Sirius (non Factory) - Install Confirmation

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius (non Factory) - Install Confirmation

Just want to confirm before making my purchases..

I have an '06 F150 Harley with the 6 CD factory head unit. It has the Aux button, but no Sirius satellite factory installed. I plan on purchasing the Sirius Sportster 5 with home and vehicle kit.

Am I correct in thinking that I can buy that PIE Aux adapter kit for the truck, pull the factory deck, make the connections at the back, and then plug the Sportster 5 into the PIE audio out connectors,and off I go?

If that's the case.. can anyone confirm how the trim around the stereo/HVAC pops off? I was playing with it a bit on the weekend, and it doesn't seem like it really wants to come off easily, and I didn't want to break anything. Any advice or diagrams on how to remove this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much..

Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Before you pull it, do you have an output somewhere (aren't the ipod or aux connectors on the top of dash tray?) ? If so, you get the wire that goes from there to the back of the sportster. This way, you push aux, you get clear sirius radio. I know because my dad's 08 f-350 has this and he drives it cross country no problem. If not, I think the PIE adapter would be good. The trim is usually a press and snap clip so pry it off with your fingers gently from the top or a corner.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Start at the bottom of your trim and work your way up. Dont know how much the PIE adapter costs, but a FM modulator will sound just as good as an Aux input will, and you wont have any wires on top of your dash since it installs behind your radio.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 PM
From what I understand, the '06 model had the Aux button, but not the jack in the tray on top of the dash.. I believe they put the jack in starting in '07.

As for the FM Modulator, many of the posts I read advised to go the Aux method using the PIE (believe around $75 USD) with RCA connectors as this would give much better sound than the FM Modulator.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 PM
Sportster 5 has an audio output. Just buy an aux cable and plug that in. Hit aux on cd player and viola, CD quality sound, no need for pulling the trim, unless you want it hardwired, which makes for a cleaner install. If you buy an FM transmitter, then you might need some antenna adapters, chrysler on later model trucks

Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by GSinstallguy
Sportster 5 has an audio output. Just buy an aux cable and plug that in. Hit aux on cd player and viola, CD quality sound, no need for pulling the trim, unless you want it hardwired, which makes for a cleaner install. If you buy an FM transmitter, then you might need some antenna adapters, chrysler on later model trucks
wont work he has an 06 so no AUX input. Save up a bit longer and buy a nice sirius ready double din. Then get the reciever and have everything nicely tucked away in the dash.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Great idea Paralyzer, but I live out in the sticks and really like the idea of the portable Sporster 5 that I can bring in the house, dock, and run through my home stereo as well. The double din option is a great in vehicle solution, but then I still need something for the house...

Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by bwlandu
From what I understand, the '06 model had the Aux button, but not the jack in the tray on top of the dash.. I believe they put the jack in starting in '07.

As for the FM Modulator, many of the posts I read advised to go the Aux method using the PIE (believe around $75 USD) with RCA connectors as this would give much better sound than the FM Modulator.
I install FM Mods all day long in all types of cars, and have yet to have any issues with sound quality. Transmitters are a different story, but mods work great. Especially since you say you live out in the sticks...where there is less of a chance for any type of interference from other FM stations. Ultimately its your call, $30 vs. $75.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by GSinstallguy
He'd have to pull it install the PIE adapter.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I do have the FM mod as well, never an issue with sound quality. Yes, this is the way to go since you don't have the dash tray plug and yes less wires to see.

Quick Reply: Sirius (non Factory) - Install Confirmation