Any factory satellite owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any factory satellite owners out there?

I just upgraded to a 6/cd mp3 audiophile with factory subwoofer. And I was lucky to find that i had a subwoofer harness from the factory already installed. Now i'm looking into getting the factory sirius satellite reciever, and wondered if that harness is there too, how does it hook up, and what about an antenna?

Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I think your looking at a pile of dough for factory Sirius stuff, especially if you need the radio headunit with the Sirius button. I'd get down to Canadian Tire for $50 they have Starmate 5's on this week. You can't beat that deal. Get a FM direct connect from probably Best Buy (don't see Sirius accessories too often at C.T) and plug in line with the antenna. This combo yields very nice reception. Just a suggestion.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:14 AM
im not 100% because my truck came stock with sirius, but that head unit has the sirius button right?

all you should need in theory is the antenna and wires for it. stock it is mounted on the roof right above the passenger. im sure if you went to the dealership and asked them they could tell you more. in theory the head unit should have the sirius receiver built in. if it doesnt check the back of it for the extension port and you can pick up one of the sirius receivers from sirius. but again im almost positive that its built in

and an idea, check out the back of your head unit, see if their is a port for the antenna and if it is the same as the jack on the sirius antennas then just but one of them. they are cheap and that way you wouldnt have to cut your roof or anything and it would look just as clean...

if you look closely to my picture you can see the antenna, its the little black bump between the windshield and the sunroof

Last edited by ZeroDormancy; 02-01-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:15 AM
The Sirius receiver is not part of the head unit. The Sirius receiver is a separate module that is mounted just below the radio behind the HVAC controls.

I'm not sure if a truck w/o Sirius from the factory will have the wiring harness already or not. If I remember right, the harness is just connected inline with some other items -- it's not like it's a major piece.

Should you buy a stock Sirius receiver, any Sirius antenna will hook into it.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:13 PM
i got a factory sirius box $100 if you want it

Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Actually, if you have an ipod plug (on the top of dash in the sunk in part) then you should have an AUX button. Get a regular starmate 5 and the cable from that to the ipod and it works great. It's a lot cheaper likely, the units are $50 like I said at Canadian Tire and the cord for the ipod aux plug was I think $10-20.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
factory head unit will run 150 to 200 and you can do like blue2004 said for about 60 to 100 and get the same set up and more!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks Guys, i think i'll look into an after market one, i just want it out of site. A buddy seen one installed in the guys ashtray. He flips it out to use, and pushes it back in to be hidden when parked. Keep it clean and unscene! Cheers Al

Old 02-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I have the Audiophile factory stereo in my 2006 FX4 Supercrew. I bought the Ford Sirius module on ebay for $100 brand new with 6 months free subscription. The harness was bought from our local Ford dealer for $25. It is a short cable with 3 ends to it (power plug, sirius end and head unit plug. It plugs into the center rear jack on the head unit. The sirius antenna was bought at Canadian Tire. I mounted the antenna under the windshield cowl on the passenger side.

The system works great and the head unit displays the sirius information when you press the aux button. The sound is great as it's connected directly through the head unit unlike aftermarket units which play through your FM radio.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks, that sound like the way to go. Good ole Crappy Tire A must in every town. Cheers

Quick Reply: Any factory satellite owners out there?