 2008 Mustang... and given that satellite radio is probably doomed to fail now with cell phone on demand streaming services... they'd have to give me a money back guarantee.

I'm sorry Sirius but we're Siriusly done.
Couldn't agree more. Even tho I have lifetime Sirius on my '08 Screw (bought in Nov. 2007), I would not do it over if I had the chance. Nowadays, I listen to more Pandora (free) than anything, and love the ability to set up my own channels. Admittedly, Pandora does have commercials, but IMHO theirs are less intrusive than the DJ chatter on the non-commercial Sirius channels.

Glad I don't own any Sirius/XM stock!

Quick Reply: Lifetime Subscription