SIRIUS merge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS merge?

What is SIRIUS merging with? I was looking at recievers on there website (I wanted to know if i got a good deal on the one i already have) an it says "We guarantee that no SIRIUS radio will become obsolete as a result of the merger"

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...1&oldParentID=

click the link, then run your mouse over the last picture on in the gallery

Old 05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
The main reason i bought SIRIUS insted of XM is because of Howard Stern's contract with SIRIUS. If it wasent for him, I wouldent even own a satellite radio. Will the merger effect this? I did a search an i couldent find anything about a merger.....

Old 05-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Old 05-26-2008, 05:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, there is only two sat radio networks out there, Sirrus and XM, who do you think they are merging with.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Well, there is only two sat radio networks out there, Sirrus and XM, who do you think they are merging with.

Should have signed that as "Mr. Obvious" ala the character on Bob and Tom....

Steve

Old 05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4

EDIT- too cruel.....

Last edited by Ranger7489; 05-26-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:54 PM
DRJ
I talked to my sirius rep the other day and no major changes are coming anytime soon. I bet though, that XM and Sirius are going to be 2 different services just like always. It's just like Kmart owning Sears, you don't see Kmart logos inside of Sears or vice versa. But who knows

Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by DRJ
I talked to my sirius rep the other day and no major changes are coming anytime soon. I bet though, that XM and Sirius are going to be 2 different services just like always. It's just like Kmart owning Sears, you don't see Kmart logos inside of Sears or vice versa. But who knows
....except Kmart does not own SEARS (or vice versa). You need to do your homework. Obviously you haven't looked in either a Sears or Kmart recently.

It will take up a year or so (assuming the FCC doesn't screw up the deal) for inter-operable receivers to get to the market in significant numbers that are capable of receiving both data streams simultaneously. Until those receivers are available, customers will be limited to receiving programming that is available only on the original signal platform.

Steve

Old 06-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Sorry, but Sears does own K-Mart. Here is a weblink of their latest earnings -- Sears sales declined 9.8% and K-Mart sales declined 7.1%. I believe they merged because misery loves company. http://www.searsholdings.com/pubrel/...-29-0004822404

BTW, you will notice a little cross-selling -- I was in K-Mart last weekend and they are selling Craftsman tools there.

To the topic on hand, I believe you are correct -- it will be a year or so before receivers are built to handle both brands. I also believe they will be separate services, with a few common channels that you can pick from. Until then, I would advise people to look at the lineups to see which one better meets their needs. After listening to Sirius for six months, I swapped the Sirius receiver out for an XM receiver. XM seems to have better audio quality.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
....except Kmart does not own SEARS (or vice versa). You need to do your homework. Obviously you haven't looked in either a Sears or Kmart recently.

It will take up a year or so (assuming the FCC doesn't screw up the deal) for inter-operable receivers to get to the market in significant numbers that are capable of receiving both data streams simultaneously. Until those receivers are available, customers will be limited to receiving programming that is available only on the original signal platform.

Steve

Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Kmart was purchased by Eddie Lambert of ESL Investments out of bankruptcy. He then conned Sears into merging into a totally new entity - Sears Holding Corporation (SHC).

Sears does not own K-Mart. Kmart does not own Sears. Both are entities within SHC.

Again, it's all about doing your homework.

Since I've worked there for four and a half of the last six years, I've well versed in what the corporate structure is.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-07-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Kmart was purchased by Eddie Lambert of ESL Investments out of bankruptcy. He then conned Sears into merging into a totally new entity - Sears Holding Corporation (SHC).

Sears does not own K-Mart. Kmart does not own Sears. Both are entities within SHC.

Again, it's all about doing your homework.

Since I've worked there for four and a half of the last six years, I've well versed in what the corporate structure is.
http://www.portfolio.com/news-market...Sears-Problems
"Three years ago this month, Kmart, led by chairman Eddie Lampert, announced plans to buy Sears for $12 billion, uniting two of the retailing world’s most recognizable, though faltering, brands under the umbrella of Sears Holdings. "

http://www.searsholdings.com/
"Sears Holdings Corporation, the publicly traded (NASDAQ: SHLD) parent of Kmart and Sears, Roebuck and Co., is the nation's fourth largest broadline retailer with over $50 billion in annual revenues and approximately 3,800 full-line and specialty retail stores in the United States and Canada."

You can sugar coat and spin it all you want... SHC owns BOTH Sears and Kmart... so the only correction needed is that SEARS HOLDING COMPANY owns Sears AND Kmart (and anyone want to guess why it's called "SEARS Holding Company?)

Again... semantic

Thanks for the "insider" point of view... I guess anyone who has not worked at the failing companies for 4 years would not know these things.

Now can we get back to Sat. Radio?

Old 06-08-2008, 02:14 PM
You can sugar coat and spin it all you want... SHC owns BOTH Sears and Kmart... so the only correction needed is that SEARS HOLDING COMPANY owns Sears AND Kmart (and anyone want to guess why it's called "SEARS Holding Company?)

Again... semantic
Not a matter of either semantics or spin. However, you finally have it right.

Now can we get back to Sat. Radio?
All we can do is wait for the FCC to finish pulling its collective pud.

Steve

Old 06-09-2008, 04:46 AM
DRJ
O chet my bad I meant to add a " " mark around owns, because yes they merged. talk about a hijacked thread.. I was merely bringing up a point..

n e ways has any1 seen the a la carte sat. radio stations that might be offered?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 AM
The proposed package pricing, including a la carte options, are all posted on the site that warrantyvoider posted.

A la cart offerings will only be available to owners of the next generation of inter-operable receivers. Current receivers will only be able to receive offerings that are on the original technical platform, plus a small selection of the other service's offerings. Inter-operable receivers won't be available until some time after the merger approval is secured, assuming it ever gets done.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-09-2008 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: SIRIUS merge?