Where is your xm antenna?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 08FX4
If you have the factory Sirius option and change out to an aftermarket unit you can use the factory connection behind the radio and utilize the factory roof mounted antenna. This is of course assuming that you are changing to an aftermarket headunit.
OK, I've read this several places from folks who've done it.

My '07 has factory Sirius, but I use my XM with life sub in a cradle between vehicles and boom box. I am going to use a Pro-Fit VSM G3 mount system for my cradle which will put it just to the right of the radio (blocking the right AC outlet from driver maybe, but that's OK).

Is this factory cable from the Sirius antenna long enough if undone from clips, etc, to come out under pass side of dash and up beside console to the right of the radio?

I have a wired in modulator I'm going to use as soon as my adapter cable set for the Motorola plugs to Ford radio plugs get's here, I was thinking of routing the line out and power wire in a piece of flexi covering up this way and would include the ant wire, tie top of covering off at mount as a strain relief.

I could get a 10 foot extension, shortest I've found, if need be.

Alternatively, I can lay the wires across top of dash, in front of pass air bag, under my carpeted like molded dash cover? If I did this, I'ld run them all three together .... just not bundled in a covering but spread out flat like so no humps in my dash cover.

I like the idea of using that factory antenna.

Edited:

No replys, so guess no one here has actually done it .... but I have now .... and the factory Sirius antenna lead would be long enough to reach an XM if you put it in the glove box. It lacked a couple feet to reach where I put my XM cradle with my routing, so I used a 10 foot extension. Removed the yellow plastic clip and stuck that back on the Sirius radio that I'm just toting around.

Great reception.

Last edited by tbear853; 07-17-2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put both the sirrus and nav antenna's inside on the dash......one on each side of the little headlight sensor that is already there....i will add pic

not a great pic but heres mine....

Last edited by Gtullous; 10-27-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 PM
Mounted mine there also. No problems at all, great reception.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM
The XM antenna or my '09 Ultra Classic is inside the fairing an inch or so forward and below the windshield.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by tg150
My installer had my Sirius antenna pop out the 3rd brakelight and is mounted on the roof.. Then sealed around the light..

Same thing I did except I was the installer.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I took my third light off and ran it from there to the xm receiver.

Easy to do. no leaking in over a year.
Works great.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SiriusXm Frame antenna mounting??

Originally Posted by Smokin Lariat
Do you really want to go outside? If you pull your HU and look behind it you will find a big metal crossbar. If your Sat radio antenna is magnetic it's a great place to mount it. If not, you can tie wrap it in place there, Know several who've done so, including me, and reception is great.

Do a little searching here and you'll find some threads that address this.
Old I know but does this ^^^ work? I have been over every possible mounting location and don't like any of them. I do understand the theory of making the truck an antenna by using this bar connected to the frame at some point, but will it work for the new SiriusXm antenna's? My truck is an 04 SCAB, my head unit is a Kenwood DNX890-HD made for GPS & satellite radio. I have had it for 4-5 years I guess and use every other feature on the HU, with the current Crutchfield $69.99 price, with a $70 rebate (after paid service), and 3 months all access and activation included I took the plunge. The interesting thing about my Kenwood GPS antenna is that its designed to be installed on the dash, even came with a metal stick on plate that dash mounts and gives the antenna a magnetic mount plate. Seeing as how Kenwood/Garmin have done this already, does SiriusXm not get in the inside mount game? The location they give for trucks is center of the roof just above the windshield trim, I want it inside!

Old 10-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Before I did the extension of the Sirus antenna lead that goes to the already OEM Sirus antenna on my roof, I simply had the XM antenna at the base of the windshield dead center on dash. I still have it in that location in 2 T-birds, a Merc GM, my '77 F150 .... and the Forester. On our Mustang, it's under the rear parcel shelf mat in a dip in the metal underneath looking up through that back glass.

On the 5 that I have it at the base of the windshield dead center, they are magnetic antennas sitting on a small piece of sheet metal which has black tape on top and Velcro on bottom. Only the '77 has reception problems ..... because '77 F-150s had steep windshields. When traveling northwards, I have "dead spots" with it.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:31 PM
I mounted mine inside as well after trying it outside. My Kenwood GPS has an antenna that is designed to be mounted inside, I don't have a picture of both but they are side by side in front of the dash tray on the 04-08's. In town depending which way I go on Main St. I get drop out inside and out, if it cant see the sky to pick up one of the two active satellites (there are 3 but only 2 in use at a time) it will happen no matter where its mounted. I did try the support bar behind the head unit but reception was dismal at best, I think the older XM or Sirius specific antennas are designed differently, the new ones need a sky view. Scosche makes a magnetic flush mount kit with metal 3M flat plates that work great for inside mounts. In the picture you can see the Kenwood GPS antenna, same idea just next to it on the left.

Old 12-26-2016, 07:10 PM
So the buildings on Main St. in town would completely block the signal heading East only. Curious to see if it would improve I moved it to the center just above the windshield which is actually where SiriusXM recommends placement on trucks. Well that was a waste of effort but its going to stay there now since I pulled all the trim and gaskets to keep it from getting pinched in the door. There is a MILD improvement but its actually more annoying to have it cut in and out then just stay off until I get past the trouble spots. The wiring is completely hidden from outside with one turn visible with the hood open and I really don't like the way it looks up there, I need to get a picture of it. I did put a clear adhesive rubber piece between the paint and magnet, almost twice the size of the antenna piece thinking it might move a bit in car washes or when removing snow and forgetting its up there. Oh well live and learn, in our trucks its perfectly fine on the dash next to the GPS antenna I posted above, save yourself the time and effort of pulling trim, headliners, 3rd brake light and whatever else is in the way. One point * when I bought the truck from CarMax back in 2009 it had an older style XM antenna mounted on the roof, professionally I believe, ran through the 3rd brake light. I didn't even know it was up there until the first time it rained and the top of my rear seat was wet. It was sealed up all around the light with clear silicone and it still leaked, over time mounting through the light WILL leak eventually, pretty sure the silicone was an after thought to try and fix the leaking. I guess it worked for a while but still failed and leaked again, I removed it and replaced the entire light assembly with an LED model and new gasket, 7 years in and NO leaks!

Old 12-26-2016, 07:37 PM
There it is up there, like I said it is the recommended location according to SiriusXM.

SiriusXM antenna recommended truck location<br/>

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Old 04-17-2020, 03:27 PM
Did you install a gps antenna as well for your info system?

Old 04-20-2020, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Greg Marich
Did you install a gps antenna as well for your info system?
If this question was for me … NO.

2007, no "info system" like in our '19 Forester? I have GPS that goes with Streets to make laptop a GPS, I have Garmin too.

If you meant this for another poster, well, "oooops!" comes to mind.

I went for a couple years with the XM antenna inside at base of windshield like I said, but had this unused Sirius antenna on the roof, so I repurposed it. In use, not much difference that I see, except the antenna isn't on the dash.
I still have XM antennas on the dash of three cars and in my '77 F-150, I have it loose so I can move it to Velcro on passenger seat back if traveling north … in a Mustang the XM is under a carpeted rear package tray cover under that hue window and it works great ... and even on our trike, a GL1500 based Lehman Trike, the XM is on a plate in the INSIDE top of the travel trunk, which has a metal rack mounted too, it works fine through the ABS as it does glass, the rack doesn't seem to hurt either.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-20-2020 at 03:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is your xm antenna?